BULLSHEET 145mph rev limiter!!! (proof inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:30 AM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BULLSHEET 145mph rev limiter!!! (proof inside)

yup...like the title says...who came up with this number??! and where he get the info?...i've always been under the impression 145 was unbreakable...WRONG!

I proved this wrong less than 20minutes ago, coming from a friend's house (no alcohol, just a promise to myself to beat my previous 141 record -when stock- when the temp lowered under 55). Location: S. Florida. 20min ago, temperature at 49*F 83% humidity (weather.com right now) on a 2up-2down straight road strip, almost 3.5miles long, with 0 cars at 1:40am, which i circled up and down once in search of cops...all precautions taken.

i floored it from a complete stop up to 153mph in 2.4miles!!!!! (error .1 as dist was measured as i retraced what i've traveled...no matter what whoever/watever says, i saw my car rev HARD and strong past 145, and still had time, distance and power to beat the 153 (i stopped because there was a pickup further ahead and i wouldnt know how it would act so i breaked down to 70 passed him and headed back home....BTW for those interested 150mph on 4th gear in '99 TL(-p) is at exactly 5000rpm.

the RUSH WAS AMAZING, it feels good!! UFFF...i dont support racers, and it may seem like i race a lot..well i dont, it was just a coincidence (previus thread not long ago)...oh, and so was yesterdays coming back from hot imports night with some sucky riced up turbo civic givin me shit...but still, i raced untill 80mph stuck my finger out the window (not middle one - waving no, no, no) as i passed him cause he was too slow... and i had 3ppl in the car.

Anyows, just sharing new info on our cars!!! DRIVE SAFELY!

-etxx

btw*, i do know how to spell BS...just being courteous!
Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL
drive safe buddy

i hit 140mph once with only two third of throttle in 4th

u got header/intake so it can probably pull stronger at high end
Old 12-13-2004, 01:57 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
what kind of rims and tires do you have?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:19 AM
Drifting

Drive fast, but safely. Glad to know the TL goes so fast. I'd like to try myself, but there are no roads locally that I'd feel safe from the cops...even at 1:00AM...here in PA, if you got clocked going that fast it would cost over $500, and your license for 6 months.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 AM
2003 SSM TLS

My first thought here is that your wheels & tires are a different size then what came on your TL new from the factory, which would throw your speedo & onboard speed sensing equipment off calibration.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:58 AM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
what kind of rims and tires do you have?
Originally Posted by 69ssrscam
My first thought here is that your wheels & tires are a different size then what came on your TL new from the factory, which would throw your speedo & onboard speed sensing equipment off calibration.
yeah its understandable, but i got stock rims with racing toyos who'se tirewall is the same as the stock ones...pic says it all
http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...1357&pid=30070

guess what i dreamed about last night??

Originally Posted by JetJock
Drive fast, but safely. Glad to know the TL goes so fast. I'd like to try myself, but there are no roads locally that I'd feel safe from the cops...even at 1:00AM...here in PA, if you got clocked going that fast it would cost over $500, and your license for 6 months.
and here in Fl, twice the speedlimit=suspended licence, impounded car, jail for 3days, court, and i gotta check how much $ on the ticket...just getting the car outa the impound is a good $2000...i wouldnt know what almost triple+the speedlimit will get me! Its all because of a law passed in '03 making street/drag racing highly ilegal in Fl.

This sector of 441 between Atlantic and Bointon Beach blvd is 55mph...whoever knows the zone will be like yeah!!

Oh, btw, anyone in florida, do not speed from december 20th to the 25th as cops WILL INVADE THE STREETS...i got friend with cop in family....there will be something like 8000troops just in the Boca area alone setting speedtraps. Goal=reduce holidays deaths significally.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Your speedometer is off. My '03 with the stock wheels and tires with moderate wear topped out at EXACTLY 147 on the speedometer when the governor kicked in. I feel good to know that my speedometer has no margin of error at such a high speed.

Acura set it at 147 (it's not some bullshit number ) because the stock V-rated tires are only certified for up to 149 mph. With 2 mph of room for error, they figured 147 would be good enough. Not for me, though. I wish there was a way to remove or up the governor. I had the engine spinning at about 5000 RPM or so in 4th gear when the governor kicked in, and it was still pulling strong. I bet she could've pulled at least 160 easy. But I don't know what speed the front end is good for. At a certain speed, compensating for wind, the downforce could be enough to either rip the front bumper off or bend it or whatever. For example, on the Trans Am WS6, the WS6 hood with the air vents is rated for up to like 176 mph or somewhere around there. After that speed, the wind force could reach strong enough to overpower the hinges and the hydraulics and just simply push the hood back. Can you imagine a giant hood crashing through your window at 176 mph? I don't want to.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:40 AM
@ slide or die @

i woulnt think my speedometer is off. Out of all seriousness, these numbers are not exagerated. AND, now that i think about it, tire size woulnt matter as the speedometer is prob linked to the Revs...have you ever tried burning out in rain/snow withoutt TCS on? your speedometer marks 50+ but you're not moving. Its not like boats that calcs speed by gps or a rotating wheel on the bottom of the ship.

i gotta drop my mom's van at the dealer. peace.

btw* the toyos i have are also v-rated (149mph) i worried about that too, but i was i so pumped i kept on to see if i could hit 150...and then to see i had enough juice to pass it.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Speedometer readings can be off by as much as 5% FROM THE FACTORY.

