body paint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 02:27 AM
00' WDP BABY!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body paint?

im wondering... i just ordered the OEM kit from somebody and its in a different color... i called around local body shops and maaco also and they said that pearl colors are usually more expensive? they say that it has to be triple coated or somethin... i dunno i wasnt really paying attention but he said something like that... does painting just the body kit cost around $600? thats what the maaco guy told me... and i didnt know it was that expensive. btw i have a 00' WDP... how much did it cost you guys to have your kit painted?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
first off STAY away from maco. find a smaller body shop that is reputable that will and can do th ework. 2ndly most base clear systems (which is every thing now days) color wise ae the same price.
2 and 3 coat systems will cost more just due to the extra step. its going to ba ALL labor. the materials for the body kit (paint) shouldnt cost more than 80-100 bucks. shop around and see.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Racer

I had just a front lip painted by a good body shop when i owned my 96 accord and i paid 105 for them to paint it, not including instillation. Maaco isnt all that bad if u prep the car right and get there top of the line service. i had a car painted s2000 sazuka blue and it came out pretty good. The maaco in CT told me a lip kit would be $250 to paint . They paint whole cars for like $600 so that quote they gave u was crap.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:46 AM
00' WDP BABY!!!

yea thanks for the advice but the thing is, the local body shops around here arent very reputable and most are collosion shops which do paint for damaged cars. i called around and they all told me that they would cost way more than maaco cus they dont usually do it just for doing it. i dunno their quotes came to about the same as maaco. stupid arizona
Old 10-30-2004, 03:03 PM
00' WDP BABY!!!

so do i still ask them to paint white diamond pearl or just white? i dunno whatever is cheaper that you guys used.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No white would look all wrong, a color mis-match. Your color is actually rather special in the world of paint. First, they must paint it regular white. Then they spray on the mid coat, which is a translucent coat containing some yellowish ( or gold) color and the metallic flakes----but with pearl paint jobs flakes aren't used, they use flakes that are sperical instead. Why? This gives the greater illusion of depth. As light passes thru the mid coat it reflects off the base white coat and comes back thru "bouncing" off all those colorful spheres. The light scatters, and that is why they look so brilliant on a bright sunny day. Look closely and you will see many colors in there. Lastly the third coat is sprayed on, the clear coat. It is paint without pigment, a protective shiny coat.
Hope that helps!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:24 AM
00' WDP BABY!!!

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
I had just a front lip painted by a good body shop when i owned my 96 accord and i paid 105 for them to paint it, not including instillation. Maaco isnt all that bad if u prep the car right and get there top of the line service. i had a car painted s2000 sazuka blue and it came out pretty good. The maaco in CT told me a lip kit would be $250 to paint . They paint whole cars for like $600 so that quote they gave u was crap.
then how is everybody that posted before is getting it cheaper?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:25 AM
00' WDP BABY!!!

[QUOTE=AcuraTl203]

then how is everybody that posted before is getting it cheaper?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:27 AM
00' WDP BABY!!!

[QUOTE]first off STAY away from maco. find a smaller body shop that is reputable that will and can do th ework. 2ndly most base clear systems (which is every thing now days) color wise ae the same price.
2 and 3 coat systems will cost more just due to the extra step. its going to ba ALL labor. the materials for the body kit (paint) shouldnt cost more than 80-100 bucks. shop around and see.

from what u guys said, how are you guys getting it cheaper? is there something special u guys ask for or? im not sure but i sure as hell dont wanna pay $600 jus to paint the kit...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Find someone who will do a side job for you, you know, a painter who works for someone during the week but will paint for extra cash on the weekends.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:24 AM
Advanced

I plead with you... for all that is good and decent in this world... stay AWAY from Maaco. I speak from experience... very, very bad experience. You'd be better off buying spray paint at Wal-Mart and spraying the thing. I've never had such a bad experience as my Maaco experience... (and no, it was not with my Acura!!)
Old 10-31-2004, 11:38 PM
00' WDP BABY!!!

lol thanks for the advice. but the thing is, all the body shops in arizona says that they are expensive, they tell me straight out and they tell me to go call a different place and so i do, and same thing over and over again. made like 100 callls and they all told me the same thing. call somewhere else or go to maaco. this is getting hopeless for me. i dunno what to do or where to take it and i dont want to pay more to paint it than what i paid for the kit. hope u guys know what im talking about!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2000 is white diamond pearl and that paint is expensive as hell...trust me. It's the worst color to get for that car. Like the previous poster said, its a tri-coat paint. I had looked into getting my front bumper cover re-done b/c whoever painted it before did a sloppy ass job. I was going to have them blend it w/ the front and the fenders so it would all match and they wanted like $1400 for all that because they were going to paint the hood. I said forget it. Not only that, your plastic bumper cover, door handle trim, and door rub guards will appear whiter than the rest of the car with age. This is due to fading but mostly because that paint sets differently on plastic than on metal and the appearance is slightly off...nothing you can do with it. I wish I'd have waited and gotten a black TL like I originally wanted...the next one will be.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Racer

I had a body shop that does all custom work paint and install my complete Wings West kit for $225. Montery Blue
Old 11-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
My 2000 is white diamond pearl and that paint is expensive as hell...trust me. It's the worst color to get for that car. Like the previous poster said, its a tri-coat paint. I had looked into getting my front bumper cover re-done b/c whoever painted it before did a sloppy ass job. I was going to have them blend it w/ the front and the fenders so it would all match and they wanted like $1400 for all that because they were going to paint the hood. I said forget it. Not only that, your plastic bumper cover, door handle trim, and door rub guards will appear whiter than the rest of the car with age. This is due to fading but mostly because that paint sets differently on plastic than on metal and the appearance is slightly off...nothing you can do with it. I wish I'd have waited and gotten a black TL like I originally wanted...the next one will be.
the color isnt expensive its the labor. i could go out right now and get the paint it self (enough to do the ground effects) for less than a 100 bucks.thats all the color, the reducer, clear, hardner.
drive to acouple body shops and ask. stay away from macos.