Comptech Ice box for TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Ice box for TL

Comptech came out with the ice box for the base TL. It is the same as the Accord but I am wondering if the icebox is better than the AEM CAI. If the ice box is better, how much more power does it give? Thanks
Old 06-30-2002, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good ? I'd love to know too! Who has the specs!
Old 07-01-2002, 02:00 AM
Intermediate

Well I'm not sure
is it for TL or not but
this is what the guy who just install his said:

Sup people...

The day began with a little drama when I thought I lost my icebox b/c UPS tracking said it was signed for but nobody knew where it was. Turns out my work place directed shipping to another building and they would bring it over asap.

Sorry, no digital camera so no fancy pictures from me.

But let's break it down:

Construction

Straight out of the box, I thought the pieces were pretty nice. They looked stock and almost felt stock like. I was used to the filter design from having one previously, so that might be a shocker for you folks- the filter is teal in color- that's right...not a mistake. The joints I thought looked a little funny because they were bellows instead of the straight rubber joints I'm used to on my past three intakes. They sorta flex a lot in my opinion and don't hold the pieces as rigid as the AEM/everybody else joints does. As we all know it's not paintable- but I'm trying something out- if it works- it's just a simple touchup to the piece. For those who make their own intake- as I predicted- the bottom hole of the box is a lot bigger than our stock hole. It is about 2.5-3 inches in diameter and the outlet pipe looks like a huge fog horn. Everything fits just like stock- except for the battery tie-down side piece (see install for more info). Overall, I would give it a 7/10 for looks, construction, and design.

Installation

Okay, by FAR the HARDEST intake install I've done. EVER. Hands down. Even worse than the ITR Icebox- and that had much more little pieces.

Think of it this way- I already removed my resonator and stock box- for the AEM SR- and it was still a *****. I would highly suggest two or more newbies do it together or just pay. Not because I don't think you can do it- but it will be very frustrating. It took me about 2 hours to get everything in. And that's with previous knowledge of bumper removal, resonator removed, and stock box out.

Basically, Comptech decides to change two tubes- one for coolant to the TB and the tube that everyone has to connect to the front of AEM or INJEN intakes. The coolant tube was a pain in the ass to get to. It was very cramped even with my needle nose pliers and that stock clamp is a ***** to do. A lot of lighting is needed to see everything. Make sure you clamp the coolant tube- i had coolant spewing out for about 2 seconds and then stopped. The big tube is not so bad.

What is new is that you have to remove that piece of plastic that guards the backside of your headlights and then also remove a piece of metal that sits there. I broke my 12mm socket a while ago so that was a pain b/c I didn't have the right tool to get to that bolt. That was the second hard part for me but that bolt is really on there.

Definently take out the battery tie down like Comptech suggests or else getting the bottom of the box will be impossible.

Other than that- the rest was pretty easy- take off bumper, attach the bottom portion of the box, use many clamps to hold all the pieces from the TB, the "intake", and then to the filter.

Sound

For some people this is important. For me- it is not. I really want to keep it a sleeper. The icebox is slighter louder than stock under VTEC but gets louder after VTEC cross over. However, if you really want that "sound" temporarily, you can remove the top of the box but that pretty much defeats the purpose of the icebox.

Feel

Hehe..this is the juicy part of the post- hence at the end so people would read this essay.

Now- keep in mind I only have the AEM SR to go against so don't go nuts and start asking about the CAI.

I reset the ECU for about 5 minutes then idled after for about 5 minutes again.

For me- the surprise came after initial take off at a light- the phenomenon that I'm going to call "pedal slack", which is when you push the pedal and car doesn't move any faster for about 2-3 seconds, is nearly gone from the 1.5K to 3.5k VTEC cross over. The engine feels smooth and doesn't erupt with noise @ 3.5k like the SR used to and make it seem like there was no power between 1.5 k and 3.5 k. I wouldn't be surprised if the dyno showed a big gain down low...of course we'd never be able to see that with our AT...unless the dyno is done is 2nd i believe?

Overall

I am very happy with the purchase. The quality, design, and feel were definently worth the wait. I hope somebody that has access to a digital camera and dynometer puts it into good use. As I was driving around- took like a 45 min cruise just to see how it felt- I was stopped at a light next to an M3.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:54 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, the icebox is better than the AEM one..

it's made the way a CAI is supposed to be done.. and it isolates the air alot better than the AEM..

not only that.. I think the is an advantage where you don't have to use a bypass either..

The one for the TLS won't be out until later this year..

I'm not sure if the AV6 will fit the TLP or not.. but it probably will..
Old 07-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know how much it is?
Old 07-01-2002, 02:20 PM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by johnnyb_s
Does anyone know how much it is?
i think around 275
Old 07-01-2002, 05:25 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Edub-TL
yeah, the icebox is better than the AEM one..

it's made the way a CAI is supposed to be done.. and it isolates the air alot better than the AEM..

not only that.. I think the is an advantage where you don't have to use a bypass either..

The one for the TLS won't be out until later this year..

I'm not sure if the AV6 will fit the TLP or not.. but it probably will..
Per Mike B@Comptech, the AV6 and TLP both use the exact same icebox.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Racer

I am very interested in the comptech icebox, but i do have a few questions. First, where can i purchase this? Second, if i have to purchase this at the www.comptech.com website, do they have a dyno sheet to prove any gains? Lastly, has any other TLers installed this yet, if so what were their opinions? Thanks!

Charles
Old 07-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Contact Dean at, Deansbluesi@yahoo.com or call him direct at 407-772-0070.

I just ordered mine for my AV6 for $240 shipped.