car care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question car care?

So I just got my car last week and I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on car care?
1. How often to wash?
2. What products are good to use to clean in all parts of car?
3. How do you use the aforementioned products?
4. How often is it good to service (the guy told me 7500 yet there is a spot for 3750 in my Acura log book?)
Old 12-09-2001, 05:56 PM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dan,
Are you planning on maintaining your exterior yourself?

If yes:
1 2 & 3) wash as often as you want, use a CLEAN wash mitt (not a sponge), and buy a good car wash concentrate. There are lots of good car wash solutions, Meguir's is available at alot of stores.

I use a good (soap NOT acid) wheel cleaning solution and a soft brush on the wheels first.

Rinse the car well, then soap from the top down in sections. Rinse off the soap before it dries (and keep the entire car wet until it is time to dry).

You will want a quality water absorbing towel, some large White 100% Cotton towels (made in USA, the 100% Cotton from elsewhere isn't necesarilly 100% Cotton!), and if you are serious... some microfiber towels specifically marketed for car detailing.

When ready to dry get as much water off the vehicle with the absorbing towel ASAP, and clean up the spots with the cotton towel or the microfiber towel.

Apply a quality polymer polish-protectant or wax if you prefer. This you need to research to figure out what is right for you.

4) Oil and filter at 3750 miles.

A great resource for care care info (I love the detailer's forum):
http://www.autopia-carport.com/
Old 12-12-2001, 03:09 AM
Banned

danschreiber:
I remember asking what you're asking now no more than a month and a half ago (has it really been that long? The delivery receipt is still sitting on my desk). And this is what I suggest for you:

1) Immediately go out and get two things - Zaino and Xpel. The first, Zaino, is a show car polish and I will have to say is one of the best ones I have ever tried. Don't let people sway you. Go buy 1 bottle of car wash (Z7), 2 bottles of clear coat polish (Z2), 2 bottles of gloss enhancer (Z6), 1 bottle of swirl mark remover (Z5), 1 clay bar (Z18), one bottle of Glass Polish (forget which Z it is...Z9?), and a couple of their applicators, a microfiber towel, and some 100% cotton towels. Apply that Zaino like it were gold...if you need me to tell you how ask. But apply that stuff until it's gone...I'm talking 15 coats or so. Why? Because you'll build up a Zaino layer that will protect your car...I didn't believe it till I got a ding in my car today from a door, and I looked at it and it was actually IN the Zaino layer...so I just buffed it and it was gone....whew! And the glass polish makes your windshield look totally clear...it's cool

Get Xpel (www.xpel.com)...which Bricot, among others, has for his car....it's a clear polymer that applies to your car instead of using a car bra and protects it from rocks etc...and believe me with a new car you'll flip when you get your first few. Get it put on after you Zaino your car.

2) Go get Lexol Leather Cleaner and apply it to your leather...every two weeks (in conjunction with a coat of Zaino) to keep the leather from cracking...and get their Vinylex to make your vinyl and rubber look good...wipe your rubber insulation around your doors to keep that stuff supple too.

3) Get a sunshade to put in your front windshield to protect your dash.

Those are definitely my absolute best suggestions. I did all of these and my car is looking crisp and new and still has a new car smell. And hopefully I'll be able to say that in a few years

Austin519
Old 12-12-2001, 03:10 AM
Banned

Oh and I forgot to mention...make SURE to get the claybar...and claybar the car down good...most cars come in with rail dust from transportation...that's killer on your car...

Austin519