Confessions of a chronic VTEC addict: Volvo S60 high-speed race.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confessions of a chronic VTEC addict: Volvo S60 high-speed race.

Folks, I have not had the time to share “post worthy” events but I have to confess this VTEC addiction thing I am struggling with has got a hold of me and I believe worthy of sharing. I apologize in advance because this story is a little long. Just to preface this, I bought my blk-on-blk ’00 TL-P in Nov ’03 and absolutely love it. I just can’t stop driving it. This is my first automatic tranny and I think SS is just too much fun. Back in the day I’ve owned a blk 16V VW GTI, then a red ‘95 RX7 w/headers and free flow exhaust (my true love). I had a speed bug that got me into trouble as well (driving points). At one point the judge deemed me to be a chronic offender. I got married in ’96…kids, yadda, yadda….next thing you know I’m in a new Honda Accord, and I have had 3 Honda Accords in the last 7 years. The TL has brought back my racing spirit. I feel like the guy in that commercial volunteering to go anywhere. My wife wants me to go to the store 5 times a day, “no problem Hun, can I get you an ice coffee too?”… pick up paper towels, a quick blockbuster run, anything to get me in the car. You guys no the drill. To diffuse a spousal dispute, I’ll take it out on the windy road by a lake called Spot Pond road and ride VTEC between 2nd and 3rd gear for 2 or 3 laps, or take it on the freeway and hunt for a G35, A6, Accord, whatever it takes for high speed race. This has become an addiction, again. To make matters worse I have a daily 72-mile commute each way on route 495 (a long three lane road) everyday. I get to my office in ~40 minutes, avg speed ~95mph.

I apologize for being long winded, but please indulge me further as I am almost finished with this story.

In the last couple of weeks I have come to realize that VTEC= V8, as my MPG has been pretty low and my gas expense increasingly high. I attribute this to all the VTEC’ing I am doing. I find it way to easy to hit VTEC. As of Monday I made a commitment to my wallet ($60 bucks/wk on fuel) and my conscience to drive like a civilized person and keep it in “auto-mode” for a while, which I find really, really boring.

I was just starting to adjust to my new normal driving demeanor until I got hi-beamed by a guy on a Suzuki motorcycle this morning on the rte 495 commute. In a moment of unconsciousness and pure reflex, I throw it into SS, down 2 clicks to 3rd, and up 1 click to 4th @ 104mph, and I didn’t slow down till I hit 120mph and he is a speck in the mirror. He obviously was not trying to race, or he would have passed me easily. I switch over to the middle lane, slow it down to 75mph, and out of nowhere this Volvo S60 pulls up on my left and wants to play too. He caught me off guard while I was in 4th so he’s pulling away quickly. At this point I have already lost my self-control and start the chase. I’m at 115mph but he is 10 cars length ahead. We approach a small traffic jam ahead and both slow down. I catch up, pull next to him and nod with a smile. He nods back while talking on his Nextel. Well, I got a little annoyed that he blew by me at 100+mph, but to be on a Nextel while doing it (probably bragging about it smoking a TL) was not expectable to me.

We cruise through traffic for a 1/2 mile until I see an opening. Quick click to 2nd, than 3rd, flank far right, than far left, and I’m gone while he is stuck in the traffic hole. I pull out far enough to slow it back down to 3rd to 90mph just to set him up. I light a cigarette and wait for him to catch up. In true Hollywood style, as soon as he got within one car length, I flick the cigarette down on the road, and gunned it for about 6 miles. I get it to 120mph and he’s still ~4 car lengths behind me. This goes on for a stretch of 10 miles. Now I am weaving between cars, riding 3rd @ 90-100mph (which I am pretty good at, IMO)…. I see another opening, and I’m gone again 4th gear @115mph.
I see him in the rear view trying to wind out of the hole I left him in. My exit was coming up in a ¼ mile so I slow down as he coming up behind me, and wave him “asta la vista”. The S60 should have new respect for the TL.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a fairly safe driver, but I like to speed. I am not reckless, but this VTEC owns me. Is there an AA program for VTEC owners? Anyone have tips on self-control?

