Brake Pad Material-ceramic vs carbon metallic vs semi-metallic..etc..Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I would like to get some of you guy's opinion on the merits and drawbacks on the various type of brake pad materials out there-ceramic, carbon metallic, semi-metallic, organic, and whatever else. Things like :
Best/worse stopping power
best/worse heat & fade resistance
best/worse brake dust on your wheels
best/worse brake noise.

I am especially interested in ceramic vs carbon metallic in terms of stopping power & brake dust. I have been using some PFC carbon metallic pads on my vehicles and I like them, but would like to hear other opinions

My impressions are that the carbon metallic probably stops a little better than ceramic, wears well, is easy on the rotors and makes some brake dust.
Ceramic probably has superior heat resistance and almost no brake dust, but are hard on rotors and can be noisy.
Fire away and thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 AM
6MT Someday..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
napa makes a pretty cool set of pads called adaptive one. They are hybrid. Check it out.

http://www.adaptive-1.com/

I installed these on my wifes odyssey. She is bad about last minute stops (warped rotors), and they are working great for her.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the original front rotors on my 04 TSX with what looked like recent OE Honda pads. They had Nissin/Honda stamped on them. The rotors were EXTREMELY warped but still had good bite on them.

I replaced them with some Wagner rotors and Wagner ceramic pads. I replaced the rear pads(worn all the way) only and kept the stock rotors. Rear pads also Wagner ceramic. Braking is very smooth now like brand new. I would say there is less initial bite and absolutely no noise.

I do miss the bite of the other pads so I might put on the old front pads to see what that feels like with rear ceramic. I was just tired of the dust so I may just live with it.

Question:
Will pads taken from warped rotors do anything weird to my new rotors? I don't think they should but wanted some informed opinions. The pads looked new as they had a lot of material still on them even compared to the new pads I just installed.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
are they flat and no uneven heat showing? give them a try if really near new- otherwise pads are cheap - braking is important!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ceramics can sometimes squeal and leave more dust than usual.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use oem pad's, and napa rotor's....oem pads seem to be the lowest dust i have found...napa rotors are failry cheap.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Derk's K24
Ceramics can sometimes squeal and leave more dust than usual.
I thought ceramic pads generally produce LESS dust-
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
To answer the original question, it really depends on what the pad was built for.

You can build a high-performance semi-metallic pad. You can also build a high-performance NAO ceramic pad. (Axxis ULT for example) Therefore, it'd be inaccurate to make blanket statements with regards to the characteristics that you mentioned.

Also, carbon metallic is just a fancy marketing term for a semi-metallic brake pad.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
To answer the original question, it really depends on what the pad was built for.

You can build a high-performance semi-metallic pad. You can also build a high-performance NAO ceramic pad. (Axxis ULT for example) Therefore, it'd be inaccurate to make blanket statements with regards to the characteristics that you mentioned.

Also, carbon metallic is just a fancy marketing term for a semi-metallic brake pad.
And to add to that the Axxis ult pad i wouldnt touch f you gave to me. It was the worst pad ive ever driven.