Cylinder misfire (check engine light is on)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 01:34 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder misfire (check engine light is on)

I got code P0303 which is Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. About an year ago, I had to reset the code because Cylinder 1 misfire. I don't know why it keep happen. Is this common problem on our car?

Is misfire just simple false code? Do I need to check anything else??

OH BTW, it happened when I was warming up the car so it's not that I was racing anything...
Old 02-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just took my car in (99) for the same thing.. I had multiple misfire codes stored in there. I was told it was bcause I was waiting too long before filling up and contaminants were getting past the fuel filter... don't know how true that is, but they told me to use Chevron gas for a while (I almost exclusively use chevron, but have used shell/texaco a couple times....) I will stick to Chevron and see if the problem goes away.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had my old infiniti I30 (99). I was sitting at a light and felt this god awful shimey. I was like.... Okaayyyy. This happened repeatedly for like 2 monthes. So one day I was merging on the freeway, and i floored the car to get in front of a transport, and it felt like the tranny was slipping hard, revs went haywire, shimmys are bad, and chimes start going off, and finally my check engine light stayed on. It was a wonderful experience. But anyways, i took it straight to nissan, who detected a cylinder 5 misfire. They told me it was either a bad coil, spark plug, fuel injector, or just a bad connection. I didn't fix it, because I was in the process of looking for a new car anyways (my TL!). But it was terrible, and I hated it, but the TL is perfect.... no problems! Good luck!

-Ryan
'99 SSM TL
Old 02-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rhizopod
I just took my car in (99) for the same thing.. I had multiple misfire codes stored in there. I was told it was bcause I was waiting too long before filling up and contaminants were getting past the fuel filter... don't know how true that is, but they told me to use Chevron gas for a while (I almost exclusively use chevron, but have used shell/texaco a couple times....) I will stick to Chevron and see if the problem goes away.
I know running below 1/2 tank of gas kinda f*^ks up your fuel pump but I didn't know about the cylinder thing
Old 02-18-2003, 11:44 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by rhizopod
I always fill up my gas with either Chevron/Mobil. The advisor asked me samething last night. "What kind of gas do you use?"

Old 02-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Instructor

songoku
Stay away from Mobil gas. When I was at the Honda Training Center in Moorestown NJ, I asked about the common problem with the misfire codes P0301-4 on the civics back in 98,99 and was told that those that called American Honda to ***** about the problem all seemed to be filling up with Mobil gas. I was advised to tell the customers to try using a different brand of fuel and if they used high test not too (civics) " Go by the owners manual".
Also a misfire code can be tripped if the wheels spin. See what happens is this. The tires slip and grip and cause the crank to jerk(kick back) and the sensor could read that as a misfire. I didn't really believe it till the Honda instructor was able to do it... several attempts
As for running the tank low --- Nah a full tank will just keep the fuel pump cool.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I should stop waiting until I am running on fumes to fill up huh? I always wait until my gas light has been on for a couple of days before I fill it up.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I always have some problems with shudder when I run Chevron, its probably psychological, but I seem to run smoother on Phillips 66 gas.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Black TL,
I always run my tank very near to empty. I never had a pump failure either. Very rare for a fuel pump to go on honda. Now unlike a GM or Ford if you dont change the fuel filter often enough the fuel pump will draw more amperage causing the pump to fail. I was told at Honda Training that the fuel filter 'should' last a life time.............

Now that theory about about running the tank low and picking up crap in the tank is BS. Guess where the pickup is in the tank....at the bottom. The bottom of the pickup tube has a screen on it too. So if you have a full tank or empty tank your still sucking gas from the same spot. By the way todays gas stations have fuel filters (kinda looks like a huge oil filter) at the pumps. So getting crap in your tank is kinda rare.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think who ever told you that dirt get passed the fuel filter is BS. If dirt gets into the line, it'll end up in the filter and will stay there. That is what the filter is made to block out. Its sole purpose of existence is just that.
I remember 99 TL has a recall on ignition module. Perhaps your problem is related to this?
I have a 2002 TL. Mine never gave me any problem so far...or is it because I'm so damn paranoid about the tranny problem that nothing matters anymore?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:09 AM

I took my car in to the dealership: for a scheduled oilechange...

4 hours later I went to pick it up. THey suggested that I always keep my tank as full as possible. My fuel pump was dying. They quoted me 1000+ for a new fuel pump.

So to all you who like to drive your car until "E" please refrain from doing this. It will save you $$$
Old 02-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow - thx.... my light is on now, so I'll head over to the gas station. Anyone know about QuickTrip gas? They seem to have decent gas, and I always fill up there. It depends on my wallet whether or not I use premium too!

-Ryan
'99 SSM TL
Old 02-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Edr0e
I took my car in to the dealership: for a scheduled oilechange...

4 hours later I went to pick it up. THey suggested that I always keep my tank as full as possible. My fuel pump was dying. They quoted me 1000+ for a new fuel pump.

So to all you who like to drive your car until "E" please refrain from doing this. It will save you $$$
Thats pretty funny. If you went in for a simple oil change and they told you your pump is going I think someone wanted to rob you. Did you ask them how did they know, and what method of testing was performed?
Friggen dealers -- money hungry crooks
Old 02-19-2003, 01:56 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I just got my car last night. I had turbo timer in my car & they think that might has caused the problem. Because of that, they wouldn't do further inspection on my car(they wanted me to pay for diagnosis fee if I want to check).

On top of that, they tried to scaring me by saying "Your warranty might cancelled because of all those nick, nack things on my car" & I ended up paying rental fee by my own.

On my way back last night, I've noticed my GEX TV tuner doesn't work. I've tried to check the wire but couln't find where they disconnect. Moreover, they didn't even put the parts properly.

Old 02-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Racer

1k for a fuel pump replacement is crap. Haven't done it on a TL, but most fuel pumps sits in the fuel tank so after you unbolt is pretty easy to replace. It's just a pain to deal with the gas and fumes.

Are you sure he didn't say to keep your oil near full becasue your oil pump is dying? I can see that costing a pretty penny. I'd still see what diagnosis they performed to compe to that conculsion.