Bump stop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump stop?

Hi,
I fianlly got my H&R sports and planning on installing them this weekend.
I am going to reuse the stock shocks till they die.
Somewhere I read about cutting bump stops. What is the reason and do I need to for this case when I am reusing stock shocks?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ultimatetl
Hi,
I fianlly got my H&R sports and planning on installing them this weekend.
I am going to reuse the stock shocks till they die.
Somewhere I read about cutting bump stops. What is the reason and do I need to for this case when I am reusing stock shocks?
I would say cut them anyways even though your going to be using the sports instead of the sportline. Cut off half the bump stops on all four. The reason for this being is your obvisouly lowering the car and your losing the travel in the shock so you have to compensate for the lose that's why you have to cut the stop then that will give you back a little more travel and you won't bottom out as much.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The instructions for my H&R sport springs CLEARLY stated that there was to be NO cutting of the bump stops!! They mention it for some other cars, but not the second generation
Acura TL for sure!!

They mention it for specific cars and our ain't one of them. So, there must be a reason. I've hit some hard bumps but didn't bottom out. I would advise against, but call H&R to verify. My instructions said NO Cutting however! Hope this helps!
Old 11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

CJITTY - you still have your stock shocks? After installing the H&R Springs?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJITTY
The instructions for my H&R sport springs CLEARLY stated that there was to be NO cutting of the bump stops!! They mention it for some other cars, but not the second generation
Acura TL for sure!!

They mention it for specific cars and our ain't one of them. So, there must be a reason. I've hit some hard bumps but didn't bottom out. I would advise against, but call H&R to verify. My instructions said NO Cutting however! Hope this helps!
uh..... well, I finished my mod and I did cut the bump stops. I don't know what it was but the installation took me forever (only me and no power tools). I do notice some cluncking noice time to time which is annoying but I don't think it is related to bottoming out.
I am dying to find out what that noise is. Rear installtion was easy but the front installtion was hard as hell. Was i supposed to loosen up front tie bars as well? And it was so hard to line up the shock with its original position.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ultimatetl
uh..... well, I finished my mod and I did cut the bump stops. I don't know what it was but the installation took me forever (only me and no power tools). I do notice some cluncking noice time to time which is annoying but I don't think it is related to bottoming out.
I am dying to find out what that noise is. Rear installtion was easy but the front installtion was hard as hell. Was i supposed to loosen up front tie bars as well? And it was so hard to line up the shock with its original position.
The clunking is from the rear right? It's your struts they ar bad and no it's not bottoming out.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Advanced

well, i sounds like from the front area. couldn't tell if it is left or right. I will pay more attention.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i had the h&R on stock shocks for a few months and hit the bump sotp a few times. They are there for a reason, it will keep the car from bottoming out more than it has too. Plus if you hit a really nasty bump, kiss the shocks good-bye. I blew 2 shocks before i went with konis.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I still have stock shocks, yes. But I have 30K miles and all are highway miles. Plus, the car is only driven on weekends, so my shocks should last longer than most folks. I have a commuter car that deals with the daily grinds. Once my struts go out, I am getting Tokico Blues, but by then, I should be driving my 2006 Lexus GS430.

I had a cluncking, but it was because my installer forgot to tighten one of my end links. We figured out which bolt, tightened it, now the car rides quiet like stock. No rattles, clangs or anything. May have to double check your rear strut perch or look to see if the spring came out of position.