Brake Lamp Light is on

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Lamp Light is on

Does anyone know how to get rid of this lamp? I had a bulb out in the back and replaced it, but the light in the dash comes on everytime I hit the brakes now...Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 10-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Instructor

Are you sure you've got the right kind of bulb? Are you sure the bulbs are all working correctly?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:55 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are all your lights in the taillight now functioning correctly? IMO I would check these three things:

1) are you sure you used the correct bulb replacement?

2) are you sure you have made a "solid" connection while replacing the bulb? (good connection?)

3) one/or more of your lights have since failed (you will have to replace other bulbs) (did you replace them in pairs?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Desi Pride

I am having the same problem. But my parking brake light only lights up when the temp is below 50 F outside. I am gona check the cabling this coming weekend if I have time. I read on here earlier that the senor if when wet (condensation) also can cause a problem.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

The lamp light you are having have nothing to do with your brake lamps. It is an indicator for your brakes. I too have this problem usually on cold days. Since I have aftermarket rotors I don't really care about it. But in the past, the dealership actually removed my rear brakes and told me that the pads are worn. Once they removed them and reinstalled them the the light went away until I install my irotors and pads.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrtl32
Does anyone know how to get rid of this lamp? I had a bulb out in the back and replaced it, but the light in the dash comes on everytime I hit the brakes now...Any suggestions? Thanks

If you changed the bulbs and they are all working correctly, it's most likely your master cylinder cap. It will especially come on in the morning till you drive for a bit. The cap is not holding pressure. Take it ot the dealer and if your car is under warranty they will replace it for free.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Racer

have you checked the level of your brake fluid?

mine was low and that's why it came on.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

sup

I to have the same problem, but you need to make sure you are buying bulbs that have the dual filament, that are for both braking and driving lights. The first set of lights I had originally bought my parking lights turned on but when I hit the brakes the brake light turned on. It was a nuisance. Try that, if thats not the problem maybe it has something to do with wiring? Good luck to you
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1fasttl
If you changed the bulbs and they are all working correctly, it's most likely your master cylinder cap. It will especially come on in the morning till you drive for a bit. The cap is not holding pressure. Take it ot the dealer and if your car is under warranty they will replace it for free.
Yeah mine comes on sometimes when it's been sitting there too long. If it is the cap, you can turn off your car and take off the master culinder cap and reclose the cap. If the light is still on, it could be the sensor itself. I had mine replaced under warranty before. That or you're low on fluid.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
The lamp light you are having have nothing to do with your brake lamps. It is an indicator for your brakes. I too have this problem usually on cold days. Since I have aftermarket rotors I don't really care about it. But in the past, the dealership actually removed my rear brakes and told me that the pads are worn. Once they removed them and reinstalled them the the light went away until I install my irotors and pads.
The "BRAKE" light does come on if your brake lamp filament is out. If you want to test this out, you can go in the rear and remove one of the 7443 bulbs. The "BRAKE" light will come on and stay on until you replace the bulb. So yes it can have something to do with the brake lamps. Basically the "BRAKE" light it made to come on for many many reason including bulbs, master cylinder, and the acutal brake itself. Just like the CEL light comes on for many many many crap too (even if it doesn't relate directly to the engine).

Since the 7443 bulb is dual filament, if the thinner filament used for the parking light goes out, the "BRAKE" light will NOT come on. Only when the thicker filament used for the brake goes out, then it will come on.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chinaman38
I to have the same problem, but you need to make sure you are buying bulbs that have the dual filament, that are for both braking and driving lights. The first set of lights I had originally bought my parking lights turned on but when I hit the brakes the brake light turned on. It was a nuisance. Try that, if thats not the problem maybe it has something to do with wiring? Good luck to you
I'm kinda confused on what you're talking about........when you hit the brake the brake light is suppose to turn on.....so whats the nuisance?

Are you referring to the upper brake lights.........because you have lower brake lights also. If you are replacing your upper brake lights you need (2x 7440 bulbs). If you're replacing your lower brake/parking lights (7443 bulbs).
Old 10-04-2004, 12:20 PM
10th Gear

Thanks a lot for all the Replys....I definately got the right bulbs because I got them at the dealer. I will check the master cylinder cap this weekend and the wires in the trunk. This light just started last week. I know its not the brakes because I had them done recently.

I will let you guys know if I find out anything more.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Banned

there are TWO brake lights on the dash. one says BRAKES the other BRAKE LAMP. if the BRAKES one turns on when you first turn on the car and the turns off after the car warms up, the brake fluid is low. it expands once the car warms up. when the car is cool, pop the hood and add some more fluid.

if the BRAKE LAMP light is on, its the bulbs. just replace all four in the rear and it should go away. if it doesnt, it may be the wiring.

i have had BOTH of these problems. the BRAKES light i fixed by adding some brake fluid and it fixed it. havent had the light come on again. the BRAKE LAMP came on and i replaced the brake light bulbs and that light went away as well.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Instructor

car lost, thanks for clearing this up, cause it wus getting fuzzy. a slightly less wattage bulp will cause the "brake lamp" light, i had to go to a higher wattage bulb in my prelude. "brake" light, as the disc pads wear thinner, the fluid level will drop. just top it off to elliminate that cause.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
...But in the past, the dealership actually removed my rear brakes and told me that the pads are worn. Once they removed them and reinstalled them the the light went away......

wait, so you're saying that the BRAKE LAMP INDICATOR also tells you if your brakes are worn (enough to replace)?
Old 10-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shawn744
wait, so you're saying that the BRAKE LAMP INDICATOR also tells you if your brakes are worn (enough to replace)?
read my post above.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Kollage is funn!

