Catalyst fail

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Catalyst fail

Can anyone recommend cat for 1999 tl please? I had a scan and it said P0420 so I need to replace it. Please name brand and any issue with it, b/c there is too many to pick from different price. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Whats your car doing? did it fail smog?
Codes ARE NOT diagnosis and need confirmation before buying parts

A muffler shop can test the cat for flow pressure and performance
They should also have the correct smog-legal aftermarket cat for you for about 200
Or go with the hi performance one sold here by Excelerate for 300
Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Whats your car doing? did it fail smog?
Codes ARE NOT diagnosis and need confirmation before buying parts

A muffler shop can test the cat for flow pressure and performance
They should also have the correct smog-legal aftermarket cat for you for about 200
Or go with the hi performance one sold here by Excelerate for 300
Thanks for quick responce. I got cel light on but driving condition is normal.Code reading P0420 and my guess is catalyst issue or anything else???How is the one from Excelerate? Dose it rid off cel light? Thanks Tom.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

PM fsttyms1 he is the code guru- but dont expect the result to be neds a cat!

A cat wll only clear the CEL if that was the problem~ Lets diagnose more
Miles and year? any recent work done/changes to the car?

Your local muffler shop should do free inspections where they pound on the cat with a rubber mallet-if they hear loose stuff- it needs a new cat
Next test- drill small hole in cat and insert pressure tester- run engine- flows on spec or its plugged, not much in between with cats
They weld over the inspection hole if it was good., so no damage to the car

I would put the car on ramps or stands and bang gently on the cat- and the rear mufflers- nothing should be loose sounding inside

try google on the code and see what it says
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
you could need a simple manifold cleaning of the egr ports- 2 hours diy
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

I got this in a quick search where a few other freaky codes were involved

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing
If I had to guess, I would say the EGR valve is either faulty or not working at all and needs to be replaced. . Double-check with a mechanic before you begin arbitrarily replacing parts, but the EGR valve should be where you start looking. You could also have one of the upstream O2 sensors failing (not uncommon for a vehicle with high miles). But definitely start looking at the EGR valve/system.
End of copied material
================================================== =======================

SO in relation to the TL = especially a 99 which had a Recall for the EGR port getting plugged
Did you ever have that done? Not sure??-call acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 and ask them- thats the warranty/customer service/ info center
If it was never done- you can score a free cleaning of the port and they install a sleeve that supposed to prevent the prob but doesnt. 99s got some other emission related tune up parts special warranty as well. ASK the person at the 800 = they are not car people or acura techs- but can look up things in books for you pretty well~
See your dealers service manager and ask about those things in person if possible
Never know when you may leave in a free loaner 08 TL while they do some warranty work or recalls for you!

The TL -(I am guessing why) probably/maybe?? because of it ultra efficient emmission system- seems to plug the EGR ports in the intake manifold-- and need cleaning about every 75,000 miles
Its not the egr valve that fails- its where all that exhaust gas goes is the problem!!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-11-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Racer

PM fsttyms1 he is the code guru- but dont expect the result to be neds a cat!

A cat wll only clear the CEL if that was the problem~ Lets diagnose more
Miles and year? any recent work done/changes to the car?

Your local muffler shop should do free inspections where they pound on the cat with a rubber mallet-if they hear loose stuff- it needs a new cat
Next test- drill small hole in cat and insert pressure tester- run engine- flows on spec or its plugged, not much in between with cats
They weld over the inspection hole if it was good., so no damage to the car

I would put the car on ramps or stands and bang gently on the cat- and the rear mufflers- nothing should be loose sounding inside

try google on the code and see what it says
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
you could need a simple manifold cleaning of the egr ports- 2 hours diy
Thanks. Iwill try by cleaning egr ports. In fact, I had smog check 2 months ago and it did'nt show anything about cat problem. 1999tl, 193000 mileson it. recent change 2000 miles ago install cai that is all done.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
I have dead hookers in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this same code on my TL. it was the front O2 sensor. i bought a new one from acura. it was not very cheap but it fixed the problem and just plugged right in. FYI they are a pain in the ARSE to replace
Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Many of times its the 02 sensor causing that code. I would take 01tl4tl (tom) advise and have a muffler shop test the cat. It may not be necessary to have it replaced.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Also on the passengers side dash fuse panel is the clock backup fuse. Pull it for a min or so. It will reset your ECU and its codes after cleaning the EGR ports. See if the light comes back on.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Lets all send a good thought for a dirty egr port!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Hey kris- the new av---Is that how you guys race in the floodwaters?
Illegal use of internal assitive external propulsion?!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-11-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Team Owner

you can buy aftermarket O2 sensors -
they make 2 types: the crud one that makes you splice the wires,
and the good one~ with plug matched-- -plug and playabilty

