Crash my TL to the opposite lane, rim flying off, $5000 for repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Crash my TL to the opposite lane, rim flying off, $5000 for repairs...

It was last Sunday and I live Florida, it was raining and the road was wet, so I know better to stay below speed limit (45mph). This guy in a white Toyota cut me off pushes me toward the median on U.S.-1. While I was trying to avoid getting hit from this Toyota, it made me hydro-slide toward the median. The first thing that hit the curb (median) was the Front Left Rim (18" Axis se7en) & the front bumper. When the Rim hit the curb it took off and starts flying across the opposite lane (luckily no one got hit by that wheels), and of course that the front bumper is damage. After the rim fell off, I totally lost control and did about four donuts (360) because I couldn’t stop with 3 wheels (while the front left suspension are sparking because the rim is missing), then the back of the car hit the median got a brunch of grass and mud under my car. Back then I had no control over the car, the front left wheel was gone and I was seating in my car waiting to Die, cause I notice that the car its sliding across the opposite lane...

"You were lucky, very lucky" the cops told me. There was a red-light ahead while I was sliding across the opposite lane and did another 180 in the opposite lane without getting hit by other cars. The guy who cut me off took off while the accident happen.
My front left suspension and brake is total. It took me 30 minutes in the rain to find the rim that flew off when I hit the median.

I would of have controlled over the car if that wheel didn't came off like it was suppose to begin with. I've talk to Axiswheels.com (on the phone) the company who I brought the wheels from told me that “EVERY WHEELS” they make WILL Bent, Cracked, and then “FLY OFF” doing accident that is between 40-45 mph. They’ve also told me that any rim that is in accident similar to my “Will Always Fly Off There Car Too” and “Axis doesn’t pay any parts doing accident on any cars that is equip with Axis Wheels”. Personally I think that Axis just doesn't want to take any responsibility over this kind of accident that might turn their company in to things that happen to Firestones Tires. Overall the damages cause $5000, and hopefully my TL will be on the road again without Axis Wheels in 3 weeks.

PS
Sorry for this long post and beware of what company or who you buy your Rims from!
Old 09-11-2001, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad you're OK.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:48 PM
Advanced

How would you rate the crash worthiness of your car? Did any of the airbags open? If so could you please describe. Just to give some perspective I had a friend with a similar wreck in his Toyota Solara. He lost control of his car in the rain, spun out, and hit a curb sideways. The impact knocked off both wheels on the passenger side of the car. The car continued spin and slid a short distance until it stopped. His car was completely totalled. Whats funny is his car basically didnt have a single scratch on it.

I was hit from behind a week ago today on the freeway. I was stopped completely in traffic and a 1991 Dodge Shadow plowed into me. The CHP officer estimated that he was going from 15-25mph at the point of contact. His airbag deployed and the car stalled and would not restart. Both of his front quarter panels where crunched. The hood bent back and the front end completely shattered and bent. His car completely totalled. He was standing on his brakes so hard that the nose of his car practically went underneath my rear bumper. My car faired pretty well really. The back bumper is scratched and cracked on the lower edge and the exhaust is bent up. Everybody that sees my car cant believe how little damage was done to my car.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

damm how can those rim flew off????
Glad ur OK.....i saw like 2 or 3 crash over this weekend...
and hope ur baby get back to road ASAP....
Old 09-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Instructor

The airbag didn't pop out, the only things that is damage is the front left suspension, the whole set of wheels(dent and crack), front bumper, and the underbody neon.
I think that Axis should pay some responsibility for this accident!
Old 09-11-2001, 05:47 PM
Instructor

glad you ok too,

but just 5k? my accident was just the rear bumper and some side panels and it was 10 k for everything.
you got lucky
Old 09-11-2001, 06:07 PM
Drifting

Glad you are ok and nobody was hurt. Are the police searching for the white toyota?
Old 09-11-2001, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SoundSpeed
Glad you are ok and nobody was hurt. Are the police searching for the white toyota?
No, the reason is that I didn't see his license plate number. Plus there is thoursand of white toyota in the state of Florida.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I am glad to hear that you are alright but...

I don't understand. How could it be your rim companies fault? I don't see how your rim flying off could have anything to do with the rim company. I don't mean to offend you but I just don't see it. I can see if the material was defective or something but from what you describe it doesn't seem like it. I would figure if you are going that fast your rim could very likely bust off...no matter what brand.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:15 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I noticed about accidents with TL involved(assume TL got hit from rear), is that TL get "jack up" from rear... ouch, hope that wouldn't hurt the chassis too much...

Andy Kuo
Old 09-12-2001, 04:02 AM
Racer

Glad that you are ok.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:55 PM
Instructor

And you guys doubted me when I posted that my car was hit by a wheel rolling down the road last month.......

TAT - sorry to hear about your car - glad to hear no one was hurt
Old 09-12-2001, 05:33 PM
Cruisin'

How you gonna blame the wheel company?
Sounds like user error to me.
Old 09-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Retired MOD

Talking

First of all, I'm sorry for what happen, I hope everything turns out OK.

There is no way your rim came off your car without been defective. The rim had to be defective. As my self with 18" rim also, hit a medium at around 70mph to 80mph and my rims DID not fly out. They got bent and crack and one of them lost the part of the out side lip, so that tells you that the rim hit very hard. Look at this pictures:
Old 09-12-2001, 05:56 PM
Retired MOD

Talking Look at the scene

Scene of the accident. Plus I think is going to be a little more than $5k for repairs. Mine are over $9k. Good luck on your repairs.