Cracked my windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked my windshield!

On the way home tonight, I go under a freeway overpass and a rock drops straight down and hits my windshield. We get chips all the time here in Houston and get them filled, but this one is different.

That rock was flying, because it hit the windshield HARD. It left a horizontal crack about 1.5 inches long, not the usual star. Also, it is right in front of the driver, in the area where they aren't allowed to fill it. Looked like the damn thing had already started spreading by the time I got home.

Anyone replaced a windshield on a TL? What can I expect to pay? Last time I had one done (on a Taurus) it was about $300, but I am worried the Acura windshield will be expensive because it has that temperature sensor on it.

Unfortunately, I have a $500 deductible on my insurance, so that probably won't help any.

On a lighter note, I did set a record. I managed to keep this car for 3.5 months before getting a chip in the windshield. That shatters the previous record of 6 weeks. Love those Houston freeways. It's just great that so many people around here drive their 1 ton duelly pickup trucks around town - don't they know that they don't live on a ranch, so why the hell are they driving a big work truck for their morning commute?
Old 08-10-2001, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk to Shoof, his bro broke the back window, think it costed around 700. The rear window is the most expensive because of the printed radio antenna and defroster. Best bet is talk to your dealer...sorry to hear that.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:58 PM
Banned

It just so happens I am taking it in Monday for scheduled maintenance, so I can get an estimate then. I just want to get an idea what others have paid, because the dealer usually gives outrageous estimates for stuff. They wanted $500 to install headers. Also, I have some small scratches on the front lip spoiler, where I hit a piece of truck tire on the freeway. They wanted $300 to fix it. I can buy the whole spoiler for about that much!
Old 08-11-2001, 01:39 AM
Racer

I took my 98 civic to a shop by Hilcroft and Harwin ( right next to Sonics). The dealer wanted to replace my windshield for $400 but i got it replaced there for $125. They did a pretty good job and they replaced it with a better one...it has one of those sun blocking blue things on the top. You should try that place out, the windshield should be the same as the older models so it shouldn't be that hard for them to get one. I don't remember the name...but its right next to sonics...kinda behind it is more like it.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:08 AM
Instructor

that sucks....sorry to hear that man
Old 08-11-2001, 02:14 AM
yee
Burning Brakes

when I was back in Toronto, Canada... my insurance (State Farm) allow me to claim 1 windshield every 2 years...without deductable. Not everyone knows about it, but it's covered in the policy...check and see if you have it, good luck

Mikester, I have a question too, what do you use to fill those tiny holes? I'm getting a few in mine, and I've no experience on it...thanks.
Old 08-11-2001, 03:31 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what they use to fill it. There are services you can call to fill those little star cracks you get when a rock hits you. We have probably had it done 6-8 times and it's always worked well. Insurance always covers it with no deductible, too. Only thing that sucks is most of the time, you can still see the star (not as bad as unfilled, but still visible), but it does keep it from spreading. I have only had one filled crack start spreading on me, and that was several years after it was filled.

I think I'll call my insurance company on Monday just to see. We used to have State Farm, but we have had the Travelers for several years now. Hopefully, they will have a similar policy for replacing windshields.
Old 08-11-2001, 05:56 PM
Instructor

sorry to hear what happened... as for the windshield, there is this company called PPG, they make excellent quality paint and they make windsheilds and windows for cars.

they have the OEM for all Honda's and Acura's for a excellent price.

my friend got everything done for about 300 including labor.

if you look on the Acura MDX they have HONDA/PPG windows stock.

just some info if your interested !
Old 08-12-2001, 08:06 PM
Pro

I had cracked my windshield a while back on my 2000 TL. There were 2 options to get it replaced: Genuine Acura/Honda windshield or an aftermarket replacement (looks exactly the same) for a lot cheaper.

I went with the Acura windshield and if I remember correctly, it cost me about 570 dollars total including the cost of the Acura windshield and the labor.

I too had a 500 deductible and so did not involve my Insurance company in the issue.