BTW I just ordered my UR SS pulleys, so this is definitely not going to get easier for me.

JAG:: Blk’00 TL-P w/2002 rear lights (temporarily stock)
Old 07-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Banned

wow , you are bored aren't you?
Old 07-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Peach Tea

lol awesome story, makes me wanna go out and hunt down some cars.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Peach Tea

oh yea, and be careful weaving in and out of cars at 90 - 100 mph, thats pretty dangerous dude. esp if you don't have driving skills like me

j/k
Old 07-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

Excellent! Enjoy safely. I have 7500 miles on my '03 TLS and I feel like I drive it like shit, I mean popping it in 2nd - 3rd all the time, get the RPM jumping and then slip to 4th and double step the accelerator to get the RPM going. Its f'ing awesome. Something tells me my tranny will go faster. But I don't think 00 TL has any tranny issues, so enjoy with care.

BTW s60 is not a car to be fooled with especially the S60 T5 i Believe, I think its pushing 245 horses or so, with 240 lbs of torque. None the less, seems like you're having fun, next time you pull up to an S60, be careful he might just know how to drive, or be a little more crazier than yourself.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Banned

Changing the pully makes that much diff?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:01 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Dude, thanks for the heads-up. I have the skills, what I don't have are the tires. I'm still riding on factory Michies.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajNYHC
Excellent! Enjoy safely. I have 7500 miles on my '03 TLS and I feel like I drive it like shit, I mean popping it in 2nd - 3rd all the time, get the RPM jumping and then slip to 4th and double step the accelerator to get the RPM going. Its f'ing awesome. Something tells me my tranny will go faster. But I don't think 00 TL has any tranny issues, so enjoy with care.

BTW s60 is not a car to be fooled with especially the S60 T5 i Believe, I think its pushing 245 horses or so, with 240 lbs of torque. None the less, seems like you're having fun, next time you pull up to an S60, be careful he might just know how to drive, or be a little more crazier than yourself.
I was more impressed with his braking. I mean this guy came barreling down on me at ~100mph and stopped on a dime before he got blocked out by another car.

JAG
Old 07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
You drive an '00 TL-P... it isn't THAT fast that you should be "hunting" for G35s.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:11 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrsteve
You drive an '00 TL-P... it isn't THAT fast that you should be "hunting" for G35s.
I have learned my lesson and have lost two out of three races to G35's. That is why the UR Pulleys are on the way. Don't forget: Drivers win races, not the cars.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Phil 4:13

Great story JAG!
It captivated me before my 47 mi commute home, i think i will have some fun too.
Thx for sharing, Be safe.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JAG
I light a cigarette and wait for him to catch up. In true Hollywood style, as soon as he got within one car length, I flick the cigarette down on the road, and gunned it
hehe

Originally Posted by JAG
Don't forget: Drivers win races, not the cars.

Good story.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:25 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you’d be short of comatose in a Type-S. :P
Old 07-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro

oh man great story! makes me want to go out and go fast. too bad my tickets that i've pasted on the liner of my car have shown me what speeding does to me LOL
Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG
I have learned my lesson and have lost two out of three races to G35's. That is why the UR Pulleys are on the way. Don't forget: Drivers win races, not the cars.
Well, yes, but to a point. The UR Pulleys don't do THAT much for our cars, don't know why you're gettin so excited.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:50 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my friend, you are a good story teller
Old 07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Your average speed is 95mph? there must not be alot of cops up there...id be locked up right now if that was my average speed LOL
Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Dr. TLS

This guy would be DANGEROUS with a Type S.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jayhawk815
Well, yes, but to a point. The UR Pulleys don't do THAT much for our cars, don't know why you're gettin so excited.
ugh.... you're right 8-13 whp and 10 lbs/ft throughout the powerband doesn't do THAT much Dyno proven.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Missing my Acura's

