clunking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
clunking noise.

when ever I turn or brake under 10mph I hear a wierd clunking noise coming from the front end. A friend told me it could be CV joints but I only have 25k miles on the car. Any clue anyone. Its kinda loud when the windows are all down. I will be avoiding driving my TL till I get it checked out I guess.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cv boots. they can tear anytime, but 25K is pretty short.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:05 PM
On the way!

I get a very similar noise. It might be your brake pads. Take a long screwdriver and, through the wheel, see if you can move your brake pads a little while the car is parked. I tried that and heard the same clunking noise.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

brake pads feel fine to me. They didnt even move
Old 03-16-2003, 12:01 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, sounds like CV joints... just like medic said, they can tear any time... accidently running over a stick can tear them... Hope you have a good dealership, boots are not covered under warranty... "Wear item".....
Old 03-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Most likely not a CV. I have seen a few struts go bad so look for any signs of leaking especially on the noisy side. May also be the front half of the front subframe shifting. Year make and model? If its still under warranty get it over to your dealer.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

didnt they have a issue of the suspension shifting on the MDX and needed new control arms
Old 03-16-2003, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

my bad thats teh GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer i am thinking of
Old 03-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Instructor

i'm going with the CV joint issue, mileage doesn't have much say in that kind of thing, they can rip, or i belive there is a screw clamp that goes over them, they can break or loosen. all it takes is a little bit of dirt
Old 05-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Advanced

I have the same clinking except in the rear and it doesn't happen all the time. It sounds like something is settling when coming to a complete stop. It seems to happen after being driven for a little while. Never happens when I first start driving but I hear it almost everyday on my way home from work like when get into town and start braking at lights. I want to take it to Acura but am afraid it won't happen when for them My rear brakes were just redone when I bough the car because of warped rotors. Just when I am convinced it sounds like the brakes soemthing haapens differently that makes it sound like strut/shock. Anyone else have this issue? 2001 TL 26k miles and I don't drive aggressively wtf!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:19 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it's funny, my car is in the shop right now. Apparently the TL's cv joints break easily
Old 05-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

My car was in the shop last week casue of this. They said the brake pads were dried up. Now the noise is back and it got worse than before.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally posted by dnd2984
My car was in the shop last week casue of this. They said the brake pads were dried up. Now the noise is back and it got worse than before.
Dried up brake pads? Pads don't/shouldn't have any moisture in them. If they're cracked, that's one thing, but dry sems normal.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Advanced

I am pretty sure mine is coming from the rear breaks.
Going about 5 mph down my street hanging out the open door with my head under the car with the breaks lightly prssed I could clearly hear the noise coming from both rear brakes.

My theory and why and how I may have fixed the problem:

When I bought the car last month it had warped rotor(s). They fixed this for me prior to me picking the car up. For the first couple of weeks everything was fine. However I did not really drive anywhere in the time other than to and from work which is mostly highway and requires little stop and go.

I first heard the noise a week ago when I drove down to Mohegan Sun in CT. I couldn't tell what it was thought maybe something in the trunk was moving around like the spare was loose or something. Over the last week it has gotten much worse.

It is a complete inconveience for me to bring this down to Acura and have it looked at and take the chance that the noise won't happen. Up until this point it has been intermittant and I haven't been sure how to duplicate it for the service dept.

It happens every night on my way home from work at the same traffic light, oddly enough, and it occurs the rest of the way home at each complete stop I make. However I have never heard a single noise on my way to work, and I travel the same route. I beleive because my ride to work has the lights in the beginning of the commute when my brakes are relatively cool and the rest is highway with only one stop which is into my parking spot. On the way home all the high way is done first which will warm the brakes up and then they get really hot with the stop and go towards the end of my commute home- causing them to make noise.

The noise reminds me of the time I first did my own brakes years back on an olds. I replaced the two front rotors and pads. One rotor was covered in the oil that its packed with and the other was dry. So I only cleaned the one that was coated. A few days later when coming to a stop my car started making a terrible clunking noise from the front passenger side. I had a mechanic take a ride and he had never heard anything like it. Well it turns out that there was some sort of coating that was on that rotor and it gummed up the pad causing it to become very "tacky" when warm and contacting the rotor. We took them off and lightly sanded them to fix the issue. Problem was solved.

Using this I took my breaks off in the back and inspected closely for anything that may have gooten on the rotor or pad that could have gummed them up. Its hard to tell since there is so much dirt and grime down there already so I decided to sand all the contacting surfaces anyway on one side of the car to see if it made a difference. While doing this I noticed that E-Brake pads rubbed slightly so I adjusted the screw at the bottom to make them not rub.

When I put everything back together and drove through town for about 20 twenty minutes hitting every light that I could the noise starting happening again this time it only sounded like it was coming from the side that was not sanded. Then last night at midnight I was out in the driveway doing sanding the pads and rotor on the that side. I drove to work this morning and heard nothing as I expected. The ride home should be the true test.

Another thought I have now is that maybe I sould have tightend the ebarke shoes so they fit more firmly against the inside of the rotor. Maybe it possible that when they wear they develop some "play" inside the rotor/drum and move around when stopping. This still doesn't make sense to me though because the ebrake doesn't move at well when using your regular brakes so the noise would also happen at slow speeds with no brake pressure applied and it doesn't, it only happens when your applying pressure to the brakes.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this or have experienced similar issues?
Old 05-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Noise has not come back since.....
Old 05-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Racer

instead of sanding your rotors to get off the residue, use brake klean. just amek sure to keep it off your paint and any hoses if possible.