Reset the ECU -engine computer-- by pulling the clock fuse as directed above
AFTER you replace a part or clean the ports
You must erase the memory- and clear the codes- so it can get fresh reads from all the sensors-

Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey kris- the new av---Is that how you guys race in the floodwaters?
Illegal use of internal assitive external propulsion?!
Nah thats how i get extra HP for the win,
you can buy aftermarket O2 sensors -
they make 2 types: the crud one that makes you splice the wires,
and the good one~ with plug matched-- -plug and playabilty

Reset the ECU -engine computer-- by pulling the clock fuse as directed above
AFTER you replace a part or clean the ports
You must erase the memory- and clear the codes- so it can get fresh reads from all the sensors-

Good Luck!
I wouldnt touch the aftermarket ones. Many in the past had issues with the ones you get in the parts stores. Some actually paid as much as the oem ones from here.
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...catdisplay.jsp

Also you have to be careful, some of the 02s you get from parts stores they want/need you to buy in pairs to work properly
Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Racer

I got this in a quick search where a few other freaky codes were involved

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing
If I had to guess, I would say the EGR valve is either faulty or not working at all and needs to be replaced. . Double-check with a mechanic before you begin arbitrarily replacing parts, but the EGR valve should be where you start looking. You could also have one of the upstream O2 sensors failing (not uncommon for a vehicle with high miles). But definitely start looking at the EGR valve/system.
End of copied material
================================================== =======================

SO in relation to the TL = especially a 99 which had a Recall for the EGR port getting plugged
Did you ever have that done? Not sure??-call acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 and ask them- thats the warranty/customer service/ info center
If it was never done- you can score a free cleaning of the port and they install a sleeve that supposed to prevent the prob but doesnt. 99s got some other emission related tune up parts special warranty as well. ASK the person at the 800 = they are not car people or acura techs- but can look up things in books for you pretty well~
See your dealers service manager and ask about those things in person if possible
Never know when you may leave in a free loaner 08 TL while they do some warranty work or recalls for you!

The TL -(I am guessing why) probably/maybe?? because of it ultra efficient emmission system- seems to plug the EGR ports in the intake manifold-- and need cleaning about every 75,000 miles
Its not the egr valve that fails- its where all that exhaust gas goes is the problem!!
Thanks everyone.The scan said"P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". Even with this code means can be happen other than cat right. Actually my car previous owner changed Catalyst about 30000 mi ago just before I bought the car from them, so how long can Catalyst be last typically once you replace it?Yes, may be you guys are right, can be EGR... can be O2 sensor or others.
During my time never done EGR cleaning so I will start with it but how do I know this service has done in the past? Does acura keeps the record ?
If it not work I 'll go the muffler shop for a test. Thanks Tom & Kris.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Do the egr cleaning as everyone suggests, but if the code keeps coming back, try the front o2 sensor only, NOT the one at the cat. The faster the rear sensor responds, the more likely it is to reset the code, so having a new, fast responding sensor ahead of the cat with a sluggish one behind it will help your cause. It is likely that your cat will pass a restriction test and probably a tailpipe emission test as well. The 0420 is based on interaction between the front and rear o2 sensors as your cars computer sees it, and is usually more sensitive than any conventional testing. If you do have to replace the cat, first see if the old one is under warranty. If not make sure the one you get is warrantied to make the light stay out. I have had mixed results with aftermarket convertors, especially with honda/acura.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Do the egr cleaning as everyone suggests, but if the code keeps coming back, try the front o2 sensor only, NOT the one at the cat. The faster the rear sensor responds, the more likely it is to reset the code, so having a new, fast responding sensor ahead of the cat with a sluggish one behind it will help your cause. It is likely that your cat will pass a restriction test and probably a tailpipe emission test as well. The 0420 is based on interaction between the front and rear o2 sensors as your cars computer sees it, and is usually more sensitive than any conventional testing. If you do have to replace the cat, first see if the old one is under warranty. If not make sure the one you get is warrantied to make the light stay out. I have had mixed results with aftermarket convertors, especially with honda/acura.
Thank you. That's great help. Hope it's useful info to a lot of fellowers like me.By the way once u replace the new Catalyst how long should it be last ? Cuz my previous owner replace it around 22k( sorry! was'nt 30k) miles ago that he showed me recipt. I'll go EGR first. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Acura corp 1-800-382-2238 x5 can tell you if (by VIN number) the car was part of the RECALL to install a thing in the EGR port- that part you may need to clean
If that was done- hopefully its just dirty- every 75k miles that can get pretty bad,
If it was NOT done - the recall is `open` and freeeeeeee!