Drive Fast Take Chances ! Good To See Other Tl Drivers In Mass We Had A Meet Last Weekend! Stay In Touch Maybe U Can Make The Next One!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrsteve
ugh.... you're right 8-13 whp and 10 lbs/ft throughout the powerband doesn't do THAT much Dyno proven.
Actually the UR SS 3 piece mod provides the most gain of any single mod, excluding NOS or S/C. Not to mention the rev time is much faster with the lighter crank.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Banned

light a cigarette and wait for him to catch up. In true Hollywood style, as soon as he got within one car length, I flick the cigarette down on the road, and gunned it for about 6 miles.

HAHAHA You are the SHIT my friend

hahahahahah oh my

Tone it down there clint hahahaha
i love this guy
Old 07-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JAG
Actually the UR SS 3 piece mod provides the most gain of any single mod, excluding NOS or S/C. Not to mention the rev time is much faster with the lighter crank.

I know, I was using sarcasm

Old 07-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG
...To make matters worse I have a daily 72-mile commute each way on route 495 (a long three lane road) everyday. I get to my office in ~40 minutes, avg speed ~95mph...
...As of Monday I made a commitment to my wallet ($60 bucks/wk on fuel) and my conscience to drive like a civilized person and keep it in “auto-mode” for a while, which I find really, really boring...
First of all...I must commend you on your story. It is very well written (considering the other type of posts I see) and is very entertaining as well.

But...for a daily commute of 72-miles ONE WAY?! That's INSANE!

With that kind of distance, I'd be in heaven if I can make it to my office in ~40 minutes going 90+ MPH. My commute is ~35-miels one way and I'd be lucky to make it in 40 minutes.

The one concern I can see is that with your driving habbits...wouldnt' you think that statistics will eventually catch up? Before the UR pulleys, I'd first go through the list of preventative mods like...radar detector...laser shifter...license plate photoblocker...tire pressure monitor...as well as probably switching to sythetic oil?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Instructor

not to be a party pooper, but weaving in and out of traffic at 85-90mph is idiotic! Considering that you have a wife and kids, it's that much more stupid. Imagine if someone else was driving like that on the freeway and they were to hit your wife/kids. Would suck huh? Or how about you wreck your car, and your kids are now bastards? That probably wouldn't be as bad as if it didn't kill you, but instead paralyzed you.

IMHO, take it to the track. Weaving in and out of traffic is dumb and unsafe. You are not a "good/superior" driver at this rate. You are just the bigger idiot than the other person that doesn't dare weave in and out like you. Basically, it's who has the bigger "balls" to do this.

Anyhow, not here to pick on you or anything. Just venting as I see this kind of talk a lot on the TL forum. I see less of this "type" of talk on what you would expect on the "ricer" forums. (ie, WRX, Honda/Integra, etc).
Old 07-23-2004, 02:33 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by JAG
Folks, I have not had the time to share “post worthy” events but I have to confess this VTEC addiction thing I am struggling with has got a hold of me and I believe worthy of sharing. I apologize in advance because this story is a little long. Just to preface this, I bought my blk-on-blk ’00 TL-P in Nov ’03 and absolutely love it. I just can’t stop driving it. This is my first automatic tranny and I think SS is just too much fun. Back in the day I’ve owned a blk 16V VW GTI, then a red ‘95 RX7 w/headers and free flow exhaust (my true love). I had a speed bug that got me into trouble as well (driving points). At one point the judge deemed me to be a chronic offender. I got married in ’96…kids, yadda, yadda….next thing you know I’m in a new Honda Accord, and I have had 3 Honda Accords in the last 7 years. The TL has brought back my racing spirit. I feel like the guy in that commercial volunteering to go anywhere. My wife wants me to go to the store 5 times a day, “no problem Hun, can I get you an ice coffee too?”… pick up paper towels, a quick blockbuster run, anything to get me in the car. You guys no the drill. To diffuse a spousal dispute, I’ll take it out on the windy road by a lake called Spot Pond road and ride VTEC between 2nd and 3rd gear for 2 or 3 laps, or take it on the freeway and hunt for a G35, A6, Accord, whatever it takes for high speed race. This has become an addiction, again. To make matters worse I have a daily 72-mile commute each way on route 495 (a long three lane road) everyday. I get to my office in ~40 minutes, avg speed ~95mph.

