comptech icebox

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
comptech icebox

I am having some major fit issues with installing my icebox. The upper box won't fit in with the quarter panel support to the subframe in place. Any suggestions?

Texas TLS
Old 12-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered my Icebox. I should get it next week. I read in the instructions some trimming would have to be done on the TL's to get the box to fit. If I get to your stage and have success, I'll let you know how I did it. If you figure it out first can you let me know how you did it? I also ordered the Tein SS with EDFC. That's going to be fun installing!

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a repost of what I posted in another Comptech Icebox thread:

More details needed, pmptxs,.... what part is not fitting? Is the hood not closing? Is the bottom part of your icebox not flush against the battery and sitting flat on the car metal with the duct aligned? Maybe my pics can be of assistance. I'll post a whole review later.

Here's the Icebox bottom sitting on the metal, screwed into position:

The plastic piece in the pic below needs to be trimmed:

All the stock parts which you won't be needing anymore :

Here's a close-up of the whole thing installed. The hood shuts without any problems! :

Here's a shot of the engine bay after installation:

Post if you have any updates or need any further assistance. I'll post a whole review later but let me tell you this: DEFINITELY WORTH IT! Good luck!
Old 12-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Instructor

You are instructed to remove the stock painted brace that is in the bottom of the old air box. When you install the "supplied" brakcet it faces downward and bolts into the unoccupied hole towards the front of the car. You don't have to remove the bolt that is already there. Oh, and you don't need to remove the battery or the front bumper (I didn't even remove the battery tie down). If you don't take out the battery, just be carefull not to touch the pos. terminal wiht any tools.

If you undo the undercover on the bottom of the bumper you can pull all the parts through it. I had to unhook the fog light connector (not remove the bulb) and the piece came right out.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Dr. TLS

It's so much easier if you remove the battery and the bumper. I've read it can be done without removing these parts but it takes so much more time the other way. Besides, you're going to have to reset the ECU by unplugging the battery anyway. Make sure you leave power disconnected for 15 minutes, although I wanted to be sure and left it unconnected overnight. Also, removing the bumper was a piece of cake. In fact, I didn't even have to remove the whole bumper. It really takes 5 mins to remove the resonator from the side of the bumper once you remove the screws and clips and it starts sagging .
Old 12-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Thanks,

Got it in, after trimming the shroud and pulling all the plastic in front of the stock airbox. I am looking forward to trying it out as soon as the rain in TX lets up enough to get some nice dry highway.

The pics were great. I pulled the batt and it was easy. The only thing I did was to trim the hoses and pull them over the top of the intake tube . I made sure the throttle cable was on top of the whole mess, and laid it between the batt and airbox ( stays in place no prob ).

Thanks for the icebox stats on the other thread, really confirms the decision.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have good pics of the install without having to remove the bumper. I am going to install mine tommorow. I want the install to be easy. I have never removed the front bumper, I hear you will break some clips. What is the best way to remove clips without breaking them. Thanxs
Old 12-27-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

The clips are really brittle. My suggestion, go to the dealer and get replacements for the one or two you might break, they are $2 each. It would be really tough to do it without pulling the bumper and grille. It is easy. Use a screwdriver, and work around the clip once you have it up a bit. I broke the plastic shroud, and it was $15 to replace, so be careful with it.
The assembly is easy to deal with, so just do it. The workaround would be really tough.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Dr. TLS

No broken clips while dropping the bumper. Guess I got lucky