CAI in the mountains and rainy interstates

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Mile High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI in the mountains and rainy interstates

Hey all..... im new to the board, and yes i have RESEARCHED this topic many times but no posts have my specific questions. I live in Chicago and go to school in Colorado and i drive on I-80 twice a year (with the possibility of rain spray) and go through mountain passes a couple times a year (with the possibility of snow flurries). I am considering getting an AEM CAI or the Icebox. I want performance but i also want sound. I only go through a tank of gas once a month so i dont drive too much so flooding is not an issue at all. I just need opinions on which intake is safe for snow flurries and interstate driving at 75mph with the possibility of rain and spray. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:38 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have driven in every weather condition, flurries, noreasters, light rain, torrential downpours, and have driven through straight up puddles. never ever have i had a problem with my CAI. go for it, you'll be glad you did!

SSTS
Old 11-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I have an icebox and unless you are driving through 6"+ deep water, no issues. Spray and snow are non-issues.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Living in Michigan, I've been in just about every possible weather condition.

It's fine, as long as you don't drive into puddles.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
i have driven in every weather condition, flurries, noreasters, light rain, torrential downpours, and have driven through straight up puddles. never ever have i had a problem with my CAI. go for it, you'll be glad you did!

SSTS
ditto. unless you drive through a big puddle (0ver 6 inches deep for a good distance you will be fine). snow has no effect on it and cant get to it. get either one, the icebox doesnt give you sound though.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the icebox doesn't go down as far as other CAI's right? So maybe that would be your best bet if I am right on this.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Racer

Sound and performance = AEM CAI. Awesome sound!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoldTL
the icebox doesn't go down as far as other CAI's right? So maybe that would be your best bet if I am right on this.
the icebox filter stays in the same location as teh factory filter.
i wouldnt worry about a cai and bad weather. unless there is a river going across the road and you drive thru it you will be fine. ive had cai's on my cars for probably 500,000 combined miles and never had a problem and we see every kind of weather here in wis
Old 11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Mile High

alright, i think im leaning towards the AEM but i still would like to hear insight on water spray at 70mph, SNOW getting caked on the filter. flooding doesent really happen in chicago or colorado so i think im kinda safe
Old 11-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy88
alright, i think im leaning towards the AEM but i still would like to hear insight on water spray at 70mph, SNOW getting caked on the filter. flooding doesent really happen in chicago or colorado so i think im kinda safe
water doesnt spray on it, and if it does it wont hurt it. snow cant get to it..and what does wont hurt it. you will be just fine.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, you're worrying way too much about it.....i've gone through deep waters even (not on purpose) and nothing happened.

BTW-....you know how they say you can suck water up into the engine?....well picture the CAI metal tube with NO filter at the end....submerged into a pool of water.....does the engine have enough sucking power to suck up a 4"+ tube full of water up into it?....i've always wondered this. -shawn

BTW- sorry crazy88 for making my question so graphic.....your car will be fine. i've driven through every kind of weather...it's cool. -peace
Old 11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
very good point...its not like your engine sucks like a big ass shop vac! I really doubt also that even w/o a filter anything would happen. Now were you can get in trouble is if the filter becomes very saturated and if you drive for a while after that, maybe enough moisture could get up in there...but that also is a long shot.

basically they wouldnt be able to sell so many of the CAI's if everyone was having problems with the filter location. So get after it!!! I want one soon also, if I can get a good price.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shawn744
yeah, you're worrying way too much about it.....i've gone through deep waters even (not on purpose) and nothing happened.

BTW-....you know how they say you can suck water up into the engine?....well picture the CAI metal tube with NO filter at the end....submerged into a pool of water.....does the engine have enough sucking power to suck up a 4"+ tube full of water up into it?....i've always wondered this. -shawn

BTW- sorry crazy88 for making my question so graphic.....your car will be fine. i've driven through every kind of weather...it's cool. -peace
Old 11-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Mile High

ok if i do get the AEM CAI, then my only worry is driving on I-80 for 15 hours with the possibility of 2-3 of those hours being hard rain. my concern is what happens when the filter is soaked for long periods of time?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

ok if i do get the AEM CAI, then my only worry is driving on I-80 for 15 hours with the possibility of 2-3 of those hours being hard rain. my concern is what happens when the filter is soaked for long periods of time?
dude teh filter is behind the bumper and protected. its fine. the filter can get wet.
i drove from wisconsin to florida and it rained for 12 straight hours on the way down. it was just fine. who ever scared you into thinking that the filter will get wet and ruin your engine missled you. can you destroy a engine with water and a cai? YES what does it take? a FULL SUBMERGING OF THE FILTER UNDER WATER, which means you would have to be driving throught DEAP water.. if it was bad for teh filter to be down there they wouldnt make cai's because every one would be blowing up their engines..
Old 11-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Hey all..... im new to the board, and yes i have RESEARCHED this topic many times but no posts have my specific questions. I live in Chicago and go to school in Colorado and i drive on I-80 twice a year (with the possibility of rain spray) and go through mountain passes a couple times a year (with the possibility of snow flurries). I am considering getting an AEM CAI or the Icebox. I want performance but i also want sound. I only go through a tank of gas once a month so i dont drive too much so flooding is not an issue at all. I just need opinions on which intake is safe for snow flurries and interstate driving at 75mph with the possibility of rain and spray. Thanks for the help.

AEM CAI w/ air bypass valve goto AEM website and research it
Old 11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Advanced

lol CAI's won't do any harm in rain at all. your foglight housing (if oyu have one) basically covers the front of the filter, so the only way would be water from under the car. and that won't get high enough unless you drive through something dumb lol. in a month or so i think i'm gonna be selling my red AEM CAI for the TL-S. it's in perfect condition. when i go to the track with my school motorsports club, i take out the driver side foglight housing. so that way there's a nice gap for all the air to go straight to the intake. it's pretty sweet.

overall -- CAI will not hard the engine unless you try and turn your car into one of those amphibious cars and take it into the lake for a spin.