Bleeding Brakes, Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding Brakes, Quick Question

well, if i decide to bleed my brakes, how far do you have to turn the nozzle on the caliper to open it, is it a quarter turn, half turn, and you would turn it in the direction of lefty loosy, righty tighty?
The other question is , i only need to bleed my front brakes, so do i also have to bleed the rear also or is that not necessary.

thanx in advance.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer your questions...

-Whichever way the little bleed bolt will turn, is the way in which the fluid can be let out. All you do is open that cap, and make sure to allow a lot of the fluid to escape. Then close the cap, and have someone in the car pumping the brake pedal. This will essentially build up pressure in the system and be pushing the old fluid out. Do this too all four brakes.

-And I believe you can only brake all of them since we only have one Master cylinder. If you empty a bit of the fluid, then none of the brakes will operate, and therefore they all have to be bled.

I'm hoping I provided the right info, can someone confirm?
Old 06-09-2004, 03:11 PM
2003 SSM TLS

Use caution here.
Yes, you should bleed all four wheels. Yes, the bleeder valves turn left to loosen. You should start at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. (right rear) then left rear, then right front, then left front last. If you don't have a bleed kit that will suck the fluid out, then you will need two people. One to open and close the bleeder valve and one to pump the brake pedal. Number 1 rule - never lift up on the brake pedal when the bleeder valve is open. This will allow air to be sucked into the bleeder valve which is exactly what you are attempting to prevent by bleeding your brakes.

The order should go like this: Have a wrench on the bleeder valve ready to open. Have the person in the car pump up the brakes and hold the pressure on the pedal, open the bleeder valve & let some fluid out, close the valve, pump up the brakes again, hold, open the valve. Keep repeating until you get clean new fluid out of the valve. Then go to the next wheel & repeat.

Be sure to check the fluid level in the master cylinder every few times or so, as it will drop as you bleed out the fluid at the bleeder valves. Have fun!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:53 PM
I got 99 Problems

Originally Posted by 69ssrscam
Use caution here.
Yes, you should bleed all four wheels. Yes, the bleeder valves turn left to loosen. You should start at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. (right rear) then left rear, then right front, then left front last. If you don't have a bleed kit that will suck the fluid out, then you will need two people. One to open and close the bleeder valve and one to pump the brake pedal. Number 1 rule - never lift up on the brake pedal when the bleeder valve is open. This will allow air to be sucked into the bleeder valve which is exactly what you are attempting to prevent by bleeding your brakes.

The order should go like this: Have a wrench on the bleeder valve ready to open. Have the person in the car pump up the brakes and hold the pressure on the pedal, open the bleeder valve & let some fluid out, close the valve, pump up the brakes again, hold, open the valve. Keep repeating until you get clean new fluid out of the valve. Then go to the next wheel & repeat.

Be sure to check the fluid level in the master cylinder every few times or so, as it will drop as you bleed out the fluid at the bleeder valves. Have fun!
when i did mine i forgot that do check the master cyl. but i noticed it before it became a prob.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Racer

well i do have a bleeding pump machine so i can use that, but my last question is , i need to take the cover off of the reservour in the engine bay while i do this right?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:07 AM

Before you start bleeding the system, try to suck out all but a couple of millimeters of old fluid from the resevoir. Use a turkey baster. You don't want to expose the ports on the bottom of the ports to air. Then refill the reservoir with new fluid. Make sure you keep the reservoir full throughout the bleeding process.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:58 AM
2003 SSM TLS

Originally Posted by fred3113
well i do have a bleeding pump machine so i can use that, but my last question is , i need to take the cover off of the reservour in the engine bay while i do this right?
Yes, you will need to remove the master cylinder lid. Careful not to pump the beake pedal to fast or it will cause brake fluid to spill out on the master cylinder. Kepp it full of new fluid while you are bleeding.