Color Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Color Regrets?

Looking to purchase an S-type soon but am torn between 2 colors, WDP or Black, with ebony interior. The WDP seems like the intelligent choice as far as staying cleaner looking (especially in the upstate NY winters) and not showing every minor scratch and swirl mark. However, the Black looks sooooo nice and glossy when it's clean. Does anyone with a black S-type (or previous black car) regret their color choice ??
Old 05-07-2001, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I currently own an Aegean Blue TL-S, and on that color every single scratch and speck of dust is going to show as bad as a black car. I have owned a total of 3 black cars, one dark blue and one dark green car, and only one white car; a 98 Volvo S70 which is really a bright white.

Absolutely nothing beats a clean shiny dark colored car. The reflection is just incredible, and I love turning heads after a wash. On the flip side, a dirty dark colored car looks very very dirty.

With a light colored car especially silver and white, you are hard pressed to notice the dirt, so when its only slightly dirty, its not bad at all. But on the flip side when its clean, and you just spent hours washing and waxing her, you can barely tell. Where as with the dark colored cars you can appreciate that shine from far away.

The way I like to explain it is, while a silver or white car would look 80% Good 80% of the time, I think a dark colored car looks 100% good when its clean maybe 60% of the time. I love a clean black or dark colored car. Its a shine/reflection and depth you simply do not notice on a light car.

I guess the bottom line is it all really depends on how anal you are about keeping up your cars exterior. If you garage it, wax it regularly and keep it clean, you should be able to enjoy your black car for a long time to come. So if you really want black, get it. However if you like the WDP(which is a color I really like) and the Black equally, get the WDP if you dont think you'll be able to keep up with the higher maintenace that a dark color requires

I have no regrets getting dark colored cars. The scratches are annoying, and I always said I would get white or silver, but when it came time to get the car, I had to get he color I wanted most. I didnt want to settle on the color of my car.

I just love that deep wet look, shine and reflection you can appreciate so much more on a dark colored car. The white gives me regrets as well, for some reason you chip a white car and you get black spots, chip a black car you get white spots; you cant win. Plus after spending a good amouont of time cleaning her up and barely being able to notice it...well that bums me out a little. Doesnt give me the same satisfaction I get from my darker cars.

------------------
Just call me..................Mr Hyde
TL Type-S Moderator

02 Aegean Blue TL Type-S with Navi
Accord Forum Moderator/Honda-Acura.net
96 Sherwood Green Accord EX
Old 05-07-2001, 10:20 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
I have a Black TL-S, but every time I see a picture of a clean, white TL-S, I second guess myself for a minute. There are some crappy whites, but the Acura WDP looks REAL NICE. If I had it to do over again, I would have to think long and hard regarding the white or black.

One thing is for sure, the Black looks great and gets a lot of oohs and ahhs when it's clean. When it's dirty, it goes un-noticed, which can be a good thing in certain areas!

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Interior Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
StreetEffectz Audio Upgrade (Coming Soon)
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 05-07-2001, 10:24 PM

Smile

4 black cars and no regrets! Like Mr. Hyde saids you just can't beat a shine on clean black car!

As far as chips and scratches, it happens to all cars and you'll notice it regardless of color. Also they now offer clear bra like coating on the nose of your car if you want that. It's like extra layer of coating that protects against chips.

<image src="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1638881&a=12586275&p=46545851">

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by driver on May 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-07-2001, 10:30 PM
Racer

Well said Mr. Hyde
my previous car was black and my TLS is Black...I agree w/ Mr. Hyde and I don't even second guess my decision. After seeing my first black car, all my friends bought black cars LoL! Everyone in my family has a black car...I guess it's contagious Well ...if you don't mind the effort to keep it clean then go for black, but if you still want a classy elegant color that's easier to maintain WDP is still a great choice...My second choice I might add...People think I'm nuts when I sit there pampering my car all day...but at the end of the day it's all worth it
Old 05-08-2001, 09:47 AM
Pro

