Chipped windshield repair..any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Chipped windshield repair..any experiences?

I have a small bullseye chip on the lower part of my windshield due to a stone. It appears to just go thought the first layer of glass and stops at the laminate layer.
Does anyone have any experience with the shops that repair this sort of thing?
It is small and round and doesn't look like it will propagate but you know how that goes.
TIA for any advice.

Jerry
Old 08-26-2003, 12:28 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Being in the insurance claims industry, yes.
Certain types of chips/cracks are indeed curable with the injection. Not all, however. A general rule is that if it is only the first layer, and less in size than say a half-dollar coin, then it should be okay. A reputable shop will tell you yay or nay up front.
Call your insurance agent or local claim office and simply ask them who they would use IF you made a glass claim and simply take it to them to see...
I would get it repaired either way, though...
Old 08-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a chipped windshield on my Jeep once. I called up the mobil windshield service and it cost me $50 to fix it.

I would not recommend leaving chip for too long since the crack will get bigger. Definetely get it fixed asap.

BTW, after fixing it, you would still see the very minor "scar" but you will not notice it at all while driving.

Cheers !!!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:06 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by drcookie
I have had a chipped windshield on my Jeep once. I called up the mobil windshield service and it cost me $50 to fix it.

I would not recommend leaving chip for too long since the crack will get bigger. Definetely get it fixed asap.

BTW, after fixing it, you would still see the very minor "scar" but you will not notice it at all while driving.

Cheers !!!
Any # for that place?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

I had a rock hit my accord windshield, it was right at eyeball level. My insurance company has the $0 windsheild deductable in AZ but I figured I would try the 'repair' way. It was very distracting, the windshield wasn't clear in the spot anymore, and as I said it was right where I looked. So I had them replace the windshield, and I didn't specifiy Honda parts, they put in a generic windshield that didn't quite fit right. Then they replaced it with a Honda windshield, but apparently the glue on windshields is very strong and there were bits of glass around the frame still. Very tacky. Anyway, long response but thats my experience with Safelite.
My current car is a 2000TL and it had a repair from before I bought it on the passenger side of the windshield, I barely notice it but it would probably drive me nuts if I was the passenger
Old 08-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this type of repair done on our Grand Cherokee, AAA will pay the repair with no deductable. It will only be done on areas of the windshield that are not directly in the driver's nomal viewing area - the repair will leave a slight distortion that is a bit distracting,

Other than that - beats replacing the OEM windshield and it is done at your home/office very quickly.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:50 AM
3point2

i would suggest you fix it.. i had one small rock ship and then winter came by and i turned on the defroster and all of a sudden i hear this cracking noise. next thing i know theres this big long crack running along the windshield. after winter was done i replaced the windshield and then i got another small rock chip. i took it back to the guy who replaced the windshield and it cost only like 10 bucks to fix it.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same thing happened to me last month
small stone chip about the size of a nickel
have glass repair fix it
they gaurentee that it will not spread, which is what you want
they will usually fix it if it is no bigger than a quarter size
it won't completely go away, leaves kind of like a skeleton of the crack
got mine done for $20
beats buying a new windshield