So, if you claim 153mph -5% = 145.35

Coincidence? I don't think so. No car, well maybe the high-end performance ones have their speedometer calibrated at the factory.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:57 AM
Instructor

All modern cars speedos are set to over estimate speed, some more than others. The only easy way to know the exact speed is using a GPS. For example my fun car was limited to 155 (prior to demiliting it) however I have seen an indicated 164 with the limiter still on but using GPS showed an indicated 104 is really 100. From internet anecdotal information European cars seem to be the worst offenders with error rates increasing at higher speeds, Japanese cars seem to have a constant error rate. The chances of your indicated 153 being an actual 153 are almost nil. If you want to know what she will really do get a GPS.

Vandy
Old 12-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Cruisin'

But, wouldn't the computer that would limit the speed be looking at the same speed sensor that feeds the speedometer? I mean, it shouldn't matter what the *real* speed is, just what the car thinks the speed is. How else would the car know what the real speed is?? Tires and wheels would not matter in this case.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 AM
@ slide or die @

lets not get too phylosophical on this. Tru, the speedometer could be off, but then PURE AD said his governor kiked in at 147. maibe its because it's a '99. Notice how this model is the most different of them all. AND nobody expected this car to go this high stock. On my previous record, it took about 3miles just to get to 135 and it took forever to accel past that in 4th...maibe these japs didnt consider the possibility of a driver like me modding their luxury sedan.

i dont think i'll be doing this again, but if i ever do, i'll film it....i just gotta find another place like thisone.

NXTNEXT, i'd say its a coincidence, because if the governor were to kik in, i woul've felt the car hold back and like i said, i'm sure the car would've gone past it. Testing my friend's 5sd '04 civic EX (1.6l vtec) the governor kiked in at like 110 or 115 and its very notisable.

Oh, btw those wondering what 3rd gear on a '99 could do. If over reved to about ~6500 you'll be at 125+...didnt wanna rev past that 'cause i'm very obsessed about taking care of my Tl
Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by etxxz
i woulnt think my speedometer is off. Out of all seriousness, these numbers are not exagerated. AND, now that i think about it, tire size woulnt matter as the speedometer is prob linked to the Revs...have you ever tried burning out in rain/snow withoutt TCS on? your speedometer marks 50+ but you're not moving. Its not like boats that calcs speed by gps or a rotating wheel on the bottom of the ship.

btw* the toyos i have are also v-rated (149mph) i worried about that too, but i was i so pumped i kept on to see if i could hit 150...and then to see i had enough juice to pass it.
You're absolutely right. The speedometer gets the speed readings from the differential, so the ACTUAL speed at which the car is moving doesn't get factored into that.

But I'm just saying that there's still a margin of error in the readings from the differential. The governor doesn't kick in based on the speed displayed on the speedometer. So your speedometer could say 154, but it would be off.

Does that make sense??
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
mine made it to 154 before with no limiter kicking in, the needle was showing almost 160. i know i was doing 154 due to a friend that is a county sheriff who was running radar on me that night. (both he and i were bored)
Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 AM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
mine made it to 154 before with no limiter kicking in, the needle was showing almost 160. i know i was doing 154 due to a friend that is a county sheriff who was running radar on me that night. (both he and i were bored)
heh, there we go...and he has the 2000model

heh, this just makes me wanna redline 4th....not anytime soon though. prob after -S camgears and Tb (got tb, cg will come in 1-2weeks @ my house) but this will be a whole new thread

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Does that make sense??
yeah, yeah i understand perfectly...infact, i knew somthing like this was gonna get mentioned in this thread. The only way to be sure is to call acura 'cause google aint helping.

*rep points for those will substantial info!!
and if u didnt get, its because i already gave not too long ago
Old 12-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Dragging knees in

Damn, Kris. You ACTUALLY went 154 according to a police radar? That's weird, but cool nonetheless.

My governor kicked in at 147 exactly. I wish I could change it. I would love to hit 160+ in this car with Z-rated tires. I'm quite certain that the car is capable of it, too.

Then again, I would probably wrap my car around a tree going that fast, so no, I'm OK with 147.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Damn, Kris. You ACTUALLY went 154 according to a police radar? That's weird, but cool nonetheless.

