Brake grease question and shaving rear EBC pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 06:50 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Brake grease question and shaving rear EBC pads?

Hey guys,

Yeah I did my searching... tons of it.

I bought a pair of rear EBC greenstuff but haven't gone around to install it yet. Found on this thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/lexus-luxury-redifined-105491/) that part of the pad has to be shaved in order for it to fit correctly... I checked out the pads and think it might be this little thing... is it?

If so do I simply use sand paper to rid of it?

Also, I have read from DIY guides that i will need some sort of brake pad grease/lubricant to prevent squeaking and other noises. Since the EBC's are aftermarket they did not come with any grease so I went to the Acura dealer and asked about the Molykote grease that a lot of people seem to use. The guy said it was frigging $28.99 for a little squeeze bottle! I said no way and went to my local auto stores to see if there's anything similar for less $.

Sure enough, I found these two products from CRC that might be good replacement. The problem is I don't know which is better.

Here's a pic of both:

The description of the RED bottle says as follows, "CRC Disc Brake Quiet is a specially formulated to dampen the vibrations that cause disc brake noise. It forms a water-resistant, high temperate film that will absorb noise and quiet disc braking. DIRECTIONS: For best results, all steel backing plates should be clean before applying CRC Disc Brake Quiet. (1) Apply liberally to the steel back of each outboard pad. Spread evenly over entire surface. Disc Brake Quiet should not be applied to brake lining. (2) Apply one applicator-width strip to the steel back of each inboard pad."

And on the BLACK bottle, "A specially formulated synthetic grease containing molybdenum disulfide, graphite, and TELFON. Keeps critical sliding parts in brake calipers free for optimum braking efficieny. Helps to prevent caliper blinding, sticking, vibration and squeal, and provide for even pad wear. Prevents rust and corrosion on brake parts to assure extended safe performance. Extremely high temperature features make certain this lubricant will not melt or run off caliper assemblies, metal backing plates of the disk brake pads, self-adjusters and drum brake systems. DIRECTIONS: When rebuilding, assembling, or installing disc brakes, thoroughly clean or replace all bolts, bushings, holes, pins, inserts and anchors. Lubricate all parts with a light coat of this grease including bolts which mount caliper to vehicle. Apply grease to caliper components with a small brush. Excellent for use on metal backing plates of pads, hardware of drum systems and parking brake cables."

They seem to be pretty much alike in their use. If anyone knows which is better... please help out, I really appreciate it!

One last thing, I've got the torque specs for each part of the brake assembly... is there anything else I need to do this install? Thanks guys...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
1 goes on the back side of the brake pad to hlp eliminate squeeks. the other (black bottle) goes on the caliper componontsto help lube the parts that slide. id stick with the red bottle the black really isnt needed
Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got the front EBC's delivered today and they dont look like that. each one has a black piece of metal on the back of each pad. what part number are the pads? mine are DP21610.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

I'm yet to take my brakes apart so I don't know the specifics of how the TL's brakes work, but I would definately use the black tub (caliper grease) to grease the pins the caliper slides on and the little slots the pads slide into on the caliper brackets. A properly lubed brake system will squeak much less and last a lot longer. Just be sure not to get any of the grease on the rotor or on the friction surface of the pad.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:01 PM
woooo!!

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
1 goes on the back side of the brake pad to hlp eliminate squeeks. the other (black bottle) goes on the caliper componontsto help lube the parts that slide. id stick with the red bottle the black really isnt needed
ahh.. the almighty kris has spoken. thanku for your input sir. i'd like to hear more from other people though.

btw you went back with your old avatar eh!

Originally Posted by car_lost
i got the front EBC's delivered today and they dont look like that. each one has a black piece of metal on the back of each pad. what part number are the pads? mine are DP21610.
strange... mine's are DP21193. Says it's for Prelude (97+) rear.
i ordered from tire rack before they completely sold out.
Well the thing is, these are rear's so it might be different from the part # of front pads.

