clicking noise when I depress the brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 12:47 PM
The axeman Cometh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clicking noise when I depress the brake pedal

Hey guys,
I have an issue that has crept up with my car. With the engine started and sitting in park, the minute I touch the brake pedal, I hear a click that sounds like it comes from the center console. I can even feel it on the shifter every time I depress the brake pedal. Along with that, my Brake light light comes on the minute I touch the brake pedal. Sounds like a bad switch but I am not sure how easy it would be to replace.

Any one have any suggestions as to what I might try. I hate that red light staring at me while I drive

Hope all is well with everyone.

Axeman
Old 12-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Its the transmission lock. You can't shift out of park without first stepping on the brake. Try it, I did. That's how I found out what the noise is.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

woa..

this just started on my car.

if i put my hand on the center console i can feel the clicking.

i was going to take it to the dealer, and get it looked at..

they just replaced that tranny like 5,000 miles ago.

i was thinking...oh no....not again.

the other thing is...when i put it in park i get the same clunking noise...like the linkage is out of adjustment.

lets talk about this..

i have an appointment tomorrow..
Old 12-16-2003, 02:24 PM
The axeman Cometh

Joseph,
Let me know what you find out with your appt. I hope that it is nothing serious :-(
It makes sense that it is the tranny lock but I would be very upset if there is tranny work that needs to be done to remedy the situation.

I look forward to hearing back from you once you find out the cure. I wish us both a lot of luck !!!

Thanks in advance,
Axe
Old 12-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

dropped the car off.
i'll find out tomorrow.

it is in for an alignment and that 60k maintnenance..

i also noticed that...if the car is turned off the brake pedal clicking doesn't occur.

me thinks the linkage needs adjustment..

i'll let you know...
Old 12-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

There's a poster at release from the corporate office describing what it is. I forget the explanation (something about a gap between pieces of metal in the brake), but it's normal and only the anal people notice it. There's a trick the dealer is supposed to use with business cards to prove to the customer that it is normal.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

sounds good to me...

i'll probably call them and ask them to ignore it.

i don't want business cards up my ass....
Old 12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
The axeman Cometh

That's cool that it is not anything to really worry about but the brake warning lamp constantly illuminated on the dash is quite annoying.
Hopefully there will be an answer as to how this is fixed.

Thanks,
Axe
Old 12-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

Axeman, I'm new to this board (mostly been on the Ford diesel and F150/Expedition sites). I'm located in Purcellville and purchased my wife a 99 TL on Dec. 15th..... with 91k from Pohanka Acura (Chantilly). I usually shy away from a high mileage cars but this thing is CLEAN and Pohanka provided me all the service records... I'm new to these Acura's, what's your experience been with yours? Seems our Acura's are similar in model and mileage. I saw your post on the timing belt /water pump change. I'm thinking of waiting until 105k before change out. Did you get yours done and anywhere near Ashburn?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:36 AM
The axeman Cometh

Shelbydog,
Welcome to the board! This is a great place to hang out and usually learn something about these cars and occasionally provide a little insight :-)

So far my 99 has been nearly flawless. I still have the original tranny as well. There have been a few annoyances (like the one that started this post) but overall I am very pleased.

With regards to the T-Belt, h2o pump etc.. I had that done at Pohanka. That was the very first time that my car has seen the inside of an Acura Dealer shop. Some things that I noted from the parts that were returned to me (I always ask to see everything!):
1) The plugs were defintely worn as the ceramic insulator had noticeable burn marks. Despite the claim that they will last 105k I dont think that is the case. I will only let these go about 50k before I change them out again.
2) The Water pump and the T-Belt looked good with no noticeable wear on either of those parts. These are the kind of things that can go bad at any time though and the cost to replace was much less then that to repair should any one of those components fail. While I was there, I also had them replace all of the other belts and hoses. One last thing that needed replacement was the auto-dimming mirror as some of the liquid had started to leak and it was like looking into a bubble in the mirror.

With all the things that were done the cost was around 1200.00 A lot of money to spend but in the overall scheme of hopefully getting another 100k out of the car, it was worth it.

You have a great car that should last with proper care and feeding. As far as maintenance goes, there is a Texaco oil change place on route 7 in Sterling that does all of the fluid changes for me. They have all of the services that go with that including all of the flushing systems for the oil, injectors, and tranny. I am a little overboard when it comes to that stuff but all of my cars have lasted well past 150k with little or no problems.

Congrats on the purchase for your wife. Here's to many trouble free miles
Old 12-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

Axeman,

Thanks for the informative reply... As a shadtree mechanic changing the plugs doesn't seem to too bad a job (compared to the Ford's 5.4)... based on your comments I should probably do mine soon. Got under the hood last night and unless they cleaned the engine compartment, this car really has been well kept.. Did have your tranny serviced? I think 90k is the service time, I don't see any mention in my paperwork but the fluid color looks ok... I see alot of posts on the tranny issue (ie: 7/100k warranty being extended to the 99's). But have you heard of this one (got from another Acura site) "Called the dealership where I bought my TL from today. The service dept told me that the warranty on the 99 tranny has been extended for 5 years unlimited mileage"
Old 12-18-2003, 02:10 PM
The axeman Cometh

Yep the plugs are not hard to do but I figured since they were in the car already, I might as well save myself some time and let them do it. You are right that the tranny warranty has been extended to 99's but not for unlimited ileage like you had said. It is basically a 100k extension thus I am already out of warranty. Should my tranny fail now, I am afraid that I would be SOL.

They probably did clean the engine bay however, I have never had that done to my car and it still looks exceptionally clean. Basically, I dont have a leak any where that can be easily spotted or detected. When I get my oil changes, the stick still reads near full after 4k miles. That's pretty cool.
Also, for the tranny service, I am a stickler about this. I get the tranny fluid completely flushed and changed every 30k or 2 years whichever first. I know that is probably overkill however with the tranny issue, I want to do all that I can to perhaps stave off anything from happening. It also helps in ensuring smooth shifts and 'hopefully' longer life for the equipment.

Glad to hear that it seems you got a great car. Keep up the maintenence and you can look forward to another 100k easily!

Axe out
Old 12-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

dealer said clicking, clunking is normal.

no problem found.

no busniess card tricks(read thread).

it's cool.

might be the cold weather....
Old 12-19-2003, 07:50 AM
The axeman Cometh

I believe you but it seems hard to believe that I have never noticed that clicking sound before. I dont like car dealers :-(

Axe
Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

that's what i said to myself..

was it that i just didn't notice it before?..

after awhile, you start sounding like an idiot, talking to the dealer..

it's clear as day that the there a some crunching sounds...
and they say...'no problem'..

well....at least they gave me a loaner...