BLUETOP vs YELLOWTOP vs (redtop..:P)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007 | 05:17 PM
Wish

BLUETOP vs YELLOWTOP vs (redtop..:P)

well .. its mostly OPTIMA BLUETOP DEEP CYCLE vs YELLOWTOP deep cycle.... red top is outta the question because i need a battery that can power screens, audio for a good amount of time, as well as being able to start the car in very cold conditions...

i had a yellowtop before... gave it away with the previous car (because i was too lazy to take it out) .... now i can't seem to find any YELLOWTOPS ..

went down to the WALMART (here in canada) and suprisiingly... tyhey sell BLUETOPS and REDTOPS... WICKED!!

however, is the BLUETOP better then the YELLOWTOP?

they have both BLUETOP STARTER batteries and DEEP CYCLE ones... i know i need a DEEP CYCLE... (i chill a lot with the screens playing...)
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:27 PM
Advanced

Good question...Also, what is the best price you've all seen the Yellow go for?
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:29 PM

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...utomotive.html
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:33 PM
Wish

that doesn't help BLazinTL.... since they promote their products as "1 for starting, 1 for marine, 1 for performance audio' .. which is BS... since their Marine batteries are available for cars @ walmart... and i've been to that site enough times... i DID own a yellowtop which i got back then for 250$ CDN

my price range is 200-250$ for a new battery, because it need this to work its ass off 24/7... i'm puttin in webcams that will be running 24/7 so i need a good battery... also wifi will run 24/7 so i can beam songs and access the car data through OBD2 (centrafuse) ... when i need too..

neways back on topic.... BLUETOP OR YELLOWTOP? ... i don't care as long as the damn bluetop will do the job considering walmart doesn't sell YELLOWTOPS! GRRRRRRR.... and bluetops have about 750 CCA which is not bad.... and yellowtops are hard to find..
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:40 PM

how does the link not help? your asking if the bluetop is better than the yellow top. the site lists the benifits of each.
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:46 PM
Wish

no where in that site does it state if the bluetop is any better then the yellowtop for car use...

its all about marketing bro.. they will never put 1 product below another...

now.. i have the option to pick up a bluetop easily at walmart .. YEAH! but... i just want to know if the bluetop is just as good as teh yellowtop? ....

because walmart has both a STarter bluetop and a deep cycle bluetooth. the link doesn't state the differences.

Old 02-07-2007 | 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

A red top is better for starting, Especially in the cold. Are you trying to say that the redtop wont power your application?
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:53 PM
Wish

i'm gonna get a yellowtop... the wait is gonna suck but i think my mechanic can order it for me.... sigh...

bluetop specs are alrite.. this other website:

http://www.invertersrus.com/optimad31m.html

helpeda bit more on comparison... DAMN WALMARt, why can't they carry the best
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:56 PM
Wish

well Kris.. i need something that can start as well as have deep cycle capabilities.. which si exactly wat the YELLOWTOP does.... Reserve Capacity: 155
Cold Cranking Amps: 0°F 900
Capacity Ampere Hours @ 20 Hr Rate: 75

which is perfect.. i can watch like 2-3 movies in the car.. with the sound blastnig and it should start perfectly fine.... now redtop is outta teh question because its not deep cycle.... just good for starting i guess...

i wanted to compare the bluetop with the yellowtop since walmart doesn't carry the yellowtop but turns out that the bluetop is ALMOST as good as the yellowtop but teh yellowtop is the best.... (has best of both applications, starting and deep cycle) ... so i'm just gonna order that... i always like the best :P
Old 02-07-2007 | 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by t7n7
well Kris.. i need something that can start as well as have deep cycle capabilities.. which si exactly wat the YELLOWTOP does.... Reserve Capacity: 155
Cold Cranking Amps: 0°F 900
Capacity Ampere Hours @ 20 Hr Rate: 75

which is perfect.. i can watch like 2-3 movies in the car.. with the sound blastnig and it should start perfectly fine.... now redtop is outta teh question because its not deep cycle.... just good for starting i guess...

