Customer loyalty program???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Customer loyalty program???

Does anyone know if Honda/Acura offers some kind of incentive or have a loyalty program for returning customers?

I got my TL-S last month and my father's looking into Honda Odyssey.

Thank you
Old 08-21-2001, 06:07 PM
tea elle

I don't think so. I do think that by being a repeat customer at a given dealership you will make the process of getting the best deal much easier. My dealer in LA did anything within reason to keep me from buying at another dealer. I got my TL-S w/navi for 31K.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Yes they do!!

Sign up at the Acura.com website. Occasionally they will offer special lease deals or other incentives to current Acura customers. When I bought my CL, it was with a coupon they sent me for $1000 off any new Acura purchase (lease or buy). It was great, because I negotiated a killer deal and THEN whipped out the coupon! The dealership doesn't care, because they get the cash back from corporate.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

I bought an MDX in January and a TL-S in March. I got $500 off the TL-S from Acura HQ because I was a returning Acura (Honda’s don’t count) customer. I think this program is in effect all the time. If you don't mention that you know about it to the dealer they'll negotiate the deal and then make the $500 claim against Acura keeping it as additional profit. In other words, you may not get the best deal unless you negotiate your best price first and then ask to have the $500 deducted.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BarryH
I bought an MDX in January and a TL-S in March. I got $500 off the TL-S from Acura HQ because I was a returning Acura (Honda’s don’t count) customer. I think this program is in effect all the time. If you don't mention that you know about it to the dealer they'll negotiate the deal and then make the $500 claim against Acura keeping it as additional profit. In other words, you may not get the best deal unless you negotiate your best price first and then ask to have the $500 deducted.
I was a current Acura owner. Bought the other car used. Would have been nice to know that ahead of time anyway.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Yes they do. Usually 1,000 off. I also got no security or app. fee on the lease.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:59 AM
tea elle

Originally posted by mmski1
Yes they do. Usually 1,000 off. I also got no security or app. fee on the lease.
I got my TL-s for 31K with navi....are you trying to tell me that Acura could have given me an even better deal somehow? I think your mistaken.

I guess the average buyer who accepts the offer of $1,000 off might be satisfied if they're paying close to MSRP...but I'd like to know how I could have done better...seems impossible.
Old 08-23-2001, 02:34 AM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Originally posted by tea elle

I got my TL-s for 31K with navi....are you trying to tell me that Acura could have given me an even better deal somehow? I think your mistaken.

I guess the average buyer who accepts the offer of $1,000 off might be satisfied if they're paying close to MSRP...but I'd like to know how I could have done better...seems impossible.
I agree. If the dealer quotes you a rather high price, then an incentive deal might come into play to lower it somewhat. If you're already getting a killer deal, like the one above, then there's not much room to bargain with.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

That's not the way this program works! You negotiate the best deal you can with the dealer, THEN the owner loyalty discount is applied. You can even buy the car for less than invoice this way! The dealership actually gets as much money as the deal you negotiate, it's just that Acura corporate pays the first $500 or $1000. It has nothing to do with what price you negotiate!
Old 08-23-2001, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Iceman
That's not the way this program works! You negotiate the best deal you can with the dealer, THEN the owner loyalty discount is applied. You can even buy the car for less than invoice this way! The dealership actually gets as much money as the deal you negotiate, it's just that Acura corporate pays the first $500 or $1000. It has nothing to do with what price you negotiate!
You're wrong. I bought two Acura's from the same salesman within 90 days so we sort of became buds. He told me they frequently submit the loyalty bonus claim to Acura without the customer's knowledge in order to make more on the deal. I'm not defending the ethics of this but it's something returning Acura customers should be aware of. I didn't know about the program when I bought the second car and the dealer could have done the same thing to me and I would have been none the wiser. So the only way to know for sure you're getting the best deal is to negotiate first and then have the dealer deduct the loyalty bonus.
Old 08-23-2001, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I think you repeated what I just said. How does that make me wrong?
Old 08-23-2001, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry Iceman,

When I first read your post I thought you were saying that the dealer always volunteered the loyalty discount and properly applied it. All I was saying is that since this is an undocumented program, some less ethical dealers don't disclose it and pocket the money that should have gone to the returning Acura customer. In re-reading your post, we did say basically the same thing.