Bought Bowling Ball Trim Kit From Tim

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Bought Bowling Ball Trim Kit From Tim

I recently bought and installed the bowling ball trim kit from Tim. There are a couple of good news stories out of this.

1. The kit is good quality stuff (3M). There are 24 pieces to it so it covers almost everything except the area around the instrument cluster. Everything needed to install the kit comes with it except for a heat gun or hair dryer. You need to heat the parts to make them flexible so they install easier. When they stick, they are stuck!! You need to get it right the first time so fitting the parts first is essential.

2. Tim's customer service is great. He didn't have this kit in stock so he had it dropped shipped from the manufacturer. They shipped the wrong item. They shipped the regular wood trim instead of black. When I e-mailed Tim about it that day, he immediately shipped out the correct one by air express. He paid all the shipping for that one and a few bucks for my trouble. I thought that was great of him.
Old 10-31-2001, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Bought Bowling Ball Trim Kit From Tim

Originally posted by OldGuy
I recently bought and installed the bowling ball trim kit from Tim. There are a couple of good news stories out of this.

1. The kit is good quality stuff (3M). There are 24 pieces to it so it covers almost everything except the area around the instrument cluster. Everything needed to install the kit comes with it except for a heat gun or hair dryer. You need to heat the parts to make them flexible so they install easier. When they stick, they are stuck!! You need to get it right the first time so fitting the parts first is essential.

2. Tim's customer service is great. He didn't have this kit in stock so he had it dropped shipped from the manufacturer. They shipped the wrong item. They shipped the regular wood trim instead of black. When I e-mailed Tim about it that day, he immediately shipped out the correct one by air express. He paid all the shipping for that one and a few bucks for my trouble. I thought that was great of him.
Yup, Tim does have a very high standard of customer service. And I know from experience his patience is just as high. Tim and I went through some fun with UPS a while back!! And he never lost his cool.

Tim....who's better than you? Nobody!!!!

And the wood kit, if Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing makes it. Again, who's better than them?
Old 10-31-2001, 05:42 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Tim is the BEST!!!
Old 10-31-2001, 06:12 PM
Instructor

got that same kit too and it does match pretty well. i guess unless there's strong sunlight shining on it, you wouldn't be able to tell the oem stuff from the other stuff. actually, one of my buds could barely tell the difference, but he couldn't decide which one was actually the oem stuff and which was aftermarket.

i didn't install all the peices. i only installed the center console ones, around the shifter and the door pieices and cupholder/storage ones in the rear.

i had the oem gauge one, so thought the left vent and navi/radio would look too overkill. i also had the oem a/c vent ones, so didn't use the vent ones in the kit.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Does the OEM guage trim cover the whole cluster? The trim kit from Tim covers the outside edges. Would that overlap with the OEM guage kit?
Old 10-31-2001, 06:32 PM
Instructor

the oem cluster covers just around the gauges...the trim kit (navi side and driver left vent side) continue almost exactly where the oem one ends, but the edges dont' look continuous (which is another reason i didnt' use those pieces).
Old 10-31-2001, 08:11 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally posted by dean078
got that same kit too and it does match pretty well. i guess unless there's strong sunlight shining on it, you wouldn't be able to tell the oem stuff from the other stuff. actually, one of my buds could barely tell the difference, but he couldn't decide which one was actually the oem stuff and which was aftermarket.

i didn't install all the peices. i only installed the center console ones, around the shifter and the door pieices and cupholder/storage ones in the rear.

i had the oem gauge one, so thought the left vent and navi/radio would look too overkill. i also had the oem a/c vent ones, so didn't use the vent ones in the kit.
That's EXACTLY how I did mine!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:01 AM
jbn
Instructor

That looks sharpe!! May i'll get that done too. How hard is to put that stuff on? all you need is a hairdryer?
Old 11-01-2001, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

How many pieces do you have left, that looks about what I would install?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by jbn
That looks sharpe!! May i'll get that done too. How hard is to put that stuff on? all you need is a hairdryer?
It is very simple to install. One thing I screwed up on and I had to redo the whole thing was I didn't peel off the red 3M tape. It actually stuck on pretty well with the tape on. You must heat the pieces in order to peel the tape off.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Yea, the backing paper is pretty sticky too. It makes for good pre-fitting. That was the longest part of the job for me; getting the sticky paper off each piece. It isn't that it is too sticky. It is just hard to get it started. My wife helped with her long nails. She became "Mrs Sticky paper remover".