i wanted to compare the bluetop with the yellowtop since walmart doesn't carry the yellowtop but turns out that the bluetop is ALMOST as good as the yellowtop but teh yellowtop is the best.... (has best of both applications, starting and deep cycle) ... so i'm just gonna order that... i always like the best :P
i have had 2000 watt stereos and used the red top in the past no problem.
Currently i can play PS2 for a good 2 hrs no problem in the car with it off with out issue, or watch a few movies as well with out issue

The Blue is a marine application, and thats a whole different animal. It doesnt require alot of cca, but its designed to maintain a constant output for electronics like trolling motors, depth finders. (the blue beats the yellow big time in my buddies fishing boat, the battery lasts alot longer)
Old 02-07-2007 | 08:14 PM
Wish

well i think ur boat buddy probably has a higher end version of the blue because the yellowtop that FITS in the TL's original factory battery location is more powerful however, just so u know...

i am running a video amp, with 6 screens, a stereo, gonna be putting in massagers soon, a PS3 as well as another rear dvd system with a carputer as well.. that will be tolling on the battery 24/7 with a very low current... my alarm system is also crazy as well since its hooked up to a very loud horn...

either way.. from what ur telling me, maybe i mighjt just get the BLUETOP @ walmart if my buddy can't order the yellowtop by next week.
Old 02-07-2007 | 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont know what stats your looking at but i dont see where its more powerfull. Plus the red isnt that far off the yellow.

Oh and he has the 31m if i remember correctly (its larger than the standard)

Old 02-07-2007 | 09:07 PM
Wish

i'm going to walmart tomorrow to get it. enough said

man thats not the stats i read but oh well.. urs seem more valid

BLUETOP D34M, HERE I COMEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it betta fit in my TL

the damn ps3 drains a lot of power.. i know that.. so hopefully this will do the job... i just need to put in a shock protector so the hdd doesn't mess up.
Old 02-07-2007 | 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Should fit. its got the same measurements.
Old 02-07-2007 | 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Why dont you go for the Troll Furry Kit (dual batteries)
Old 02-07-2007 | 09:38 PM
Wish

well its kickass if i was puttin it in the trunk but this is purely for the factory location, which i dont' think i can stuff 2 batteries in hehe...

i like to keep the trunk as free as possible.. thats y my sub is currently removed... i'm plannin on integrating it into the sides so i can have trunk room.. y? .. so i can do my groceries of course hehe.. which i also have to install some bag handles.... (only 1, and its too damn low, on teh left side) ..

plus most of the time when i pick up pizza or any type of food, i keep it in the trunk so the car doesn't smell....
Old 02-08-2007 | 03:20 PM
Drifting

I had two batteries in my car, the Yellow top and red top...red was in the trunk to power the air susp. pumps and yellow for my stereo and monitors...I had 6 monitors in the car, including 1 15," all the screens are amplified. My stereo also is prety powerful, I have twp amps, one for the sub and one for the speakers,,,that being said, I never had a problem with either of them. The red top will work fine...video screens have very little draw. I recently replaced the YT under the hood with a stinger spv35, and now run my stereo off the rear battery...still no issues, everything is cherry..
Old 02-08-2007 | 03:35 PM
Wish

well red top is not deep cycle so its useless if u want to run all ur screens and accessories for a logn period.. i'm talking abotu 4-5 hours sometimes... PLUS ... i have a car comp which drains power from the battery 24/7.. so a deep cycle is neccessary.. as for the yellowtop.. i know it does the job but kris has made it clear that the Bluetop can do the job just as well so i'm getting that... i went to get it today but they dont' have the "warranty tags in" whatever that means.. i asked and they just said "without the warranty tags, they are not allowed to sell the batteries" ... bs.. now i gotta wait.. or go to another walmart.. sigh..

just so u guys know.. my carcomp is always on STANDBY... therefore, it starts up INSTANTLY as soon as i press the Engine start button.... (faster then the stock cd player can read a cd and play a track)

if i hibernate it each time.. its about 20-25 seconds which SUCKS.... so ya.. thats y it puts a toll on the battery 24/7... now though standby draws very lil power.. and sometimes it might just sit inside teh garage for days...

there should be a carmeet soon here in toronto so 'll be sure to take videos / pics of the operation.
Old 02-09-2007 | 01:29 PM
SLOW TL

From my knowledge of the blue top...it's marine deep cycle battery aka meant for boats... I had a Yellow Top on my Civic back in the day and was an extremely good battery that took lots of abuse...
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:21 PM
Wish

Bluetop Installed!