Originally Posted by blackonblack02
I'm yet to take my brakes apart so I don't know the specifics of how the TL's brakes work, but I would definately use the black tub (caliper grease) to grease the pins the caliper slides on and the little slots the pads slide into on the caliper brackets. A properly lubed brake system will squeak much less and last a lot longer. Just be sure not to get any of the grease on the rotor or on the friction surface of the pad.
one vote for Red and one for Black. thx for your input too man... and let's hear some more from others.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
strange... mine's are DP21193. Says it's for Prelude (97+) rear.
i ordered from tire rack before they completely sold out.
Well the thing is, these are rear's so it might be different from the part # of front pads.
oh ok, i was starting to get worried. did you get the fronts?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Drifting

When I changed mine, I didnt put all the shims back on so I didnt have to trim/shave anything.Only put one or two back on instead of 3(I think) that there was. Not sure if this was the correct thing to do, but I havent had any problem so far. Have at least 3000+ miles on pads and rotors.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:25 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cma2180
When I changed mine, I didnt put all the shims back on so I didnt have to trim/shave anything.Only put one or two back on instead of 3(I think) that there was. Not sure if this was the correct thing to do, but I havent had any problem so far. Have at least 3000+ miles on pads and rotors.
I didn't use all the shims either when I put them on a while back...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by r10apple
so then u didnt have to shave that little nipple?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 AM
2003 SSM TLS

I'm with Kris on this one. The black really isn't needed. Most squeeking and brake noise is from the shims on the back of the pads. The red soluton should fix that issue. The pads should slide fine in the caliper without the black stuff.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
unless your calipers dont float (slide) good on the pins the black stuff isnt needed. it wont eliminate squeeks. only the red will do that
Old 01-26-2005, 11:07 PM
woooo!!

oh ok, i was starting to get worried. did you get the fronts?
nah i didn't order the fronts. by the time i placed the order tire rack was already out of them and since mine were replaced just 6k miles ago, they don't need a replacement just yet. problem is when i do, i'll need to fish out more $ for fronts elsewhere...

Originally Posted by cma2180
Originally Posted by r10apple
I see... thanks guys i think i'll ditch the shims too. What is their purpose anyway?

so what the nipple would hit is the shim...?

Originally Posted by 69ssrscam
I'm with Kris on this one. The black really isn't needed. Most squeeking and brake noise is from the shims on the back of the pads. The red soluton should fix that issue. The pads should slide fine in the caliper without the black stuff.
unless your calipers dont float (slide) good on the pins the black stuff isnt needed. it wont eliminate squeeks. only the red will do that
Cool. Sounds good I think I'll return the black stuff once I get this install done with.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:08 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Come to think of, I might have, but it was like a 2 second thing...
Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Banned

nah i didn't order the fronts. by the time i placed the order tire rack was already out of them and since mine were replaced just 6k miles ago, they don't need a replacement just yet. problem is when i do, i'll need to fish out more $ for fronts elsewhere...
i got the front pads from www.ajusa.com took about a week and half to get here. im gonna wait for the rotora group buy for the rear rotors and then i'll buy the rear pads as well.

as for the shim and shaving the "nipple" i have no idea. as you can see, some people didnt shave the "nipple" they just didnt use the shims... but is that safe? what do the shims do? then other people put all the shims, but they had to shave the nipple. im just trying to figure out whats the best way to go about it,
Old 01-27-2005, 01:21 PM
woooo!!

i got the front pads from www.ajusa.com took about a week and half to get here. im gonna wait for the rotora group buy for the rear rotors and then i'll buy the rear pads as well.
Cool, I checked out the site... pretty good prices. Thanks for the link

as for the shim and shaving the "nipple" i have no idea. as you can see, some people didnt shave the "nipple" they just didnt use the shims... but is that safe? what do the shims do? then other people put all the shims, but they had to shave the nipple. im just trying to figure out whats the best way to go about it,
Yeah actually, I would like to know which's the better method before I do the install. So let's see if anyone can answer that...
Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 AM
9th Gear

I got the same pads for the rear of my 99TL. And yes, mine had the nipples on them. Just out of curiosity, I installed them to see the fit. I found out, without shaving them off, the piston does not fit flush against the brake pad, which is not a good thing. Also, all the shims should not fit unless you shave the nipples. As for the shims, I have no idea, but I would assume they are there to dissipate/spread the force of the piston over a larger surface area, thus not cracking or splitting the pad in half. Try and find a friend with a die grinder or cutoff tool, it only takes 30 seconds or so per pad. Let us know how they work out.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:47 PM
woooo!!

