check engine light??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 03:04 PM
FoSheezyFunk

check engine light??

hey, last week my battery died out cuz stupid me left the seat warmer on over night...so after it recharged and i was able to get the car movin again, the check engine/malfunction light remained...i read in the manual that you just have to drive it around for several days in varying conditions in order for it to go away, but it's been a week now and it's still there! i know it's not my fuel cap, and the only thing that i "did" was drain the battery out...oh, and there aren't any noticeable emissions changes...any thoughts? does the light have a good reason to be on?
Old 09-19-2001, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: check engine light??

Originally posted by FoSheezyFunk
hey, last week my battery died out cuz stupid me left the seat warmer on over night...so after it recharged and i was able to get the car movin again, the check engine/malfunction light remained...i read in the manual that you just have to drive it around for several days in varying conditions in order for it to go away, but it's been a week now and it's still there! i know it's not my fuel cap, and the only thing that i "did" was drain the battery out...oh, and there aren't any noticeable emissions changes...any thoughts? does the light have a good reason to be on?
The only way leaving your seat warmers "on" would drain your battery would be if you left the key "on" also. Once you shut off the car (the key is in the off position), it effectively cuts power to your accessories, with the exception of the retained access, but that is cut off once you open a door.

The car has many features built-in that help protect from accidental draining (i.e. headlights turn off, interior lights turn off after a while if you leave them on, Navi turns off after a while if you have the key on, etc.)

As for your original question, I know it's a pain but disconnect the battery. That will clear out the ECU.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First of all, I don't think it's a good idea to unpulg the battery while the engine is running!!!!!!

Now I hope that you don't have a 2000 TL, because if you do, you might have the ECU bug that will cause the engine check light pop on all da time... At least that's my case......... Take it to the dealer...
Old 09-20-2001, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SL1200MK4
First of all, I don't think it's a good idea to unpulg the battery while the engine is running!!!!!!

Now I hope that you don't have a 2000 TL, because if you do, you might have the ECU bug that will cause the engine check light pop on all da time... At least that's my case......... Take it to the dealer...
What????

No one ever told him to disconnect the battery while the car is running.

He can certainly take it to the dealer, but if he wants to potentially save a trip and can disconnect the battery (with the car shut off). The biggest hassle is to enter the passcodes for the radio and NAVI (if he has one) and reprogramming the radio presets.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:30 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn...... I guess my brain doesn't work in the morning....... but I swear that's what I read..................