My governor kicked in at 147 exactly. I wish I could change it. I would love to hit 160+ in this car with Z-rated tires. I'm quite certain that the car is capable of it, too.

Then again, I would probably wrap my car around a tree going that fast, so no, I'm OK with 147.
yea i went that fast i had z rated tires. the car is fairly stable at that speed, but it was pretty much maxed out. i dont think i could have redlined 4th with out alot more power (and with a revlimiter hanging around waiting to kick in) with a SC i could probably do it but i dont so i dont see it happening
Old 12-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Is yours a '99? I'm asking because I'm just curious if you were in 4th as the top gear, or still had another gear to go.

Nonetheless, you should be happy knowing that you would beat me in top speed runs.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Is yours a '99? I'm asking because I'm just curious if you were in 4th as the top gear, or still had another gear to go.

Nonetheless, you should be happy knowing that you would beat me in top speed runs.
2000. the key is more miles you have the faster the car gets
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Advanced

yup...like the title says...who came up with this number??! and where he get the info?...i've always been under the impression 145 was unbreakable...WRONG!

I proved this wrong less than 20minutes ago, coming from a friend's house (no alcohol, just a promise to myself to beat my previous 141 record -when stock- when the temp lowered under 55). Location: S. Florida. 20min ago, temperature at 49*F 83% humidity (weather.com right now) on a 2up-2down straight road strip, almost 3.5miles long, with 0 cars at 1:40am, which i circled up and down once in search of cops...all precautions taken.

i floored it from a complete stop up to 153mph in 2.4miles!!!!! (error .1 as dist was measured as i retraced what i've traveled...no matter what whoever/watever says, i saw my car rev HARD and strong past 145, and still had time, distance and power to beat the 153 (i stopped because there was a pickup further ahead and i wouldnt know how it would act so i breaked down to 70 passed him and headed back home....BTW for those interested 150mph on 4th gear in '99 TL(-p) is at exactly 5000rpm.

the RUSH WAS AMAZING, it feels good!! UFFF...i dont support racers, and it may seem like i race a lot..well i dont, it was just a coincidence (previus thread not long ago)...oh, and so was yesterdays coming back from hot imports night with some sucky riced up turbo civic givin me shit...but still, i raced untill 80mph stuck my finger out the window (not middle one - waving no, no, no) as i passed him cause he was too slow... and i had 3ppl in the car.

Anyows, just sharing new info on our cars!!! DRIVE SAFELY!

-etxx

btw*, i do know how to spell BS...just being courteous!
luis, where the hell in boca did u get up to that speed?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey etxxz I just realized you have a '99 heather mist as well. I checked out your acura inspired gallery... ride looks good man! It's rare to see HSM owners around here.

Have you ever gone to the track for 1/4 mile, etc.? I'm interested in what our '99 can pull with all those nice performance mods.
Also any plans for suspension mods?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:59 PM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by luxurycarson20s
luis, where the hell in boca did u get up to that speed?
441 between Atlantic and Bointon Beach blvd

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
Hey etxxz I just realized you have a '99 heather mist as well. I checked out your acura inspired gallery... ride looks good man! It's rare to see HSM owners around here.

Have you ever gone to the track for 1/4 mile, etc.? I'm interested in what our '99 can pull with all those nice performance mods.
Also any plans for suspension mods?
tru, tru, represent! I didnt know it was called HSM...i called it champagne as it was a whitish silver...somewhere between pearl white and SSM.

Never been to the track, but i want to...and mods...i'm buying type-S cams and tb (today or tomorow for sure) to be put in ASAP...i want suspension but i have another car to take care of and its too much $$ for me right now...good thing its christmans
Old 12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Instructor

hey where u getting the type-s cams and t/b?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bondboy76
hey where u getting the type-s cams and t/b?
junk yards
Old 12-13-2004, 06:07 PM
@ slide or die @

i wrecked my neighbor's type-S. don't tell him
Old 12-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i wrecked my neighbor's type-S. don't tell him

na but fo real how did you get the cam and tb!?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 PM

tire size does matter

i had a 98 accord with 17 inch rims and low profiles.... the wheel and tire diameter combo was actually smaller then stock.....

my cars speedo was off, it was faster.... ask anyone who changes the circumference of the entire combo.... they need to recalibrate the speedo
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

they arent linked to the revs. they are linked to wheel speed, not overall car speed. if you floor it in the rain or snow and the tires spin, and the spedo shows 50 the fronts are spinning at 50mph.
wheel size matters alot. and can throw off a speedo big time. i had a speedo that was 12mph off once due to the wrong size tire
Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 PM
@ slide or die @

i'm confused, but its a valid point...yet, it wouln't be a factor in this case.since i'm on stock rims and tire kingdom said the tires were the same xx/xxx as the stock ones when they put the toyos on. i'll check tomorow to be sure.