Ok so i installed the bluetop... got it at walmart for about 255$ CDN after taxes.. its the dual purpose starter/deep cycle.. with the same stats as the yellowtop.... (the guy @ walmart was tellin me that its for aboat and its expensive..., i was like.. i know wat i'm doing... lol)

so far so good. lots of abuse already and its only been 2 hours since i got it installed...

Now i can finally start my mini projects that need the power from a good battery.. eeee

BLUETOP <- u guys won't be disappointed .. left the hids on while having the door opened, played the music with al screens running... while doing my fog mod/DRL disable mod and the battery started the car without any trouble after a good 30 minutes.... GOOD STUFF!
Old 02-10-2007 | 03:06 AM
Drifting

^^^a red top will do that just fine too..
Old 02-10-2007 | 09:33 AM
@ slide or die @

...new advance auto parts silver batery would too but hey, it never hurts to overkill it if you work hard enough for it. i woulve overkilled it somewhere else though. tis an expensive battery!! what's the warranty on it?
Old 02-10-2007 | 01:29 PM
Wish

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
^^^a red top will do that just fine too..

ahhh no it won't because REDTOPS are not Deepcycle.... just because u guys run ur stuff on a redtop for a while and the car starts.. u guys all assume that the redtop does the job.. if it did.. i wouldn't have bought a bluetop...

try running that same sound system and all ur screens on a redtop for about 8 hours in -15 CELSIUS weather..

plus i clearly mentioned that my car drains the battery 24/7 because of the computer / webcams.
Old 02-10-2007 | 01:30 PM
Wish

Originally Posted by etxxz
...new advance auto parts silver batery would too but hey, it never hurts to overkill it if you work hard enough for it. i woulve overkilled it somewhere else though. tis an expensive battery!! what's the warranty on it?
my bluetop has 3 years..... not bad. considering i'll probably be driving something else by then..
Old 02-11-2007 | 08:03 AM
Intermediate

not to throw a monkey wnech in things...but have you thought about a "Kenetic" or an additional "BatCap" rather than "Optima"?
Old 02-11-2007 | 01:21 PM
Drifting

^^^^Kinetic batteries are awesome too, but they arent as known as optima. As for running your stereo for 8 hours with your stereo on, I am positive you can not do that with an optima. Unless you have a small stereo and keep the volume low...
Old 02-11-2007 | 03:18 PM
Wish

well my friend... 2 rf t2's 12" ....runnin approx 2000watts rms, with 5 outta 6 screens ran for about 5 hours... not at FULL volume of course... but at movie watching volume....

and yes if i did have a seperate optima yellowtop with the D31M or the BLUETOP 31M, i could've done 8 hours.. i was just afraid so i startd up the car after 5 hours in which it didn't even hesitate to do.. really depends...

DeepCycle is designed for this sorta thing.. since its used in boats.. for Televisions, radios and all sorts of other things.. and i'm sure ppl dont' start their often....

neways.. good thread.. got wat i need.. working great so far... saving a lot of gas too eheh since i havent' been starting the car as often.... as someone pointed out.. i think its my sterio and cabin lights (the doors are open so the door lights as well as the dome light is on the entire time, i wish there wa a way to turn off the door (bottom) lights when the door is open)
Old 02-12-2007 | 12:19 PM
Instructor

red top, blue top, green top, WHO GIVES A SHIT.
Old 02-12-2007 | 02:49 PM
Wish

Originally Posted by CHEWKNOW
red top, blue top, green top, WHO GIVES A SHIT.
lol...TLP, TLS, HEADERs, INTAKE... WHO GIVES A SHIT!
Old 02-13-2007 | 11:50 AM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

the batterys all depends on what you are going to use them for. i use to sell the stinger batteries back in the day. by far one of the best batterys to buy. fully dry sell and you can actually ship it by air but its more expensive.

