BMW 325i or TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BMW 325i or TL?

I know I'll get biased opinions here, but i'm currently considering these two cars, powerwise the 330i would more be the competition for the tl, but pricewise the 325 is closer..

did any of you consider the 325 (323 a year ago)? test drive one? If you did, was the power difference as great as the 225 vs 184 seems on paper? what made you choose the tl? the tl is a better value, i know, but i really don't like the styling especially the 2002's that i would be getting.. thanks for your opinions.

------------------
Si
Old 02-20-2001, 11:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Power difference negligable given that the 325 is a lighter car. The back seat was too small for business, though - that's why I passed.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 02-20-2001, 11:40 PM
Instructor

actually the 323 made 170 hp back then.. i know the 323 stick did 0-60 in about 7.1 seconds, and the auto in about 8 seconds, so with 14 more hp this year, i guess it would be in the high 7's... doesn't the tl run 0-60 in about 7.1~7.2 seconds?
Old 02-20-2001, 11:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I would love a BMW 330i, but like you said, for the money, get the High Performance TL Type S, best deal in this class.

The BMW is just too small. I found this to be the same for the Lexus IS300. Gomez brings up a good point, tough to fit friends or business clients in the back seat, very cramped. Even the current TL is kind of tight. NEED MORE SPACE

But there is something very cool about owning a BMW! LOL!
Old 02-20-2001, 11:45 PM
Instructor

oh yeah, i forgot the bimmer weighs less, i was actually surprised at how much the tl weighs!! something like mid-3000's..

------------------
Matt
2000 Civic Si
So Cal
Old 02-20-2001, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

I love BMWs and used to own a 325. But I see sooo many that I wanted something new and different. I loved the luxurious interior of the TL much better than the plain interior of the BMW. Those are my reasons.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:57 PM
Instructor

believe it or not, around here i see just as many tl's as accords (current gen).. (no kidding!) but it's all good that just means it's a really good car to be so popular..
Old 02-21-2001, 12:08 AM

Our choice last June came down to 323i vs TL. We actually preferred the 323 on the drive ... smoother, seemed a bit more solid, and let's face it, it's a BMW ... but two things did it in: 1) It's absurd to spend $30K on a car with VINYL SEATS; and 2) we hated hated hated the dealers, all of whom treated us like we were not worthy of BMW ownership. Decided we were paying too damn much money to endure that kind of attitude, and bought the TL. Mind you, we love the TL, and it IS a better value ... and we found it was a little easier to work a deal on it. Just my 0.02.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Oh yeah, that's another thing! You have to pay $500 to get HIDs on a BMW and another $2000 plus to get the leather package...what a rip. And then there's the luxury tax for cars over $36k.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Cool

The only reason why I chose the TL, is because it is built better than the BMW 3series... Bimmers 3-series doesnt have good leather quality, no chrome handles, and plus they go out of style to quickly... I dont know about you but look at 92 legends, them hoes are still tight huh? On the other hand, look at a 92 325, nasty huh? Get my point? Go for the TL newbie !!!

Shyne--Helping others in need 24-7 at tha 7-11 ...
Old 02-21-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro

Originally posted by mgs333:
I know I'll get biased opinions here, but i'm currently considering these two cars, powerwise the 330i would more be the competition for the tl, but pricewise the 325 is closer..

did any of you consider the 325 (323 a year ago)? test drive one? If you did, was the power difference as great as the 225 vs 184 seems on paper? what made you choose the tl? the tl is a better value, i know, but i really don't like the styling especially the 2002's that i would be getting.. thanks for your opinions.

It depends , actually I would say that the beemer is more fun to drive. But yet it's too small , and cost at least 37k to get the whole options , with tax.

Well , most of the time I chose the TL because of the value. A half-full beemer was my other consideration , but that car is only fun to drive and since I drive mostly in the city , I chose the TL.

I assume you are getting a beemer loaded with options that's going to have the same price with the TL.

So , If you prefer to drive go get the beemer , speed might not be better than TL but handling and the power up is just wow!
If you prefer the luxury and comfort with good performance go get the TL.

But TL-S VS 325 is no contest , TL-S all the way , TL-S VS 330i , same driving-oriented go for 330i , lux oriented go for TL-S

As the beemer's slogan says "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

No offense to other TL fans , but it's merely my humble opinion.