now lemmi get this straight, if i'm running on a bigger circumference the speedo is gonna be over estimating or under estimating? overEst. right?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 PM

no its opposite. the smaller the circumference, the higher "speed" you'll be running at. imagine a really small wheel.... how many times will it spin to go the same distance as a larger wheel....

the smaller wheel has to turn a lot more times to go the same distance... therefore the smaller wheel will give you a high/faster reading
Old 12-13-2004, 11:20 PM
trill recognize trill

wtf is the governor
Old 12-14-2004, 12:27 AM
Banned

its "governs" your speed capacity
Old 12-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Intermediate

does it take a long time get to 147mi?

when i pull to red line @ 3rd gear, then in the 4th gear i feel the power so weak?

how about your TL?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:15 AM
Banned

wait until vtec kicks in in 4th its not a huge kick in the ass but theres a deffinite little pick up there .. i got mine to 130 and it was definately still pulling strong and all i have is an intake
Old 12-14-2004, 05:25 PM
@ slide or die @

actually the trick to get way up there is to over rev 3rd up to like 6700 rpm (not quite 6700, but almost) which is like 125mph and after than click 4th and it'll accel much faster...if you dont then you'll be stuck at 115 and never move past that...

this is why vafc is such a good mod on our cars...i got my vtec kikin in at 4000

I checked my tires and they are the same as the stock ones. their just better rubber...and cheaper too! so this eliminates any skeptisism we had on my speedometer being too far off...if i ever try again, i'll do 160 so there's no doubts.

From this thread, i kinda conclude that there's no governor in TL-p for 3 reasons:
1) 2people passed the 147point
2) IF there was a limiter, we'd probably be limited way before we redline our 4th gear, or way before the tire's rating...2mph seems very unsafe (v-rated=149 governor=147)
3) 1person with TL-S got the fun cut at 147.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

actually the trick to get way up there is to over rev 3rd up to like 6700 rpm (not quite 6700, but almost) which is like 125mph and after than click 4th and it'll accel much faster...if you dont then you'll be stuck at 115 and never move past that...

this is why vafc is such a good mod on our cars...i got my vtec kikin in at 4000

I checked my tires and they are the same as the stock ones. their just better rubber...and cheaper too! so this eliminates any skeptisism we had on my speedometer being too far off...if i ever try again, i'll do 160 so there's no doubts.

From this thread, i kinda conclude that there's no governor in TL-p for 3 reasons:
1) 2people passed the 147point
2) IF there was a limiter, we'd probably be limited way before we redline our 4th gear, or way before the tire's rating...2mph seems very unsafe (v-rated=149 governor=147)
3) 1person with TL-S got the fun cut at 147.
just because the tire size is correct doesnt mean the speedo is correct. most cars (bmw being the worst) the faster you go the more incorrect the speedo is. ive seen the tl is about 5 off at those speeds.

the tires are speed rated, but it doesnt mean that they will blow up if you go faster. that rating is a rating that is a sustaned speed limit. for brief stints the tire can handle more. and in the 5 speed TL's the car doesnt make enough hp to get it to redline in 4th

oh and i have to shift into 4th at (my speedo shows 115) when teh revlimiter is kicking in
Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM
@ slide or die @

correct. you have no idea how bad i wanna bomb you with rep points.

but i got some question though...What exactly happens when i go over the speed rated on the tires?

i guess the over revin 3rd up to 125 is for '99s...5AT's got shorter gears, right? woulnt this make it easier to redline your 4th?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

correct. you have no idea how bad i wanna bomb you with rep points.

but i got some question though...What exactly happens when i go over the speed rated on the tires?

i guess the over revin 3rd up to 125 is for '99s...5AT's got shorter gears, right? woulnt this make it easier to redline your 4th?
nothing really happens unless you really exceede the max limit or hold it there for prolonged periods of time.
what happens is belts can brake, tires will blister,the tires can delaminate, all leading to blow outs.
but its not going to happen if the tire is rated for 149 and you do 155. odds are you are only going to do it for a few seconds. and the tire is rated by govt standards to do its maximum (if memory serves correctly like a hour under full load rating) those ratings are weird and sometinmes hard to understand.

im not sure how the gearing is in the tl compared to the 99 but fourth is too tall in the 00 and up
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

if I dont rev 3rd gear up to 6700 rpm then I will be stuck at 115~

IS THAT RUGHT?

I think that's what happened to me!!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

i hear when u race you always have to shift @ MAX hp which is @5500rpm 220hp

when the rpm after 5500 the hp is decreasing and u lose hp, that means u lose
time also!!

IS THAT RIGHT??

Quick Reply: BULLSHEET 145mph rev limiter!!! (proof inside)