Brakes Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes Need Help!

alright guys......just a simple inquiry to all you TL experts

i have a 99 with 85000 on her......the brakes are needing some help

i know our rotors suck, and i'm now needing new pads and at least having the rotors turned

i just wanted to know what yall thought in terms of either just having a shop put new pads on and resurface the rotors, or buy new pads and rotors myself and getting help from my Bro-in-law and putting them on, i assume it's not too difficult, and he knows a lot about cars

if you suggest buying new pads and rotors myself, what's a good system to go with, that won't cost me an arm and a leg.....i'm not going to be racing or taking it to the track, so i don't need like slotted and cross drilled brembos or anything
Old 07-27-2004, 11:50 AM
NYC... How Sweet It Is!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was you I would buy just replace the rotors and pads. I had my stock rotors cut 2 times before I said f*ck this shit and bought brand new. I went with Rotora Slotted Rotors and Axxis Pads. You said you don't race or autocross, so I would go with Brembo OEM replacement rotors and just pick up a set or Raybestos pads at your local Auto Zone or Pepboys. Shouldn't cost you that much. I believe on Tire Rack they have the rotors for $70 each which isn't bad and the pads should run you another $60. I am not def. about prices.

But thats what I would do. Save you on headache's later. And you can do the install yourself. Took me about 1 hour to install the fronts.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Racer

thanks for the advice man....

i guess i just didn't realize how much rotors would be....i need to call around and get some prices on rotor resurfacing/pad replacement, see how that compares to just replacing everything myself

anyway, preciate the info
Old 07-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Man that sounds oh soo familair, and let me just tell you if you turn those stock ones you will be turning them agian in about a month do yourself a favor and get the rotora slotted front rotors, these things are great, i've had them on for 2 months now and not one bibration what soo ever , they are great i got them from here for 82.95 each with free shipping, and you should get the metal master pads too, awsome combo!!
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rot...-cl-tl-rl.html
Old 07-27-2004, 02:12 PM
NYC... How Sweet It Is!!

Originally Posted by fred3113
Man that sounds oh soo familair, and let me just tell you if you turn those stock ones you will be turning them agian in about a month do yourself a favor and get the rotora slotted front rotors, these things are great, i've had them on for 2 months now and not one bibration what soo ever , they are great i got them from here for 82.95 each with free shipping, and you should get the metal master pads too, awsome combo!!
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rot...-cl-tl-rl.html

I have to agree with you. But for wouldn't get the Metal Master Pads. There awesome, but he said he doesn't race or autocross. So he really only needs a good ceramic pad. When you switch to a metal grade pad you do get improved stopping power and less brake fad over heavy braking. But that comes with noisy brakes and alot of brake dust. In my opinion I would go for a ceramic pad.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

agree stock rotors SUCKS
however ger new rotors and change ur pad + change ur break fuel and break line
that shold make some big difference.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Racer

are you guys serious????

you really think i'll be turning them again in a few months??
what would a typical shop charge me just to resurface rotors and put on basic pads??

i'm just trying to get the cost effectiveness of each options....

but thanks a lot for all the opinions and advice, any other really good places to get the rotors/pads from if i decide to change them both?

oh yea.....and can i just replace the front rotors if i decide to replace them??

would that be oK?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Racer

modacar.com has Rotora slotted for 142 for the front pair and rear pair for 120 bucks.
Got all 4 shipped for $298. Im loving them!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
there is a package on ebay for 399, u get iRotors F&R rotors, Axxis pads, and iRotor's break line...

i was wondering, do the Metalic Axxis break pads are really loud? I can decide between Ceramic and Metalic, please advise...thanx
Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Rotora Rotor and Axxis Deluxe Pads

I just got all four brake rotors and pads replaced with Rotora slotted rotors and Axxis Deluxe pads. From what I read on this forum, they seem to be great for those who aren't going to race but may need a spirited stop sometimes. After the install, I noticed 2 things:

1- road noise is louder when driving (not braking)

2- tho I thought there would be more "bite", there is the opposite-- the brakes have less bite than my OEM setup

Did something go wrong?? Please help!

Jung
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Race Director

im wondering what would a mechanic charge to install the 4 rotors and 4 pads on the average?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Racer

here's what i'm thinking, rotora's for 142 for the front pair is a pretty good deal from what i've seen

i'm not gonna race, i'm not gonna track her, i'm not gonna do NOTHING, but drive her.....perhaps a little spirited on occassion, but nothing unordinary

do you guys think i would be alright swapping the front rotors for the Rotora's, and just changing all the pads???

the fronts take most of the beating anyway don't they, do the rears warp as bad as the fronts do?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned

I bought the cermaic brake pads from Tirerack.com...they work great !
Old 07-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by uncsuperman
here's what i'm thinking, rotora's for 142 for the front pair is a pretty good deal from what i've seen

i'm not gonna race, i'm not gonna track her, i'm not gonna do NOTHING, but drive her.....perhaps a little spirited on occassion, but nothing unordinary

do you guys think i would be alright swapping the front rotors for the Rotora's, and just changing all the pads???

the fronts take most of the beating anyway don't they, do the rears warp as bad as the fronts do?

lets think logically, if you change only the front rotors, your front will grip better and it will slow down faster than the back, also it will be taking on more load from the back to break, thus really defeating the purpose of investing into good rotors only for the front.

My front rotors are pretty warped, im getting new drilled/slotted rotors with Axxis ceramic pads and possible new stainelss steel break lines, and forget about the breaks for a long time. Acura should have a recall on their shitty rotors.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by teknoking
lets think logically, if you change only the front rotors, your front will grip better and it will slow down faster than the back, also it will be taking on more load from the back to break, thus really defeating the purpose of investing into good rotors only for the front.

My front rotors are pretty warped, im getting new drilled/slotted rotors with Axxis ceramic pads and possible new stainelss steel break lines, and forget about the breaks for a long time. Acura should have a recall on their shitty rotors.

The fron brakes do all the work anyway, i have the rotora rotors in the front and the metal master pads and it brakes like a dream, no vibration , no noise, and definetly inproved stopping.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Race Director

so metal master are good? no noise?

and is changing the break line will really be useful or just a waste of money, my breaks are great now but my front rotors are warped, so if I will change the rotors, i just see this sale on ebay for 399 with the iRotors, Metal Master Axxis pads, and iRotor break lines, should i go for it?
Old 07-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Racer

i would be hesitant of irotors, a lot of people have had bad experience with them , i say stick with rotora, the brand has a great rep and great quality
Old 07-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Racer

i'm just a little tight on cash right now.....i figured changing the front rotors right now and waiting to get new rears is a much better option than just resurfacing all the rotors and putting on new pads

i think that's what i'll do......change out the front rotors, the rears shouldn't be warped, and get some new basic pads

what would you all recommend for front rotors and new pads, keeping cost in mind?