Check engine -fright-

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine -fright-

I started my car the other morning and my car was running rough. I mean rough. The RPM dropped and felt like the car was going to cut off. And then, the check engine popped up as it to add insult to injury.

Well I took it to Auto Zone to see if I could make sense of all this. The guy hooked up the computer and it read, "Misfire on cylinder 2, 4, 5". Now it says that this could come from a faulty injector or bad gas. Can someone help me here? Is it that serious?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well for starters id try swapping around the coils because it could be bad coils, bad plugs, bad injectors, bad gas and alot of other things so start with the basics to see what you got goin on. clear the light and swap around the coils. start the car then see what the light says. and just keep doing that with the plugs too. narrow it down before you spend money on parts.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well first - welcome to Acurazine.

We need to know more about this car before we start giving you advice. What kind of car do you have, how many miles, what is your maintenance history - what kind of problems has your car had, what kind of preventative maintenance have you done. I need to know how you drive the car, what kind of gas you put in it, and more specifically what has (or hasn't) been done to the car.

You just can't come on here and post a general question for your first post and expect to get life changing responses. Sorry my friend - we just need some more info before we can try to help.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the ignition coils have an issue where you must handle them like glass when changing the plugs- easily damaged from a slight drop- then car runs bad a month later

Multi misfire codes are often found to be 1 coil is bad- $50 part

there are several threads here on the subject- scroll thru the thread title list- narrow it down more by checking Problems and Fixes section

and Welcome to azine= we do need more info to help you the best
Have a lot of trained pro and home techs- DIYrs. service writers and managers- and other people with lots of TL related knowledge hang out here-- willing to help
Old 03-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the ignition coils have an issue where you must handle them like glass when changing the plugs- easily damaged from a slight drop- then car runs bad a month later

Multi misfire codes are often found to be 1 coil is bad- $50 part

there are several threads here on the subject- scroll thru the thread title list- narrow it down more by checking Problems and Fixes section

and Welcome to azine= we do need more info to help you the best
Have a lot of trained pro and home techs- DIYrs. service writers and managers- and other people with lots of TL related knowledge hang out here-- willing to help
I do agree. I need to give more info. Well here goes...

2000 TL, 165,450 miles. I baby this car so I don't drive it hard at all. My wife said she's been been using regular gas instead of premium. I did the spark plugs myself but I didn't handle coils harsh at all. I used NGK spark plugs. Could it be the gas? I tried to find threads on the subject but i can't seem to find the right ones.
I have always done regular maintenance on the car. I really baby this car. Does this car have a fuel filter?

Last edited by deepconcentratn; 03-14-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Team Owner

fuel `filter` sock is on the pump inside the tank- we dont have to change it

91 octane or higher ONLY (if thats what they sell in your area 93-94) --
says it right in the gas cap area for a reason!!!

Which plugs did you get- Iridium IX at 7 bucks each? or NGK Platinum is stock

Its possible to damage a coil without knowing it and a month+ later or so it fails,
so I would do some more testing and get a coil= move it to each cylinder- reset the ecu-test- and one of the listed ones will solve the problem

Run some good fuel cleaner like Redline SI-1- 1 bottle to 1/2 tank of gas to clean out residue from lower octane gas and general cleaning definetly needed by now.
Run seafoam or similar thru intake vac port at TB and clean the TB plate
See seafoam diy last pages for good info
EGR ports may need cleaning too- every 75k miles is normal on a TL- no its not in the book schedule
Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Team Owner

the TL appreciates being well cared for- but also needs to be taken out and really driven for fun now and then~
Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Team Owner

read the gen2 thread title list in problems section for Multi Misfire type titles
The subject has been well covered and all the steps needed to fix it are there

165?- you did have the 105 service- timing belt water pump etc etc done?
thats usually when the plugs get changed unless a smart owner has done them early to keep the TL in top running condition!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced

fuel `filter` sock is on the pump inside the tank- we dont have to change it

91 octane or higher ONLY (if thats what they sell in your area 93-94) --
says it right in the gas cap area for a reason!!!

Which plugs did you get- Iridium IX at 7 bucks each? or NGK Platinum is stock

Its possible to damage a coil without knowing it and a month+ later or so it fails,
so I would do some more testing and get a coil= move it to each cylinder- reset the ecu-test- and one of the listed ones will solve the problem

Run some good fuel cleaner like Redline SI-1- 1 bottle to 1/2 tank of gas to clean out residue from lower octane gas and general cleaning definetly needed by now.
Run seafoam or similar thru intake vac port at TB and clean the TB plate
See seafoam diy last pages for good info
EGR ports may need cleaning too- every 75k miles is normal on a TL- no its not in the book schedule
Great information thanks. I just used stock plugs. I will start using premium for now on but tell me this...
We're supposed to use a higher octane right, but how do we know that the gas we're using is really premium? Is it wise to use an additive with every fill up? Is all premium good? Is Chevron better than Shell? Is Shell better than BP? Is BP better than Phillips? What's the best?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Teir 1 grade gasoline-(google or wiki it)
The brands you listed all meet that spec - is what you want to keep the TL happiest

All car gas starts as 87 octane then additives are put in that help reduce preignition-detonation (the problem with high compression engines such as ours)
and it boost the octane points to do that. They also add cleaners such as techroline or whatever and send it to the stations
At the refinery- they probably sell gas under 4-5major brand names, most of it being the same or very similar blend of base 87 octane.
Right before it enters the truck is a mixing station where the secret add-ins happen.

There is a careful check of gas- (each octane rating has its own color added for easy identification by those in the know)- at several points along the way and at the station.
They can get in major trouble for selling wrong gas and its checked often by the State along with the accuracy of the pumps dispensing.

Exception: In an emergency like hurricane they will stock all the storage tanks at the station with 87- most cars run on it- we can run on it if needed, so that provides more total gas available at the station- AND the pump will have a sign saying- 87 octane

The plan being to have enough gas for all, not- sorry we have 10,000 gallons of 91, do you want to buy that?- we are out of regular--they would get accused of gouging

Once you have done 2 seafoam cleanings of the system- its good for a year
The top grade gas all have cleaner in maitenance doseage included, thats good enough to keep it clean from the normal stuff that occurs in the engine as combustion byproduct. Excess use of gas additives is bad for the spark plugs

You used stock- so NGK Dbl Platinum? thats fine- just making sure you didnt get some 2buck plugs that the parts guy says ~fit~ those wont last at all- only the right plugs for this car --its picky
Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Team Owner

Its ok to throw good brand fuel cleaner in the tank every 5000 miles for extra clean internals
Good idea before a trip for best mpg
Old 03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

some people will say their car gets xx better mpg on brand Z, the next person says they get the worst on that same brand
Once you are fixed up and running good again- track the miles driven and gallons used.
Try different brands and stick with your fave
My TL gets 76 or Chevron, while my honda bike likes 91 Shell- go figure
Old 03-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Advanced

some people will say their car gets xx better mpg on brand Z, the next person says they get the worst on that same brand
Once you are fixed up and running good again- track the miles driven and gallons used.
Try different brands and stick with your fave
My TL gets 76 or Chevron, while my honda bike likes 91 Shell- go figure
Hey thanks for the great advice. I plan to keep this car forever and I want to make sure I am doing the right things. I am an ex-Nissan tech but I have always loved Honda's. I can't lie though, I just purchased a 1991 Nissan Maxima for $500 and I can't wait to tear it down and rebuild EVERYTHING. Man I love my cars!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

then you should have no problem tracking down the bad coil
cyl numbering is rear-firewall set from pass to driver side 123, front set from pass to driver side 456

reset the ecu by pulling fuse #13 on the pass side floor area or side of dash-
marked CLOCK- its the secret backup power to the ecu and will make it run a full self test- if CEL goes off and stays off- car smooth- you found the bad one! congrats
Didnt fix it?- put the new coil on the next listed cyl on the codes and try it- reset ecu each time