Cell phone antenna reception - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 07:30 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cell phone antenna reception - HELP!!!

Moderators, please don't move this to another forum , I need as many suggestions as soon as possible. I will be leaving for a trip tomorrow, so you can move it later if you want.

I just threw down a good chunk of change to have a StarTAC handsfree phone kit put in my car. It required the installation of an exterior antenna. The antenna does not interfere with the Radio, but it severely DECREASES the cellular signal to the phone (I thought it should work the opposite way). The installer verified that the antenna was the right match for the Motorola kit that was installed. I compared the signal of the naked phone, to the signal with the handsfree kit (w/antenna) plugged in, and the signal is 2 - 3 points higher out of 5 for the phone WITHOUT the antenna (with the antenna I can't get a signal higher than 3 and I am currently in Washington, DC!). Can anyone give me some suggestions that might help me to take care of this before I hit the road tomorrow? I don't care if I need a new antenna, or what, I just need to get it fixed. Any suggestions would be nice!

GRRRR
Old 04-12-2001, 08:07 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Hi Drbeatty! At the suggestion of preludeshfan, I bought one of those "patch" antenna's and it works great on my sprint phone. It just adheres to the "inside" of the windshield or back window, and that's it! I ordered it from a web place and had it in 2 days. I was amazed, as I never heard of this type of antenna before! I seem to have no signal degradation at all!!!

:-jon
Old 04-12-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro

My phone's handsfree kit is physically connected to the antenna, which is outside of the window. Thanks anyway, though. Any other ideas?
Old 04-12-2001, 08:59 PM
Drifting

what Oblio is talking about is in addition to your wired in antenna. It's a sticker you put on and it's supposed to increase your reception in your cell phone. I have one in my window and while it's not as good as advertised, it definitely makes a difference with my cell phone on the Verizon network (no difference in my Nextel though).

It's like $15 max and can't hurt to try. If you really want to know exactly what I'm talking about, I'll take my lazy a$$ downstairs and take pictures of it for you.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Drifting

This is the one I bought. It's a little more expensive than I remember, but for what it does, it's still pretty cheap.

Cell Phone Patch
Old 04-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Pro

Thanks Acura 3200! Before I decide to order it though, do you think that a new antenna might make a difference? I just bought my antenna today so I can probably return it and get a new one...
Old 04-12-2001, 09:34 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Hey Guys, I don't know if Jason and I are speaking of the same thing! My "patch" antenna actually attaches directly to my hands-free kit instead of the typical "on the glass" exterior mast-type antenna. I got it here
http://www.cellularmarket.com/cart/v...?prodID=VPATCH

I'm not sure if this will work for drbeatty, but the one Acura3200 linked to might!

Old 04-12-2001, 10:11 PM
Drifting

oh, we weren't talking about the same thing oops...

You can also try this one. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear good things about it.
Old 04-13-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro

I have spent close to an hour trying to find out how the "patch" works - maybe I am a little skeptical. Have you ever heard of Terk antennas? They look pretty good:
http://www.alternativewireless.com/c...e-antenna.html
Old 04-13-2001, 06:09 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Exclamation

Drbeatty, here's the deal on my patch. I bought the $200 Sprint hard install kit for my phone. It did not include an antenna. It consists of a adapter for the phone, a box that everything plugs into, a microphone, and associated stuff. On the box is the connector for the antenna. Normally, I would have bought a regular, on the glass, black antenna, stuck it on the back window, and run the cable to this box.

However, this patch antenna REPLACES the black, stick on the window, antenna. It too comes with a long coax cable that attaches to the control box. Instead of the coax connecting to the antenna unit on the inside of the rear window, the coax ends in a disconnect that attaches to "the patch"! The patch is like a decal, no thicker, and adheres to the window. The coax then connects to that and you are good to go.

End result: phone works, no antenna sticking up into the air off the car! No antenna to break off, get stolen, or get bent.

It works!

Maybe I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2001, 11:33 PM
Racer

oblio98 is correct it is the same patch i use. there is a coax cable that attaches to it but i know what you mean about the signal degradition i had the same problem at fist because if a bad connection. you really need to get an ohm meter and check for continuity between the center connection of the connector connected to your hands free kit and the center connection at the antenna if you dont have a connection there then thats your problem. also check the outside shielded connection. you should always see a signal gain when using the external antenna. my phone now will go from 1/2 signal to full strength once connected to the hands free kit.

BTW i have the exact same phone as you and i can confirm that the antenna switches fron internal to external when it is connected to the hands free kit. therfore if your external antenna is not proprtly connected or located improperly then the signal will be reduced or non existant. check the instructions that came with the antenna and make sure you followed the instructions exactly. some antennat are a little more sensitive than others as far as installations go.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 04-15-2001, 07:14 PM
Jens

Just out of curiousity where on the rear window did the antenna end up being installed?The reason I ask is that if the antenna is installed in such a fashion that it is attached over a portion of the window that has a grid for either the defroster or the car radio antenna this may cause reduced performance.Also another thing to check would be the actual coax connections for the various antenna to control box cables.Sometimes these are broken internally and play havoc with antenna reception.Jens
Old 04-18-2001, 01:59 AM
Pro

Talking

Hey guys, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Jens- The antenna is located on the upper Right portion of the back window, not obstructing any defroster or antenna lines. Motorola has suggested to me that the antenna may not be a dual band antenna. This may be true, but I assured by my installer that the antenna he installed was the correct one...
Old 04-18-2001, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Wink

Hey guys there's this new antenna booster for mobile phones that I've seen commercials for on television as of lately. I'm not sure what the name is but it's like this very small and flat piece of mettalic tape like circuitry that you apply where the battery goes and then you place your battery on top of it. It's suppossed to increase reception dramatically. Someone please help me out and let me know if you've seen the same comercial as well. I own a Samsung SPH-8500 phone that could use some signal boosting out here in IL. Thanks