To Clay or not to clay? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To Clay or not to clay? That is the question.

I was seriously thinking of using a claybar until I read this. Now I don't know if I should do it now or wait til my car REALLY needs to be clayed.

CLAY: Literally a plasticene/abrasive mixture used to smooth new paint and remove over spray. This type of product must be used with lots of lubricant. The technique of using a clay is a learned skill. Use too little lubricant, or get contaminants in the clay, and you have moved into scratch city. This is one product that is the fast lane to trouble if not used with extreme care. I do not recommend this product as a general paint cleaner. You literally grind off a layer of paint. Should be used as was intended, to remove paint over spray.

You can read more about claybar from where I got this information. http://carcareonline.com/overspray_clays.html

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler
Old 05-09-2001, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Definately DO IT!! I just did the full Zaino process and the paint surface if very smooth. I got my car last August and it felt very gritty. After claying, and the full zaino process it was definately worth it. Its definately hard work but well worth it.

If you do the whole wash, clay, wash, polish process, expect to spend a good amount of the day doing it.

Good luck, and again... do it!!

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
WW Spoiler, Comptech Exaust, Rear Comptech Sway bar, H&R OE Sport Springs, AEM CAI, Inspire Tails, Inspire Interior footwell lighting
Old 05-09-2001, 10:48 AM
Instructor

I would definitely recommend claying.
I did it for the first time about a month ago, and the results were amazing on my WDP paint. I agree that you need to make sure you use a LOT of lubricant. I used a whole bottle of Meguiars Quik Detailer. It is definitely an all day process, but worth every minute of your time!

------------------
2000 White Diamond Pearl
  • Navigation
  • Factory Spoiler
  • Burlwood Shifter
  • Black Chrome Badges
  • Viper 550ESP Remote Start
  • K40 Undetectable Radar
  • PIAA Plasma Hi-Beams
  • WeatherTech Mats
  • '02 Cupholder
Old 05-09-2001, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

But won't claying your car all the time just make the paint all the MORE crappy? Maybe we should wait for a couple years before the first clay?
Old 05-09-2001, 04:20 PM

I clayed my car 2months after I bought it. Even relatively new, there was still a bunch of crap stuck on the car. If you wait too long, then its harder to do. Like for the older cars in my family, claying didnt feel as smooth afterwards as it did for my car. I used clay on our 92 maxima and the clay bar had so much dirt on it...I felt like I was actually scratching my car cuz the bar was so dirty. I had to clay very small sections at a time, squishing the clay together after gliding it barely 3 inches cuz it got dirty so quick. Well thats just my experience.
Old 05-09-2001, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

NO DOUBT! DO IT!!! CLAY THAT SUCKER!
Old 05-09-2001, 06:05 PM
Pro

Originally posted by thaitea:
I was seriously thinking of using a claybar until I read this. Now I don't know if I should do it now or wait til my car REALLY needs to be clayed.

CLAY: Literally a plasticene/abrasive mixture used to smooth new paint and remove over spray. This type of product must be used with lots of lubricant. The technique of using a clay is a learned skill. Use too little lubricant, or get contaminants in the clay, and you have moved into scratch city. This is one product that is the fast lane to trouble if not used with extreme care. I do not recommend this product as a general paint cleaner. You literally grind off a layer of paint. Should be used as was intended, to remove paint over spray.

You can read more about claybar from where I got this information. http://carcareonline.com/overspray_clays.html

I've read the same article and the thought of "sandpaper" on the paint makes me cringe. Perhaps I could practice on someone else's "baby"? For now, at least, it's a moot point!

Old 05-09-2001, 06:25 PM

I agree with merlyn...clay it.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the process on putting it on & removing it?

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels with Bridgestone RE 730 - 225/45/17's. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

I never was into great car care because I have lived in Apartments with no water hoses.

I finally have one and I got to take a good long day cleaning. I used the clay-bar for the first time since I bought the car and it brought it back to showroom condition. Smooth as glass and a richer deeper color. DO IT!!

If you are worried about damage, just clay it once or twice a year, maybe just before summer and just before winter.

------------------

Under Body Kit/Rear Wing Spoiler/26 Piece Wood Grain Console/BurlWood Shift Knob/30% Smoke Tint/Comptech Sways & Springs/02 Tails/Altstadt I's on order

More Pics
Moderator Acura-TL.com Tires/Wheels Forum
Old 05-09-2001, 07:40 PM

Agreed...clay bars do wonders if you have never done it and you want to get some nasty stuff off your paint.