------------------
2000 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
Mugen Front Grille
Mugen Front Half Spoiler
Factory Kit coming up sometime in the future..
Old 02-21-2001, 12:36 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Shyne:
The only reason why I chose the TL, is because it is built better than the BMW 3series... Bimmers 3-series doesnt have good leather quality, no chrome handles, and plus they go out of style to quickly... I dont know about you but look at 92 legends, them hoes are still tight huh? On the other hand, look at a 92 325, nasty huh? Get my point? Go for the TL newbie !!!

Shyne--Helping others in need 24-7 at tha 7-11 ...
Hmm....if I recall correctly Hondas & Acuras redesign every 4 years , BMW redesign every 7 years.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

325 is half a$$ed. Anyone who wants a 3 series, but won't go for the top of the line is a poser. Just wants the BMW name. TLs are better all around. handling can be matched with some nice mods. The only thing that could be justified is maybe the looks, but I don't think any bimmer looks nicer than my baby. I also second that BMW dealers are butthooles. They think they are kings of the world instead of slimy salesmen.

get the TL if you're smart (not to mention the maintainance costs later). Get the bimmer if you wanna be cool like everyone else.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 02-21-2001, 01:44 AM

Too many problems with 325 - go with a TL...
Old 02-21-2001, 01:54 AM

TL can be compared with a 530/525 because of the amount of room it has inside. (I think) BMW Charges a lot of money for options. Come on, CD is an option, like anyone uses tapes anymore.

(BMW 330Ci was what i wanted, but check the insurance prices, you will be suprised by the high rates. Actually a 323i costs more to insure than a 328i in california (based on info from Gieco, December 2000)) You will save on insurance if you go with the TL.
Old 02-21-2001, 03:11 AM
Burning Brakes

The way I see it, the TL is a no compromises car. There are no options, ergo, no compromises.... They put it all in.... And in my opinion, anything over 25k should have everything, so the BMW is basically a compromises car... You compromise the leather to make it somewhat affordable. If the 330CI came fully loaded at 30kish, then they'd be talking, but I think the going rate is above 40k fully loaded, and that's rediculous. You make no compromises when you buy the TL. Plus the way I look at it, the BMW's are atleast 10 years old. My friend had a 325E that was somewhere close to a '90 it seemed, and they're very very close to what I see today. Now the 540's are a little different, but they've really never changed their styling much at all, so don't talk about the lack of changes to Acura/Honda cars.
Old 02-21-2001, 04:39 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, I know that by saying the following, I might be banned from this forum FOREVER! But this is my honest opinions and true story.

The 325 wasn't out yet while I was in the market of a new car. The 330 was however.
I bought the TL, and I wish I have got the BMW every day and night after that!!! Seriously... I am not saying that the TL is not a good car. If fact it is. But here are the reasons why I wanted the BMW

1. My TL is a F@CKING lemon, period! I have all the problem that an TL owner can have suffer from. There's the problem with the ECU computer, so you get the engine check light on all the time. The TCS will fail to work if you got the ECU computer problem. Not on every car, but I know three 2000 TL owner and they all got that!!! The 99 TL guy was fine thought. Of course I got noise from the seat, moonroof, and the window seals.

2. My dealer treats me like $hit!!! I been to two dealers in Toronto, and they are all the same!! Damn... My friends got better service in BMW. btw my IS300 friend don't like the Lexus dealers...

3. I got no knee room on my car. That's for the driver. I am 5"10" and I only found this out after I got my car for a while. Damn I can't really find a comfortable seating position. Maybe Asian got shorter legs, and that's why they didn't thought about the problem. (I am an Asian 2, so don't flame me on this one, okay? please...)

4. The BMW is WAY MORE FUN to drive. We have bad weather up here. So the TL is a better car in winter, but you are in So. Cal. So you should be fine.

5. The brake on the TL SUCKS!!! This one can really kill you!!! So are those stock tires.

So, when you think that the TL is a good value, I will say that it compromised somehow.

I don't need to seat more than 2 people very often. I got the TL for some other reasons such as insurance... The rear seat on the BMW can be fold down, so you can still carry some large item.

I have lots friend that drives a Bimmer, I havn't heard anything bad from them except that the car is REALLY dangerous in winter. 3 out of 4 crashed their car. But they were either going too fast, or didn't have snow tires on, or simply got drunk... It is very safe... that I am comfident to say.

Oh... one thing I don't like about the Bimmer is their Steptronic system. I won't say it's good or bad. but it's different from Acura's SS. If you get the 5 speed, there won't be too much a of difference in terms of power.