I apologize for being long winded, but please indulge me further as I am almost finished with this story.

In the last couple of weeks I have come to realize that VTEC= V8, as my MPG has been pretty low and my gas expense increasingly high. I attribute this to all the VTEC’ing I am doing. I find it way to easy to hit VTEC. As of Monday I made a commitment to my wallet ($60 bucks/wk on fuel) and my conscience to drive like a civilized person and keep it in “auto-mode” for a while, which I find really, really boring.

I was just starting to adjust to my new normal driving demeanor until I got hi-beamed by a guy on a Suzuki motorcycle this morning on the rte 495 commute. In a moment of unconsciousness and pure reflex, I throw it into SS, down 2 clicks to 3rd, and up 1 click to 4th @ 104mph, and I didn’t slow down till I hit 120mph and he is a speck in the mirror. He obviously was not trying to race, or he would have passed me easily. I switch over to the middle lane, slow it down to 75mph, and out of nowhere this Volvo S60 pulls up on my left and wants to play too. He caught me off guard while I was in 4th so he’s pulling away quickly. At this point I have already lost my self-control and start the chase. I’m at 115mph but he is 10 cars length ahead. We approach a small traffic jam ahead and both slow down. I catch up, pull next to him and nod with a smile. He nods back while talking on his Nextel. Well, I got a little annoyed that he blew by me at 100+mph, but to be on a Nextel while doing it (probably bragging about it smoking a TL) was not expectable to me.

We cruise through traffic for a 1/2 mile until I see an opening. Quick click to 2nd, than 3rd, flank far right, than far left, and I’m gone while he is stuck in the traffic hole. I pull out far enough to slow it back down to 3rd to 90mph just to set him up. I light a cigarette and wait for him to catch up. In true Hollywood style, as soon as he got within one car length, I flick the cigarette down on the road, and gunned it for about 6 miles. I get it to 120mph and he’s still ~4 car lengths behind me. This goes on for a stretch of 10 miles. Now I am weaving between cars, riding 3rd @ 90-100mph (which I am pretty good at, IMO)…. I see another opening, and I’m gone again 4th gear @115mph.
I see him in the rear view trying to wind out of the hole I left him in. My exit was coming up in a ¼ mile so I slow down as he coming up behind me, and wave him “asta la vista”. The S60 should have new respect for the TL.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a fairly safe driver, but I like to speed. I am not reckless, but this VTEC owns me. Is there an AA program for VTEC owners? Anyone have tips on self-control?

BTW I just ordered my UR SS pulleys, so this is definitely not going to get easier for me.

JAG:: Blk’00 TL-P w/2002 rear lights (temporarily stock)

maybe im wrong, but isnt goin 90 in 3rd REAL close to redline?!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:44 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tpatel
maybe im wrong, but isnt goin 90 in 3rd REAL close to redline?!
remember, the guy's a VTEC whore, which is why his mileage is quite damn low

hehe jppp!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:41 AM
Banned

The Volvo S60R pumps out like 300hp and 290lb-ft... It's the fastest Volvo as far as I'm concerned as it does 0-60 in about 5.8 sec and 1/4 in 13.8ish. I think it's AWD or RWD too making it even nicer.