I tried sanding those nipples off with a 60-grit sand paper. Only got the paint off.

Then I used a saw to attempt to cut them off. Nope. Got about 40% way in and my hands were tired already.

So I just installed the pads without the shims since someone has done it with 3k+ miles on them and no problems yet. Taking a little chance here.

I did this 2 days ago and just got a chance to post some pics... here you go:

wheel off, caliper unbolted and swung up. stock brake pads taken off.

EBC Greenstuff on the left and stocks on the right

EBC's installed without shim. i added the red paste as people recommended... actually i dont know if they even help since im not using the shims.

everything back together.

well i've driven about 100 miles on them so they are through with the Initial break-in. been engine braking more to avoid stomping on the brakes too much and will do some for the next few hundreds miles since I remember reading from somewhere that it takes about 800 miles for the pads to fully break-in.

So far so good. The difference I've felt so far is that the travel when i step on the brake pedal is less than before... but that's obvious because the stock pads only had 20% left on them haha.

If anything i shall update you guys. thanks for the help again.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:13 AM
2003 SSM TLS

Never seen stop squeek without shims....hmmm. I would have taken those nipples down with a bench grinder in about 1/2 a second and used the shims.

I can't imagine the piston side of the caliper with stop squeek and no shims.

I hope it works nice and quiet for you.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Its been a while, I gotta any other tips to remove those damn nipples? I was able to force the shims and calipers on, with just a little wiggling. Is this ok to do?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
:brakejob:

dude, if you want to make it cleaner, only add the orange disc brake quiet to the areas that contact the caliper
Old 06-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Wait, so you didn't get those tabs off completely?

I got Hawk HP Plus pads, and they said it was OK. So I installed the pads with the tabs still on there, and they hit the caliper pistons, making the pads apply against the rotor at an angle. Get those tabs off COMPLETELY. I used a hacksaw, got about 60% in, then used dykes to pry it off. Then I rubbed that side of the pad against the concrete until it was completely smooth. Concrete pavement is the best sandpaper ever.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 PM
woooo!!

It's been 4000 miles since... no problems with the rear pads at all.

No weird noises, better stopping compared to stock pads under moderate & heavy braking, about the same amount of brake dust as before... I check on them every now and then since i did away with the shim but everything's fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Planning on shaving off mine in a few... hope the concrete will do it
Old 06-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A grinder, either a bench top or a portable electric, works best.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
:brakejob:

I tried sanding those nipples off with a 60-grit sand paper. Only got the paint off.

Then I used a saw to attempt to cut them off. Nope. Got about 40% way in and my hands were tired already.

So I just installed the pads without the shims since someone has done it with 3k+ miles on them and no problems yet. Taking a little chance here.

I did this 2 days ago and just got a chance to post some pics... here you go:

wheel off, caliper unbolted and swung up. stock brake pads taken off.
[im g]http://files.subtledream.com/forum/IMG_0621.jpg[/img]

EBC Greenstuff on the left and stocks on the right
[im g]http://files.subtledream.com/forum/IMG_0623.jpg[/img]

EBC's installed without shim. i added the red paste as people recommended... actually i dont know if they even help since im not using the shims.
[im g]http://files.subtledream.com/forum/IMG_0624.jpg[/img]

everything back together.
[im g]http://files.subtledream.com/forum/IMG_0630.jpg[/img]

well i've driven about 100 miles on them so they are through with the Initial break-in. been engine braking more to avoid stomping on the brakes too much and will do some for the next few hundreds miles since I remember reading from somewhere that it takes about 800 miles for the pads to fully break-in.

So far so good. The difference I've felt so far is that the travel when i step on the brake pedal is less than before... but that's obvious because the stock pads only had 20% left on them haha.

If anything i shall update you guys. thanks for the help again.
if you're sticking with stock rotors the break in period is about 100-300 miles, it's when you change both rotors and pads that you should watch it for 500+

also, the travel should have been unaffected, the only thing that fixes that is a fluid change. the piston takes up the difference when your pads are down...