brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brakes question

i have a 2000m tl with 20k on it warrrenty is almost up, when i apply light pressure to my brakes WHEN THERE WARM i get a pulsing in the steering wheel not so bad at high speed when more force is applyed! i think it might be warped rotors or hard brake pads? will the dealer fix under warrenty because of my low mileage? ant thoughts i really dont want to turn the rotors tosoon if i can help it
Old 04-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

Pulsating Steering Wheel... is usally a sign of warped rotors in the front if im not mistaken. And I know there is some sort of TSB on it. I dont see why they wouldnt cover it if your under warranty especially. And remember if one dealer says no.. go to another dealer, dont settle for the bull shit that they give you. Different Dealers, Different Answers.

Gluck
Old 04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your rotors are warped. If you are within warranty bring it back to dealer. If you are out, then you cna have them re-surfaced
Old 04-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Racer

thing is, the dealer will replace the rotors or resurface them if they are cheap and will install softer compound pads.

not cool, but what can ya do.

if you just want the rotors resurfaced, you can take them off yourself and take them to any local brake shop and they'll usually do it for $20.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:56 PM
TL-S driver

If it is the front rotors, most likely they will just replace the rotor instead of resurfacing so you don't come back in a few miles complaining of the same problem. I had mine replaced at 20,000 miles.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
We are acutally supposed to cut the rotors if they are within spec but if they are marginal we will replace em.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't worry so much about the OEM rotors being turned. Sometime down the road, you will end up replacing them to better ones anyway. At 5,500 kms the rear rotors on my TL-S HAD to be turned because the dealer claimed the car was sitting in the lot too long or maybe a defective factory brake cover letting moisture in. This is after bringing the car in several times to convince the service manager that there is indeed a vibration while braking. It required me to bring up the issue with the Assistant sales manager who intervened on my behalf and get them to do the work. Like NYDesi80 said, shop around for a dealer whom you'lle be comfortable doing business with, not someone who treats you like you just bought a sunfire. If the dealer gives you a runaround, go to their CS desk and ask for a customer feedback card, and say that you won't be back there for servicing.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
LOL...A SUNFIRE :lol1:
Old 04-12-2004, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Hi. My dealer refused to resurface my warped rotors under warranty. The service department was very nice and curteous however, they said that the pulsating in the steering wheel was not a safety hazard and still can be driven. Also, they said that the warped rotors are caused by different driving habits and is not a manufacturer's defect. This is true, but I drive normally to and from work. He told me that resurfacing the front rotors and replacing the pads will cost me $235 since it is considered a normal brake maintenance duty. I know some people on this forum were able to get this job fixed under warranty. Anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to get my brakes fixed under warranty? Thanks

Also, I would prefer to receive service from this dealer. Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get after market rotors and pads. You would save more time and hassle. If the dealer resurface you rotors, you might need to go through the same thing again 6 months later.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by socaltl
Hi. My dealer refused to resurface my warped rotors under warranty. The service department was very nice and curteous however, they said that the pulsating in the steering wheel was not a safety hazard and still can be driven. Also, they said that the warped rotors are caused by different driving habits and is not a manufacturer's defect. This is true, but I drive normally to and from work. He told me that resurfacing the front rotors and replacing the pads will cost me $235 since it is considered a normal brake maintenance duty. I know some people on this forum were able to get this job fixed under warranty. Anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to get my brakes fixed under warranty? Thanks

well your dealer pulled one over on you because there is a TSB on our rotors, they warp very easy and they know about it. find a different dealer
Old 04-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

Warped Roters

Hi,
I had this problem for quite some time, and had complained about this to the dealer several times without any luck. I was nearing 50K miles and wanted to fix this problem before the warranty expired. The dealer did a great job when I specifically asked them to turn the roters.

Brakes feel great now. If I have this problem again I will replace the rotors with some better ones.

-Stock_TL
Old 04-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by socaltl

Talk to the service rep's supervisor and tell them you know about the TSB.
http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/Ar...01602-1622.pdf
Just work you way up the chain of command in the service dept - if your car is under warranty and they can't find any evidence of you abusing your brakes, they need to fix them for free.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

The idea of bringing it to the dealer while under warranty is so they can document it on the system. Once it's in the system, then they can't revoke it since they had to indicate if they actually resolved the problems, etc.. SO if you have a claim against Honda later on, they can't say you didn't bring it to the dealer's attention. While it's under warranty, bring it to them and then to another dealer, and then to another until you can get the matter resoved. Only when your warranty runs out should you think of getting aftermarket parts. I b*tched and complained like a squeaky wheel (especially if done in front of other customers) until I got my problems resolved (bad rear rotors, bubbles on the Michelin OEMs). Them being nice to you is one thing, but if it doesn't resolve your problem, there's no point of going back there. And also they are in no position to determine that it was caused by your driving habits, they are just hitting the ball back to your court.