optimas are awsome batterys. im running the red top but i dont have a audio system. as for the deep cycle/dry cell type batteries is perfect for running systems that need the reserve and you plan on draining the battery dead all the time. the deep cycle system is basically a drain and fill type of ordeal. if you kill the battery you can recharge it back to full charge like a new battery. other types of batterys will just continue to drain and not hold the charge if it keeps getting killed.

the marine is a good battery. i remember we did a full install in a customers car running 4 12" holly wood excursions, 2 10" emence for mid range, 2 sets hollywood 6x9s, three sets of MB quart separates, two 1000d crossfire amps, one 404 crossfire amp for mids, 1 40 band crossfire parametric eq/crossover, a jvc cd changer, jvc headunit, and 3 stinger 1 farad caps with a red top for the front and two blue tops in the back seat. all in a 91 4dr accord. man that thing BUMPed the crap out of our bay. sucker was LOUD. but yeah the blue tops handled pretty well. so it all depends on what your purpose is for the battery.

if you are not going to use the deep cycle function like t7n7 is its not worth the extra money. you will not benefit from deep cycle.

but glad to see it worked out for ya. the marine batteries are awsome the features are a llittle different as to compared to the yellow. since the yellow is basically a deep cycle for cars and the blue is for boats. i think the blue just has better seals and small things here and there that is different in the design. but both are great and can be used in both situations.

but if you can afford the stinger ones man they are the ones to get. you can keep that thing sitting for a long time and it will keep the charge.
Old 02-13-2007 | 01:07 PM
Kilos of yayo in

From what I understand Stinger batteries are rebadged odyssey batteries. So if you have a local odyssey dealer you can get them that way. Might be a bit cheaper then the stingers too.
Old 02-18-2007 | 05:40 PM
Wish

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kuni808
the batterys all depends on what you are going to use them for. i use to sell the stinger batteries back in the day. by far one of the best batterys to buy. fully dry sell and you can actually ship it by air but its more expensive.

optimas are awsome batterys. im running the red top but i dont have a audio system. as for the deep cycle/dry cell type batteries is perfect for running systems that need the reserve and you plan on draining the battery dead all the time. the deep cycle system is basically a drain and fill type of ordeal. if you kill the battery you can recharge it back to full charge like a new battery. other types of batterys will just continue to drain and not hold the charge if it keeps getting killed.

the marine is a good battery. i remember we did a full install in a customers car running 4 12" holly wood excursions, 2 10" emence for mid range, 2 sets hollywood 6x9s, three sets of MB quart separates, two 1000d crossfire amps, one 404 crossfire amp for mids, 1 40 band crossfire parametric eq/crossover, a jvc cd changer, jvc headunit, and 3 stinger 1 farad caps with a red top for the front and two blue tops in the back seat. all in a 91 4dr accord. man that thing BUMPed the crap out of our bay. sucker was LOUD. but yeah the blue tops handled pretty well. so it all depends on what your purpose is for the battery.

if you are not going to use the deep cycle function like t7n7 is its not worth the extra money. you will not benefit from deep cycle.

but glad to see it worked out for ya. the marine batteries are awsome the features are a llittle different as to compared to the yellow. since the yellow is basically a deep cycle for cars and the blue is for boats. i think the blue just has better seals and small things here and there that is different in the design. but both are great and can be used in both situations.

but if you can afford the stinger ones man they are the ones to get. you can keep that thing sitting for a long time and it will keep the charge.
great input! and ur right.. i think the yellow comes with a size fitter or something because i had to custom fit my blue since it wasn't the proper size... works great. nowadays i keep the headlights running, fogs running while i sit in teh car just for the fun of it because it starts up like a charm... hehe