Originally Posted by car_lost
read my post above.
okay, got it....so the "brake" light (same one for parkig brake) lights up when your pads are low.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shawn744
okay, got it....so the "brake" light (same one for parkig brake) lights up when your pads are low.
no, re-read the post. i said my FLUID was low. there are markings on the fluid tank that say minimum and maximum. let the car cool off as long as possible, pop open the hood and check where the level of the fluid is. if it is low, fill it up to the maximum level. the car HAS to he cool to do this because the fluid expands once the car is warmed up.

you can get the brake fluid at honda or acura dealership. i dont remember the exact price but i know it is for sure less than $20.

the brake fluid tank is on the right side (facing the car) right next to the strut bar.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Kollage is funn!

hehehe....OKAY.....i don't have fluid problems.....lemme ask a question....is there ANY light that comes on when your brakes are worn, and if yes which one(s)?.....sorry bout the confusion i had assumed that BRAKE indicator meant fluid.....thanks.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Banned

im not sure if the BRAKES light will come up if your pads are worn or what not. my brakes squeak now as it is and the BRAKES light has not come on. they are also warped to hell.

so if your light is on, in the morning before you start the car, check where the fluid is by.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:05 PM
10th Gear

Actually I know this for a fact. There is NO light that will come on when your brake pads are worn. I know when my front brake pads are low because when im driving in the highway or coming to a stop and I hit my brakes the steering wheel shakes...Does anyone have this problem?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Advanced

dude my engine check and maintenance required lights keep coming on and theres nothing wrong with my vehicle. whats up with that!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Instructor

"The pads are warn light" There actually is just a light. When you hear/feel the sickening growl and grind of metal into the rotors, Then this light will go off ""crap i should have replaced the pads sooner"" i have actually seen this light before.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Desi Pride

there are TWO brake lights on the dash. one says BRAKES the other BRAKE LAMP. if the BRAKES one turns on when you first turn on the car and the turns off after the car warms up, the brake fluid is low. it expands once the car warms up. when the car is cool, pop the hood and add some more fluid.

if the BRAKE LAMP light is on, its the bulbs. just replace all four in the rear and it should go away. if it doesnt, it may be the wiring.

i have had BOTH of these problems. the BRAKES light i fixed by adding some brake fluid and it fixed it. havent had the light come on again. the BRAKE LAMP came on and i replaced the brake light bulbs and that light went away as well.
Thanks for your help. You solved my problem. Topping off the brake fluid did it. It was just slightly low. I also checked the bulbs and brake pads while I was at it just to be on the safe side. They were all fine. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nayyarn
Thanks for your help. You solved my problem. Topping off the brake fluid did it. It was just slightly low. I also checked the bulbs and brake pads while I was at it just to be on the safe side. They were all fine. Thanks again.
no problem did you use honda brake fluid?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Desi Pride

no problem did you use honda brake fluid?
To me its all the same. As long as its DOT 3 or 4 you should be fine. I used DOT 3 to be safe side. I don't buy all that stuff that it has to Honda Brake fluid or it will destroy the system. Don't get me wrong I love Honda, but thatz just over kill in my book. For ATF I would have gone to the dealership and bought some ATF. Thatz because of all that I have read and plus I am on my second tranny at 55K replaced the 1st one at 51K. Did you use Honda Brake Fluid? Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nayyarn
To me its all the same. As long as its DOT 3 or 4 you should be fine. I used DOT 3 to be safe side. I don't buy all that stuff that it has to Honda Brake fluid or it will destroy the system. Don't get me wrong I love Honda, but thatz just over kill in my book. For ATF I would have gone to the dealership and bought some ATF. Thatz because of all that I have read and plus I am on my second tranny at 55K replaced the 1st one at 51K. Did you use Honda Brake Fluid? Thanks again for your help.
actually i think its a specific dot#. im not 100% sure which one it is, but adding a different kind of dot# fluid can break down the other one or something like that. i wouldnt mix different brands just to be safe. i used the honda one when i added some.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Instructor

honda has invented brake fluid now!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Advanced

do you know how to get rid of the maintaince required and engine check lights?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ghost?
do you know how to get rid of the maintaince required and engine check lights?
take it to the dealer, obviously something is wrong.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Advanced

my car just got back from a full engine check up. and still the lights remain.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Desi Pride

They forgot to turn the light off for you. It come on automatically when a recommended service is due. Read the owners manuel it tells you how to turn the light off. If I remember correctly you hold down the reset button and 10 to 15 seconds and turn the Ignition to position II or something like that. I just read my manuel each time before doing this.