check engine+tcs lights!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005 | 07:56 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Exclamation check engine+tcs lights!!!!!!!!

well, today after i did some driving i shut off the car. a lil while later i turned it back on and it almost stalled so i put my foot on the gas and held it so it wouldnt stall. this happened to me lots of times before, but this time the check engine and tcs light came on. so i put it in park and shut it off again, when i turned it on the check engine light stayed on. what do i do now that this light wont turn off???

ANYONE HELP
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Bring it to a place to get teh code read. Then we can help you.
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:19 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Bring it to a place to get teh code read. Then we can help you.
like pepboys/autozone?
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:21 PM
Racer

Yes, either of those places will pull a code for you
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
like pepboys/autozone?
Yep. With out teh code we will just be throwing ideas out there. Often times when the Check Engine light comes on so does the TCS light. (its something honda has in the programing)
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:24 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Which, I might add, makes no sense. Do you know Kris why TCS is disabled when there's an engine problem?
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:25 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Yep. With out teh code we will just be throwing ideas out there. Often times when the Check Engine light comes on so does the TCS light. (its something honda has in the programing)
thanx....i'll try to get it done by this weekend. i got a few things to do.
Old 10-06-2005 | 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Which, I might add, makes no sense. Do you know Kris why TCS is disabled when there's an engine problem?
I asked a acura mechanic the smae thing (the first time it ever happend to me with the egr clogging) and he really didnt know. All he did know is that its in the programing and that its normal. My guess would be for less things to intrude with the computer if something isnt operating correctly.
Old 10-06-2005 | 09:48 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

this stalling stuff usually happens when i try to start the car after driving it hard and/or letting it idle for a while.
Old 10-06-2005 | 10:06 PM
Intermediate

well, today after i did some driving i shut off the car. a lil while later i turned it back on and it almost stalled so i put my foot on the gas and held it so it wouldnt stall. this happened to me lots of times before, but this time the check engine and tcs light came on. so i put it in park and shut it off again, when i turned it on the check engine light stayed on. what do i do now that this light wont turn off???

ANYONE HELP
.. Did you replace your O2 sensor.. sometime it's bad O2 sensor will make car stall on road orwhenyou start driving.. search in Fourms and you will find post with same problem and O2 sensor was bad.. i remember reading same problem
Old 10-07-2005 | 08:15 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by Speed42005
.. Did you replace your O2 sensor.. sometime it's bad O2 sensor will make car stall on road orwhenyou start driving.. search in Fourms and you will find post with same problem and O2 sensor was bad.. i remember reading same problem
thanx...how much does that go for??
Old 10-07-2005 | 08:25 AM
Future JDM Whore

i had this same problem only my car started but the problem with mine was when i cut the wheel all the way to the left i would get a little vibration as if the TCS was engaged and then the TCS and ABS lights would come on and stay on until i turn the car off and start it back up....then they'd be gone but one day they just never went off and to this day they are still on and my TCS wont work.....i just cleaned my IM and TB yesterday so i dont know either
Old 10-07-2005 | 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Speed42005
there are many things that could be causing it and throwing out a O2 sensor (wethere your right or not) for a answer isnt the right thing to do. He needs to get teh code read so we can tell him for sure. If he were to go out and buy a O2 sensor which one should he buy? the front or rear? (and in all honesty if your going to replace 1 you should do both). The best thing to do is find out what is the issue.
Old 10-07-2005 | 09:46 AM
Intermediate

there are many things that could be causing it and throwing out a O2 sensor (wethere your right or not) for a answer isnt the right thing to do. He needs to get teh code read so we can tell him for sure. If he were to go out and buy a O2 sensor which one should he buy? the front or rear? (and in all honesty if your going to replace 1 you should do both). The best thing to do is find out what is the issue.
Agree
Old 10-11-2005 | 04:22 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Update!!!!

ANYONE HELP
well like 10 minutes ago i started my car 5 minutes after running(driving/idling) it for a while...it started to shake a lil then it stopped shaking, and the good news is that my CHECK ENGINE light went off.

anyone else think thats wierd???
Old 10-11-2005 | 04:48 PM
Instructor

I had almost the same thing happen to me the other day as I was driving down to Los Angeles. TCS and CHECK ENGINE both came on. I was in the middle of driving it hard up the Grapevine when they came on. About a week later they were still on so I took it to Pep Boys and had them read the code for $20. Apparenly the computer had logged a temporary misfire error. Nothing major this time. The only stupid thing about it is the idiots at Pep Boys were about to give my car back to me without clearing the error. I had to walk back in and have them re-hook up their diagnostic tool so that they would reset it. All that said,.. neither light has come on since.
Old 10-11-2005 | 06:35 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz
I had almost the same thing happen to me the other day as I was driving down to Los Angeles. TCS and CHECK ENGINE both came on. I was in the middle of driving it hard up the Grapevine when they came on. About a week later they were still on so I took it to Pep Boys and had them read the code for $20. Apparenly the computer had logged a temporary misfire error. Nothing major this time. The only stupid thing about it is the idiots at Pep Boys were about to give my car back to me without clearing the error. I had to walk back in and have them re-hook up their diagnostic tool so that they would reset it. All that said,.. neither light has come on since.
so...do u think i should still take it to pepboys, even tho my light went off???ANYONE?
Old 10-11-2005 | 06:51 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Definitely agree...throwing parts at a problem is never a good way to go. You'll end up spending more on parts that didn't need to be changed that way rather than getting the code read in most cases.
Old 10-11-2005 | 06:53 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

so...do u think i should still take it to pepboys, even tho my light went off???ANYONE?
I don't know if they can get a code if you don't have a light. Seems like it reset itself already. Next time it happens I would bring it though.
Old 10-11-2005 | 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I would have done it while it was on
Old 10-11-2005 | 09:08 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

I would have done it while it was on
didnt have time too many parties this weekend