Smile

I have the WDP/Parchment (so I'm a bit baised). It's the first light coloured vehicle I've owned, so it took a while to get used to it. Since it's not "refrigerator" white (more of a "creamy" white), I really like the look.
There's no denying the appeal of Black, but in pollen season I'd be washing the thing daily.
Ultimately, you have to go with your own preferences and if it's Black, resign yourself to the maintenance issues.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:04 AM
Racer

what it is, if you're the type of person who tends to be laid back, get the light colored car. if you're the type of person who wants to in touch (or in tune) with you're car, get the dark colored ones because you have to wash it one's every week (at least) but the reward of seeing a shining dark colored car is awesome after a hard work of cleaning. the light colored car's are not that rewarding after you've wash it because you don't see that much difference.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:53 AM
Just agree and go away...

Exclamation

I have had only 2 cars in my life, a red 4X4 (it's a truck and no one cares if it is dirty) and the TL-S.
I love the way the Nighthawk Black shimmers blue in the direct sunlight.. I just hate pollen. Pollen makes my car turn green overnight, almost every night. So far I have been washing it about twice a week. If there was no pollen, I would be a happy man...So go with the Black, its sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LargeOne
2002 TL-S Nighthawk Black/Ebony Non-Navi
Old 05-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Both colors are awesome. I choose the black because I never had a black car and always wanted one. I never regret buying the black, just like everyone said, when it is clean, it looks bad a$$!!

------------------
2002 Black on Black TL TypeS

Old 05-08-2001, 03:38 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Viperdave:
Looking to purchase an S-type soon but am torn between 2 colors, WDP or Black, with ebony interior. The WDP seems like the intelligent choice as far as staying cleaner looking (especially in the upstate NY winters) and not showing every minor scratch and swirl mark. However, the Black looks sooooo nice and glossy when it's clean. Does anyone with a black S-type (or previous black car) regret their color choice ??
i had the black 00TL and after driving it for a year (with all the cleaning involved) i still loved it... and i got the 02TLS in the same black/black color scheme... when clean, nothing beats a beautiful shiny black car on the road.

------------------
'02 Nighthawk TL-S
------------------
Comptech Springs / Comptech Headers
------------------
Alpine CVA-1005 Head Unit / Alpine CDA-7863 CD Player / Alpine G320 EQ / Alpine DVA-5205 DVD / Alpine NVE-N851A Navi / JL Audio XR653-CS 3-Way comps for the front powered by a bridged Alpine MRV-F407 amp / Boston Acoustics 5.5 ProSeries 2-Way comps for the rear powered by Alpine MRV-1002 amp / Dual 10" JL Audio W-6 sub powered by Alpine MRV-1005 amp / Two Alpine CHA-1214 CD Changers / 20% Tint all-around

-------------
Pics of my TL and Fun/Crazy Pics
Old 05-08-2001, 03:45 PM

The operative words here are "when clean" nothing beats the shine of a dark coloured vehicle.

Been there, done it and I now own a silver TL-s and thrilled about it. I do not miss the glimmer of a shining dark colour car with "SCRATCHES".
Old 05-08-2001, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Black on Tan and wouldn't change a thing. Of course, I do live in California...

Regards
-w
Old 05-08-2001, 05:37 PM
10th Gear

I think the best color that they skipped out on for the Type-S is the Anthracite Metallic. It is a great darker color that does not show swirl marks as clearly as the black and blue, and still looks good whether it is clean or dirty.
Old 05-08-2001, 05:44 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Wanted WDP/Ebony, but it's not available in Canada. Had to settle with Silver/Ebony as Black/Black would take alot of time to keep it clean, and I DO like my car to stay clean. I agree that clean, waxed Black TL-S looks SWEET!!!! But wash it every other day just to keep it clean just isn't a luxury(time-wise)to me....

And I also agree, why in the world Acura doesn't use Anthracite as TL-S color, and let it be TL-P color instead???

If can can choose all over again, my pick would be(assume any colors are available)..

WDP/Ebony
Anthracite/Ebony
Satin Silver/Ebony
Aegean Blue/Ebony
Black/Ebony

Andy Kuo

------------------
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Old 05-08-2001, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Dark Emerald Pearl TL-S. It does look good when it's clean. The only problem, as stated, is that it takes lots more to clean.