I mean it's really up to you. They are different cars. You bet I would get the 323i 5 speed after having the TL for 7 months. The 325 even got 14 more ponies I think...

Anywayz my post is getting way too long and boring... Let me know if you got any questions. I know some E36 & E46 owners... But if you can live with a smaller car and perhaps get the 5 speed. BMW all da way!!!

Sorry to all other members... Honestly I really hope that we can have one more TL owners here, but after what I have suffer with the TL, and see way too many happy BMW owners... I just wanted to give my $0.02

Sorry for bashing the TL... I really am....
Old 02-21-2001, 04:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

It really depends what u like,if u want stick
go for bimmer,last year i was pick either 1 in 323CI or TL.Also after 3rd gear u will know 170 almost = 225 hp.i don't think BMW have more problems than our TL.out there still have ppls pick a 323i over TL.just want to say BWM is not that bad.i used to drive a 93 325i,more fun,better brake,Go out & test drive both u will find which 1 u like.
No offense to other TL owner!!!

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Comptect springs
Old 02-21-2001, 08:13 AM
Instructor

IMHO, BMW's are fine cars, but you're paying for the name. Yea, they handle better, but I didn't think their ride was as smooth as the TL. I am not ripping through the curves and streets anymore, so the TL works just fine for me. Dollar wise, I think the TL is still a better value.

And the BMW dealers were stuck up. We just don't let anybody test drive our cars.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:44 AM
Pro

Originally posted by 2000 TL:
IMHO, BMW's are fine cars, but you're paying for the name. Yea, they handle better, but I didn't think their ride was as smooth as the TL. I am not ripping through the curves and streets anymore, so the TL works just fine for me. Dollar wise, I think the TL is still a better value.

And the BMW dealers were stuck up. We just don't let anybody test drive our cars.
"BMW's Handle better", is a pretty generic term I would think.

More accurate would be to say that, RWD BMW's handle better in bone-dry weather, while cars like the 3.2TL handles better (than the RWD BMW) in "anything other than bone-dry" conditions.....of course this argument does not hold water, if you go for the AWD BMW 3-series....just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 02-21-2001, 12:15 PM
Drifting

325i is a great car, but it's too small, and if you want auto, it's not that fast. so, I'd still say TL

------------------
2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums
Old 02-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Both are fine cars. If you want an auto then go with the TL. But if you want an manual then go with a BMW. Area Weather also play a row in selecting a car. Dry roads go with BMW. Snow then go with TL.
Old 02-21-2001, 02:35 PM
slickTL17

Ok 3 series is bmw's cheapest car.
acura's cheapest car is RSX...
so you rather drive cheapest bmw? or an accura that's as big and comfortable as 5 series. your call.
Old 02-21-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro

Wink

A couple of months ago I was convinced that I was going to buy either a 325, or a stripped down 330. I always wanted a BMW. After the test drive I wasn't that thrilled, and after tallying up the options, the 325 was about 33.5K without leather. Somehow I ended up test driving a TL, although I did not like it initially. Since then I'm 99% sure I'm getting a TL.
PROS of TL vs. 325:
price
luxury
225 hp
all options standard (except nav)
roomy
drives smooooth
low key

CONS:
Exterior not nearly as stylish
name brand not as good

The only thing that disturbs me is other people's opinions (which shouldn't matter anyway, I know) Out of ALL of my friends and family only 2-3 agree w/me to get the TL, EVERYONE else thinks I'm nuts to buy a tl over a BMW.
Ultimately though I'm the one who's going to be driving it every day, not them.

Another thing to consider is what type of car you are looking for. A 325 is a much sportier car. Handles better, drives tighter, and is more fun to drive. I don't really care about that since I'm keeping my sports car for those reasons. So, if you value sportiness over luxury and name brand over value you should consider the 325 or an IS 300.
good luck.

------------------
- Nick, shopping for an 01 or 02, w/ or w/out nav

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Turboara on February 21, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-21-2001, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did look at a BMW 328i sedan but the price for it with all the goodies way to much.
Also its way to small I needed a bigger car.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 02-21-2001, 04:09 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL man!!!!
Old 02-21-2001, 04:25 PM
Acuras Only in

You can't go wrong with either if pricing isn't a issue : when you compare TL to comparable BMW models in terms of price, TL has a lot more to offer than the BMW. Once you add up all the options to a base BMW to the TL level, you probably need to shell out an additional 7k. Who needs that unless you are buying the name plate rather than performance !?
Old 02-21-2001, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
To SL1200MK4, sorry you have so many problems with your TL. Now you should learn how to properly type up your posts, so its not annoying to read. Perhaps you should trade in your TL for a BMW. Personally, as a big guy, I tried to sit in a 2000 BMW 325i and it is so small, I was cramped. Brutal. The TL while not perfect, is much roomier, and for the price is the hands down winner.
Old 02-21-2001, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Greetings. BMWs are great cars, and so are Acuras. BMWs are built like tanks and Acuras are very well built and extremely reliable. However, the maintenance costs for BMWs are extemely high, and BMWs must be maintained or you will suffer the consequences.