Cats should last over 100,000 miles NO PROBLEM- YOU CAN SHORTEN THE LIFE RACING
but 22 on cat and 200 on the car - its more likely an O2 sensor- do the electrical test on them
even the aftermarket ones have to carry a long warranty- govt regs and all
I saw a tv show on how they make cats and there seem to be only a few actual factories- thats pretty expensive and harardous stuff inside them.

Stay away from aftermarket O2? is bosch part of the no use list?
I havn't needed one so I cant say--
too much acurazine reading has overfilled my brain, and now bits of info are leaking out
Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

dealer service open saturday- can run your VIN too and tell you if recall on egr for you
Old 09-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Racer

too much acurazine reading has overfilled my brain, and now bits of info are leaking out
Thanks Tom. I'll go and find out with VIN for the recall service where the dealer is only 3mi away. Hopes they would be honest enough to take care of it.
Well!! Humanly possible every folk would love to be your neighbour. Needless to say Hat off to your heart and enthusiasm really. We are proud of you. Thanks always.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Racer

UPDATE..
Well. Fast forward.. I just cleaned EGR port(was dirty as only a toothpick can get through) last Sunday and ecl is still on so I went to read the code again. Good news is P0240 is gone some how and now I got the new code P1519(Malfunction In IAC Valve Circuit) at the same time that's threw ECL on so I did some search and some suggest to remove and clean the IAC Valve but no luck.
I was'nt sure IAC Valve is electrically defected or since I can't test on circuit side. And meantime, I cannot reset ECL light any more, may be ECU does'nt allow me to do so. I've tried to reset it by remove back clock fuse and also disconnect the battery too, but constantly on.It's only( P1519) I fond out after I cleanning EGR port.Please give advice on P1519 and how do I reset the ECL in other way?. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
did you torque all your bolts to spec when you tightened the plenum back on the car? might just be time for a new iacv considering yours lasted about 200k miles, id be happy as a pig in shit
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

when you did the egr port cleaning, you removed the intake manifold and the Throttle body assembly
The IAC is located on the bottem side of the TB unit and its supposed to get cleaned at the same time- shaking the unit will stir up crud in the IAC=Idle Air Control
its probably just some crud needs to be rinsed out
take it off and clean- 2 screws remove cover- then valve under that

Cats should last over 150,000 miles in normal use
Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

sometimes you have to fix the problem before the CEL light will go away~
the clock fuse is the best method- thats the secret back power source to the ECU
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by phee
did you torque all your bolts to spec when you tightened the plenum back on the car? might just be time for a new iacv considering yours lasted about 200k miles, id be happy as a pig in shit
I did torque the IM twice by guessing 16 lbs not too loose not too tight. may be I need to check with the soppy water around IM and vacuum line if there's a leak.. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Racer

when you did the egr port cleaning, you removed the intake manifold and the Throttle body assembly
The IAC is located on the bottem side of the TB unit and its supposed to get cleaned at the same time- shaking the unit will stir up crud in the IAC=Idle Air Control
its probably just some crud needs to be rinsed out
take it off and clean- 2 screws remove cover- then valve under that

Cats should last over 150,000 miles in normal use

Yes, I've removed and cleaned the IAC and it spin smoothly when I tried with my hand but I'm not sure the electrical circuit is working or not. Can I test with a electric tester? This little thingy cost $120 on Ebay(more than XS header).Since I cleanned EGR no throwing code on related to Cats.Thank you.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Racer

Foggot to mention, the car idel at around 500 rpm and quite only cold start time idel at 1000 rpm in the morning. So can I still call IAC valve problem?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Team Owner

pull a front spark plug and see what color it is
why front- because its easy to reach
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

get the codes checked again
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Racer