My wife has a titanium silver Infiniti G20 and when I clean that car, I just wipe it real quick and it looks spotless and tight! Mine, I have to go around the car like 10 times to makes sure all water spots are gone. Higher maintenance, definately. Especially hard to keep clean in Arizona where dust is everywhere! But I love the color still...I was torn between the WDP and Green before I opted for green.
Old 05-08-2001, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

Up here in the mountains, we have a bunch of them "love bugs"! Know what I mean? My 2002 WDP TLS likes to bring every damn one of em home on er nose, when she meets em along the way! But thats ok..... I just gets to rub er nose a little more often! She is a LADY...don't you know! Sometimes ....shes a "BAD ASS MAMMA"!
Old 05-08-2001, 07:55 PM

I have a black with parchment interior. I think the black looks great. I have had the car since Saturday and have had to give it a little cleaning everyday. Love bug problems here to. But, even so, a light colored car would still have the dead bug problem. I recommend black for sure. I think it stands out the most.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:22 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Colors that "work" on a car are also a function of the design itself - the angles of design, the character lines, fender shapes and details, etc.

I personally believe that for years, Hondas look best in light colored metallics. The only exception is the RL, which look good in black.

Acura seems to agree - in the TL brochure, in the back, the whole "family" of Acuras is displayed in - yup - silver. And the first picture of the TL - arguably the "impact" picture is: tadaaah...silver again!

Naturally, this is entirely a matter of taste and personal prefernce in the end. I voted with my $$$ - my 3rd TL, my 3rd one in silver.

------------------
Rage On!
2002 TL-S w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Old 05-08-2001, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

I have black on black.

I like the look of the interior back better than the parchment. That two toned look is really cheapy.

With black, everything is more even looking.

The black exterior looks like a totally different car people tell me.

I wouldn't do any other color. Black is the way to go.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Silver is SWEET

------------------
Fins^
2002 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Debadged
Old 05-09-2001, 01:58 PM
slickTL17

I like WDP.

Easier to maintain and looks classic.
I wish they came with ebony leather.
Old 05-09-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by slickTL17:
I like WDP.

Easier to maintain and looks classic.
I wish they came with ebony leather.
Actually, they do!
Old 05-09-2001, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

WDP seems more expensive due to the sheen, but sometimes I wish I got black. Of course, I also sometimes wish I'd have bought the 528i Black, or Z3 2.8 silver, or a used SC400 black, or a new stripped 330i black with only leather and wood, or an IS300 yellow, or an S2000 black, or...........

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 05-09-2001, 08:10 PM
Racer

My previous car was black. Black looks great when clean and looked after, otherwise thumbs down. Every third or fourth car I get a black one, by then I've forgotten what a pain they are, I soon remember though.

------------------
Feliz

98 Acura CL, primrose
2002 TL-S, silver
Old 05-09-2001, 11:02 PM
Pro

I like my WDP. It's a pretty easy color to keep clean. Plus, the pearl really gives it an elegant look.

The Parchment interior is more suceptable to scratches and marks than I think black would be, but I like the look of it. I'm considering some sort of all season floor mats for year round use because the stock ones get dirty so easily.
Old 05-10-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro

I completely agree with Mr. Hyde's logic. To me, there were only 3 choices: Dark blue (before Aegean... which would be my first choice!!) I love blue, Black, or silver.

Honestly, I think when the three cars are clean, Black and Blue look the best. For realistic, daily driving, silver is the easier way to go. Both are fine colors. I really didn' tlike WDP or any other color though. The White on parchment just doesn't do it for me. I'm glad i got black on black, but it is hard to keep clean. But when its clean... it looks so damn sharp. I've gotten a lot of compliments from guys used to cars (i.e. car shops, Discount Tire) on how sharp black on black looks. surprisingly, the black leather isn't as bad as it may seem in Texas. At night though, hands down black takes first place, even over my fave Aegean blue!

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint