Center Wheel Cap on my Rim CRISIS!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Center Wheel Cap on my Rim CRISIS!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Ok, hear me out. This might sound ANAL or very PICKY, but I love my RIMs. I wouldnt want any other rim on my TL. The problem i have right now is that lately ive noticed one of my wheels caps looking very weird. Like slightly yellowish kinda and almost as if it looks are rotting/scratchy kinda. LOOKED REALLY WEIRD at first, but after taking a look at the other 3 wheels center caps, the other 3 look normal and perfectly as they should. I finally figured out why this one cap looks the way it does. Apparently it looks like either the shop that mounted my rims back in december OR me forgot to remove the Thin clear plastic film that comes on the brand new wheel caps. Its like a thin clear film thats stuck to the wheel caps surface to protect it from getting messed up when u first get it brand new. KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT?? Ok well, i guess it was never removed on that ONE DAMN CAP and now, i think that film is like baked onto the cap from all the heat its been through since december when they were first put on. My probelm is that im trying to remove it from the cap. Ive tried mineral spirits, that didnt rub any of it off and u can tell if its comming off cuz the film is kinda yellowish sorta and clear. I tried rubbing goo gone on it, that didnt do nothing. And i got desperate and took a Razor blade to the BITCH cuz i was so frustrated. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS STUPID, but it used it carefully and tested the surface with it lightly to see if i could possibly scrape the thin baked film off. Its baked on so bad that its practically like a powder when i started scraping some of it off with the blade. But i only did a small tiny area with the blade and it was working cuz i could see the color difference. I was starting to see the nice metal color being revealed like the other caps color. SO i was happy bout that but i stoped using the razor blade cuz i knew that if i used it any more, i might scrach up the cap badly or what now. So now im to the point where i just done know what i could use to get rid of this other then a razor. I dont want to use a razor at all even though it did work kinda. Does anyone have any suggestions or what not. I'm gona see if i can just buy a new wheel cap by itself which i think is gona be hard to get. Looks like the company that made my wheels went under and disapeared. Worst case scenairio, im gona have to just remove this shit so that i have the cap looking the way it should. Anyone that can give me some kinda help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. ANYONE AT ALL, just start throwing ideas. Thanks. ITS BOTHERING THE SHIT OUTTA ME. I NEED MY SHIT LOOKING RIGHT. NOT FUCKED UP.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Soak it in GooGone
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ yup let it marinate in goo gone.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
First off relax. Your first born hasnt just been kidnapped, its a centercap! 2nd try soaking it in goo-gone. If that doesnt work buy a new one
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
All go, no show

Cliff notes please.

jk

googone.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
This might help too

He always helps me calm down.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, marinate in goo gone sounds like a good idea, BUT ive already sprayed goo gone on it and even though i know i havent let it sit on a cup of goo gone, all the goo gone did was make it worse. What it did was cause the face of the wheel cap to disattach from the cylinder of the wheel cap. The little bit of adhesive glue that holds the face of the wheel cap in flush with its cylinder started to wear away cause goo gone will remove and brake down glue etc. I didnt think about that at first though when i sprayed it. If anything, i guess i could always re glue it back it, its just a lil pain in the ass ya kno. I called the rim shop and spoke to the owner who ordered my rims direct from the manufacture and he said its possible he could order just a wheel cap in but he needs to see it, so im gona take a lil trip over there soon. Thanks for the advice, i guess ill take it out and let it marinate.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crisis? chill the f*ck out man. if the goo gone doesn't work just buy a new one. geeez.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
+1
Old 08-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

wow, and to think that people are dying in the middle east and youre complaining about a center cap which can just be replaced. dude, gotta get a grip.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover8888
wow, and to think that people are dying in the middle east and youre complaining about a center cap which can just be replaced. dude, gotta get a grip.
Ok, that is WAAAAAY out of context. He already said that he might sound picky or anal but he loves his rims. if something terrible happened to your car, like say it was sandwiched, how can you shrug it off and say, "oh its not that bad, at least compared to children starving in ethiopia" its an unfair comparison.

But yeah, I think just getting a new one would solve the problem. unless your so picky to the point that you cant have just one center cap smelling orangey fresh; you need all of them to.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

getting my car sandwiched is one thing since that would require MAJOR bodywork and mechanical work. however, he is complaining about a CENTER CAP, not a whole rim or glass breakage, but a center cap. i'm trying to merely point out the fact that he is really overacting and he sounds a little ridiculous to be really complaining about it like he did. The tone that he took sounded like it was a freaking emergency. If he gets a scratch on his car, are we to assume that he'll be writing another post, but in all caps and 10 paragraphs long?? at the end of the day, he's still alive and his car probably looks just as nice as it did at the beginning of the day. so, like a said, gotta get a grip
Old 08-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

How about paragraph's

j/k I'll throw it out there but I dont know if it will work and dont hold me responsible...........what about Brasso or some stainless steel polish even that mother's rubbing compound might work.