Brought my car in for 3 problems - acura didn't fix any of them

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brought my car in for 3 problems - acura didn't fix any of them

This is my last month under warranty, and after reading people on this board saying they got some things replaced under warranty I decided I better take care of them now. My CD player takes forever to play burned CDs, my car was vibrating when braking, and my center console wont stay closed because the screws that hold it in (the 4 or 5 in the middle) seem to be stripped a little, and over time come lose.
I just got off the phone with the guy at Acura of Pasadena, he said they didnt resurface the rotors because my brake pads are at 66% and I should just wait until I get new pads to get the rotors resurfaced as it'd be cheaper, but shouldn't that be covered under warranty? I know someone else on here got it done under warranty
The cd player they said they wouldnt fix because "thats the way it works sometimes", and they said they replaced the latch in the center console, which wasn't even the problem.
Can anyone recommend a better place than Acura of Pasadena for the LA area? also, does it make sense to wait to get your rotors resurfaced until you get new brake pads, or are they just trying to screw me out of getting it fixed while its under warranty?
Old 10-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Pro

They can't fix anything, OLD NEWS. How many miles do you have? If the mileage is not low, they will probably deny you for rotor repair? Because technically brake and rotor are normal tear and wear items, unless they offer real good customer service, they usually don't honor warr. In case some people really abuse their brake, then Acura will be replacing tons of them. Find a real good dealer and try your luck. Maybe Park Ave, I hear so many people here say they are the best.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

That would be one hell of a drive for him tho, considering that he's on the other side of the country.......
Old 10-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Pro

yeah........my brakes got messed up at 13k miles.......they fixed it for me then, and again at 24k miles.........now that im at 36k miles they wont do any brake work for free =P
Old 10-10-2002, 03:48 AM
7th Gear

My brakes were done at 14K miles for free, but at 25K they charged me $125 for new brake pads and to resurface the rotors. so no more waranty for me.............
Old 10-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Instructor

One thing is for sure, rotors (disks) should not wear that fast (if ever). So vipvop, check other dealership and if that doesn’t work call Acura Customer Care and simply complain. Remember that you have to be persistent, regardless of how much your brake pads are worn. They should probably replace both in your case, pads, and rotors under warranty because too hard friction material on brake pads cases rotors to wear prematurely. As for other complains that you have, try to talk to dealer/manager and again if you are not satisfied call Customer Care. Try to get as much as possible for free, very simple but the fact is, you have to be persistent because they are not going to give them you just like that, they want your money of course. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Drifting

Dude that's GAY! My Acura resurfaced my rotors due to warped rotors and gave me new brake pads along with it. Go somewhere else. Also if you get a survey from them, check unsatisfactory on all of it. Or better yet, call Acura Regional and request the survey and do that. It sckrews the dealer when you do that.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

All 99 and '00 TLs have the same problem with their CDs. My dealer wouldn't do a thing claiming a replacement wouldn't solve the problem. I'm following the advice of other postings by using those brands that work in my unit and by burning at slower speeds.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Doogie20
All 99 and '00 TLs have the same problem with their CDs. My dealer wouldn't do a thing claiming a replacement wouldn't solve the problem. I'm following the advice of other postings by using those brands that work in my unit and by burning at slower speeds.
I had the same problem with my 99. After going back to the dealer, they installed a new one (updated internals i guess), and that did the trick! My 99 can play any and all CD-R's.

Jung
Old 10-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Racer

i just went to tustin acura... they didnt fix much... treated me like i was a little kid ... is there any better dealerships in LA?

Also, who do you talk to, your dealer who you bought the car from? or the service manager....
Old 10-11-2002, 02:23 AM
Cruisin'

brakes- first of all how many miles on your car? im assuming its close to 50k or 4yrs?? either way brakes are normally not warranty, because they are considered wear and tear items. unless you have low milage on a new vehicle. now getting new rotors and brakes at high milage is pretty hard to come by. the dealer would have to get approval from acura. even then its pretty hard to get. the reason it shakes upon braking is that the rotors are warped.

radio- many acura models have problems with burned cd's. sometimes relating to the thickness of the cd(sometimes the label you stick on there adds to the thickness). check your disks are they too thick(compare to an original disk), warped, scratched????

center console- im not too sure what part you are talking about?? the dealer replaced the latch probably from miscommunication, and they assumed it had to be about the bullitin

now if your still looking for a dealer, im a tech over at "acura of south bay", its in torrance.
if not, well i hoped this helped
Old 10-11-2002, 02:25 AM
Cruisin'

sorry forgot to add my name - - - patrick
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Normal Warped and Premature Defectively Warped are two different things. The pads are the cause to the warping, and the poor disc get affected. No more execuses. You can reason anything and everything is tear and wear if you don't want to fix it. Give me one item and I can tell you it is tear and wear if you don't want to fix it.

"Acura = Bad Service"
Old 06-24-2005, 01:38 PM
The wood god

i've come to see it's the brand of CD you use in the car, if you use a cheap shit brand it wont load but a good brand high quality CD it works perfectly atleast on mine thats how it goes
Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

My rotors were replaced under warranty/recall. You can check the tsb for all TL recalls, or check the website offered to Acura owners by acura.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vipvop
This is my last month under warranty, and after reading people on this board saying they got some things replaced under warranty I decided I better take care of them now. My CD player takes forever to play burned CDs, my car was vibrating when braking, and my center console wont stay closed because the screws that hold it in (the 4 or 5 in the middle) seem to be stripped a little, and over time come lose.
I just got off the phone with the guy at Acura of Pasadena, he said they didnt resurface the rotors because my brake pads are at 66% and I should just wait until I get new pads to get the rotors resurfaced as it'd be cheaper, but shouldn't that be covered under warranty? I know someone else on here got it done under warranty
The cd player they said they wouldnt fix because "thats the way it works sometimes", and they said they replaced the latch in the center console, which wasn't even the problem.
Can anyone recommend a better place than Acura of Pasadena for the LA area? also, does it make sense to wait to get your rotors resurfaced until you get new brake pads, or are they just trying to screw me out of getting it fixed while its under warranty?

The won't fix the CD player, can't be fixed...a flaw in the design by Alpine, go get a 02 TL 6 disc indash changer, plugs right in with out a problem and plays burned CDs.

Center console is wear and tear will not do a thing for you.

Breaks, it's not you and it's not them, but the mechanic that tighten the bolts on your wheels. With un-even bolt preasure, the rotor gets hot and cold and has room to expand (warping) next time you get your breaks done or take off the wheel get a torq wrench where you can set the max number of pounds to be applied. (solved my warping problem)

All of which are not warranty items
Old 06-24-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Ummmmm.....

You are all aware that this was originally posted in 2002, right?! I'd hope he's found some peace of mind by now and isn't running the same warped rotors!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
You are all aware that this was originally posted in 2002, right?
Everyone but acutee, who's on a dealer bashing jag, is aware of it. See all the other threads he's posted in tonight with the same diatribe.