I never really cared for Volvos at all, but the S60R is awesome with it's 6SP tranny..
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
i

wow i had no idea the pulleys made that much of a difference
Old 07-23-2004, 12:40 PM
i

where could i find UR SS pulleys, or would the AEM pulleys do the same?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:43 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by moahdriven
wow i had no idea the pulleys made that much of a difference
i thought they were just for kicks! :o
Old 07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
i

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
i thought they were just for kicks! :o
would AEM pulleys do the same or are UR pulleys alot better? where could i find UR Pulleys?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:51 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by moahdriven
would AEM pulleys do the same or are UR pulleys alot better? where could i find UR Pulleys?
www.unorthodoxracing.com
Old 07-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

AEM pulleys are just for looks. The UR pulley is what makes power because the crank pulley is smaller so it underdrives the crank, plus it is MUCH lighter.

Do a search, many vendors sell the pulleys.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get headers and an intake, with the crank pulley you'll really be smiling....
Old 07-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by bacardi151
The Volvo S60R pumps out like 300hp and 290lb-ft... It's the fastest Volvo as far as I'm concerned as it does 0-60 in about 5.8 sec and 1/4 in 13.8ish. I think it's AWD or RWD too making it even nicer.

I never really cared for Volvos at all, but the S60R is awesome with it's 6SP tranny..

its actually AWD.. i was looking at picking up one a few weeks back but decided not to... although its a fast car its not a very good ride and well the interior really sucked...

i ended up buying a 2004 IS300 instead... it may not have as much power but there is great potential in the motor!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

^ IS300 mods = $$$$$$$
Old 07-24-2004, 12:57 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edgalang
First of all...I must commend you on your story. It is very well written (considering the other type of posts I see) and is very entertaining as well.

But...for a daily commute of 72-miles ONE WAY?! That's INSANE!

With that kind of distance, I'd be in heaven if I can make it to my office in ~40 minutes going 90+ MPH. My commute is ~35-miels one way and I'd be lucky to make it in 40 minutes.

The one concern I can see is that with your driving habbits...wouldnt' you think that statistics will eventually catch up? Before the UR pulleys, I'd first go through the list of preventative mods like...radar detector...laser shifter...license plate photoblocker...tire pressure monitor...as well as probably switching to sythetic oil?
I have not gotten a speeding ticket in over 10 years, so I will agree with you that I am due for the blue flashing lights. Back in the day of my GTI and RX7 I had in-dash detectors and I still managed to get in trouble. I now feel they provide a false sense of security and I rather is my instincts and place close attention to brake light patterns in front of me. By swithching lanes it provides full visibility of the road ahead and for traps.
And it really helps to know the road just like being intimate with a race track. But I appreciate the advise.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:16 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yoda
not to be a party pooper, but weaving in and out of traffic at 85-90mph is idiotic! Considering that you have a wife and kids, it's that much more stupid. Imagine if someone else was driving like that on the freeway and they were to hit your wife/kids. Would suck huh? Or how about you wreck your car, and your kids are now bastards? That probably wouldn't be as bad as if it didn't kill you, but instead paralyzed you.

IMHO, take it to the track. Weaving in and out of traffic is dumb and unsafe. You are not a "good/superior" driver at this rate. You are just the bigger idiot than the other person that doesn't dare weave in and out like you. Basically, it's who has the bigger "balls" to do this.

Anyhow, not here to pick on you or anything. Just venting as I see this kind of talk a lot on the TL forum. I see less of this "type" of talk on what you would expect on the "ricer" forums. (ie, WRX, Honda/Integra, etc).
Hello Yoda,
Don't be so judgemental. I know you mean well, but you have the impression that I am reckless fool. I am actually very cautious and more than my own life, I love my wife and kids and do not plan on dying in a car wreck. I just happen to feel a lot safer at high speed than just cruising at 60mph. I do not just weave in and out like a drunken high school kid. I drive defensively and IMO the speed provides me with more control and helps to avoid other vehicles. I am not saying I am immune to an accident, but I resent the "idiot" comment. I do have issues with folks that buy and drive perfomance vehicles and drive them like Model T antiques. Drive spirited and have some fun, once in a while!
Old 07-24-2004, 01:20 PM
JAG
Intermediate

Yup!

Quick Reply: Confessions of a chronic VTEC addict: Volvo S60 high-speed race.