BMWs are very solid and cars at very high speeds, based on the expertise of the driver. I grew up in Germany, learned to drive in Germany on the autobahn, and lived over there for a few years after I graduated from college. I can tell you from personal experiences (in driving a BMW 3 series, Mercedes E320, and Honda Prelude) that the BMW and Mercedes handle extremely well and are solid as a rock when driving 100 MPH + for extended periods of time. However, we live in the USA, where we have speed limits (except for Montona), and one cannot utilize or fully appreciate the additional qualities of a BMW or Mercedes.

I have a 2002 TL-S on order, and am extremely confident that it is superior to the BMW 3 series overall, not just in value. I've thoroughly reviewed which features/options I want in my car, and taken into consideration the maintenance and insurance costs. I'm sure if you were to include the all of the options on the BMW 3 series plus Navi and factor in insurance, you will quickly come to a financial decision. Then, I'm sure after you test drive both the BMW 3 series and Acura TL (or TL-S) at the speeds and your normal driving habits that you will be most likely be driving everyday (and possibly with passengers), you will also come to a quick decision. Also, it's very difficult to compare a fully loaded new Acura TL to a BMW 325i, as the BMW probably at least 3 years old, without the same options, and without the possibilities of getting those same options.

Again, both BMW and Acura (Honda) make great automobiles, and you can't really go wrong with either of them. However, you must compare "apples to apples."
Old 02-21-2001, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Turboara:
A couple of months ago I was convinced that I was going to buy either a 325, or a stripped down 330. I always wanted a BMW. After the test drive I wasn't that thrilled, and after tallying up the options, the 325 was about 33.5K without leather. Somehow I ended up test driving a TL, although I did not like it initially. Since then I'm 99% sure I'm getting a TL.
PROS of TL vs. 325:
price
luxury
225 hp
all options standard (except nav)
roomy
drives smooooth
low key

CONS:
Exterior not nearly as stylish
name brand not as good

The only thing that disturbs me is other people's opinions (which shouldn't matter anyway, I know) Out of ALL of my friends and family only 2-3 agree w/me to get the TL, EVERYONE else thinks I'm nuts to buy a tl over a BMW.
Ultimately though I'm the one who's going to be driving it every day, not them.

Another thing to consider is what type of car you are looking for. A 325 is a much sportier car. Handles better, drives tighter, and is more fun to drive. I don't really care about that since I'm keeping my sports car for those reasons. So, if you value sportiness over luxury and name brand over value you should consider the 325 or an IS 300.
good luck.

I beg to differ on your name brand not as good. I think Acura just doesn't have the herritage of BMW, but that doesn't make them any less..... The Acura has MUCH lower maintenance costs than the BMW, and after seeing friends with both go through the life of the car (buying new, driving for 5+ years) and the BMW friends seem to have had more problems, and more serious problems over time. Just experiences, not all are the same.... But I think Acura hasn't had the time to build the herritage, but what they do have, especially the Legend is very highly regarded.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:02 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to everyone if my post was long and hard to read. I was really sleepy while I typed it. Acutally I am in the market of a new car again. Now I must say that the build quality of the BMW 3-series isn't that good. If you look under the armrest. You will know what I mean. Even on the M3, it is like that.

In my case, I basically got a lemon TL, and now wants more FUN with my car. So that's why I said that I wish I've got the Bimmer instead. Don't get me wrong...

I am going to BMW driving school, and Audi autoX around April & May. This is when I will decide weather I will get the RWD Bimmer or the AWD Audi. So I guess I still have to spend sometime with my TL. Which is just fine. I test drove the Audi AllRoad today. That thing is a joke. The steering and the gas pedal are so light that you don't feel like the car is "talking" to you. The steering should be heavier for a car like this. You have drive it to believe. I feel that my TL's steering is 10 times more havier for a while after taking the AllRoad for a spin...