get the codes checked again
I will. Thanks Tom.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions for you guys-- just wondering as you went through diagnosing and resolving your problem...did anyone clear the codes and drove for a bit only to have the codes come back (soon?) repeatedly?
Something with the P0420 code came up for me today and after diagnosing it --the code was cleared but since I have only driven home (10miles)-- wondering if the code will come back soon?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TLs have a tendency to go through cats alot, we replaced quite a few lately @ the shop. Cleaning the EGR and replacing the 02 sensors is just a temporary "fix".
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CelestialRL05
questions for you guys-- just wondering as you went through diagnosing and resolving your problem...did anyone clear the codes and drove for a bit only to have the codes come back (soon?) repeatedly?
Something with the P0420 code came up for me today and after diagnosing it --the code was cleared but since I have only driven home (10miles)-- wondering if the code will come back soon?
Just clear the code will not sort your problem out, unless you are lucky, mine was came back many time and still could not sort it out yet. I have clean the EGR port but no luck. I just bought the O2 sensor( front) to change this weekend, anyway 200k miles on the car so it's a good to change the O2 first, if it's not work I will get the RT cat.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DasTeknoViking
99 TLs have a tendency to go through cats alot, we replaced quite a few lately @ the shop. Cleaning the EGR and replacing the 02 sensors is just a temporary "fix".
Its only a temporary fix if they aren't in fact the problem
Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets all send a good thought for a dirty egr port!
If that was the problem there would be a P0401 code too. I just fixed mine yesterday - before cleaning I had P0401 + P0420, now just P0420.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CelestialRL05
Mine came back about 30 miles after clearing the codes.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I'd proceed from cheaper on to more expensive fixes that have been known to work. First, sea foam it. Follow the thread, especially how to drive it to clear it out. Next step, I'd try a can of bg44k in 1/4 tank of gas. Do the sea foam drive again as well as a 20-30 minute highway cruise. Of course, clear the code each time. Next step would be to replace the front o2 sensor, but not the rear yet. So far these steps are relatively cheap, and will usually help performance and fuel mileage. Next relatively cheap item would be the rear o2 sensor. Replacing the rear o2 sensor can cause actually aggravate the problem, but it has worked for some. Beyond this point, you'll find different opinions about replacing the convertor. Among honda techs, the answer is simple.....Buy an oe convertor. I'm not going to debate aftermarket convertors other than to say I haven't found one that's 100%, nor have I heard of one on this forum. If you buy one make sure it's guaranteed to keep the light off. If a california spec convertor is available, it will be more likely to keep the light off. Search "spark plug non fouler" as a cheap, very effective, but probably illegal way to keep the light off. Even with your existing cat and a non fouler, you'll probably pass an emission test.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 AM
Racer

Agree with eveyone and TLer trash. Start with cheapest way first, if I did'nt know this site I would been listening and taking the words from mec had spend alot of $$$ but cuz of everyone help I just follow their advise and sort the problem out by much cheaper and more effective way.
For me had to change the front & rear O2 sensor to clear CEL and already more than 3000 miles now and it fixed.
I thought I would report back up date one day about my situation but just make sure to give myself enough time to prove it is good longer period needed. I used Denso O2 sensors pair $115 shipped on Amazon.com or go to Denso.com directly and it similar price. Denso is stock brand for our 2g TL. Here's front # 234-4096 Denso Oxygen Sensor and rear # 234-4621 Denso Oxygen Sensor. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLer trash
You guys are confusing me! TLer trash, you seem to know a lot about this and you say replace the FRONT O2 sensor; fsttyms1 who also seems to know a lot says in another thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/what-now-695310/) to replace the REAR one.

Come on guys, can you agree on what us poor ignorant fools should do?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry1030
You guys are confusing me! TLer trash, you seem to know a lot about this and you say replace the FRONT O2 sensor; fsttyms1 who also seems to know a lot says in another thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695310) to replace the REAR one.

Come on guys, can you agree on what us poor ignorant fools should do?
In theory, replacing o2 sensors is not one of the steps in diagnosing a 420 code unless there is an o2 sensor code as well. The problem is that sometimes it does work. I haven't actually seen either sensor cure this code, but others have. I recommend trying the front one first because it will usually help fuel economy,possibly lower fuel trims enough to get the cat to pass the self test, and I've read more cases where it worked than the rear. Fsttyms has probably seen more cases where the rear one fixed it. Definately do the bg/seafoam stuff first, because you might up the catalyst efficiency a few percent and get below the fail threshold. The highest percentage chance of keeping the light out are 1. Oe catalytic convertor [$1400.00+-] 2.Spark plug non-fouler [probably illegal] 3.Aftermarket cat.[mixed results depending who you talk to]
Old 05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Hey guys,

I replaced my front O2 sensor with the Denso and reset my codes (I had P4020 if you're just joining the thread) - and the light has not come back on after over 600 miles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it really was the problem ... the last time I reset the codes the light came back after only 30 miles.

Larry

Quick Reply: Catalyst fail