Blackfired over Zaino, no problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 08:23 PM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blackfired over Zaino, no problems.

Used DAWN and an aggressive wash to start with, and the DAWN wash process apparently removed much of the Zaino.

Whatever Zaino was left did not interfere with the application or bonding of Blackfire. Looks good, but I did not finish till dusk so I will need to see it in the light to know if I like the look better than Zaino or if it is simply equivelent.

It was more work to apply than Zaino, but maybe I overdid the rubbing! I think I need a porter cable if I am going to keep using this stuff.
Old 11-23-2001, 03:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you tell that the Zaino was removed? Is it just not as shiny like before or can you actually see the layers of Zaino?
Old 11-23-2001, 03:19 PM
Drifting

I kinda get the impression from Zaino's website that the Zaino stuff will get removed using Dawn.
Old 11-23-2001, 03:33 PM
jps
Racer

I was surprised the Zaino appeared to be effected by the DAWN. All I can say is the water was sheeting instead of beading and the normally slick Zaino surface feel was missing when I dried. The slight swirl marks that had been filled in with Z5 were also very visable post-wash.

I had Z1-Z5-Z2-Z5-Z2-Z2 on the vehicle. Last application was three weeks ago, with one wash with a standard car wash detergent in between. Following a wash with the standard car wash detergent there was no evidence of missing Zaino.

But this was an aggressive wash with a lot of rubbing, HOT water and several passes over all panels.

p.s. I do like the look, but then again I like Zaino too. Need more time to decide, but it looks like it will be Blackfire for the Winter from the sounds of the weather.

The look is similar to Zaino, but perhaps deeper color and less reflective. One benefit IMO is reduced static dust attraction.
Old 11-24-2001, 12:03 PM
jps
Racer

OK, I like!

I think the look of the color is very similar to what I acheived with Z5... only with less applications. I found Z5 darkened the color somewhat.

It is slightly less reflective than Zaino, but still shines beautifully. Looks good in all lighting conditions.

Not as much static dust attraction as Zaino....

Not as much static dust attraction as Zaino!!!!

The polish is very Zaino like, hard and smooth when dry. The paint protection is softer/oilier than Zaino and doesn't seem to harden like Z2 or Z5? I think Z2 and Z5 are easier to buff out. Actually, I found Zaino easier to apply as well (maybe I am just not used to all those little circular motions!)

Some will no doubt prefer Zaino or Klasse or ???, but this is an excellent product that meets my needs.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Cool Let Us Know

Be sure to let us know how long the "Blackfire" holds up. One month, two, etc etc

Also,,,what type of drying method do you use (it may effect how long the stuff stays on?). Cotton Towel, Asorber, Blow Dry, etc
Old 11-24-2001, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey jps, I thought Blackfire was REALLY EASY to apply and even easier to buff off. I only had trouble buffing it off when there was errant water from between panels/door handles etc go soaked into the towel when I was buffing off.

For me it was a quick wipe on, yes in circular motions , and then wipe off immediatly. The second I wiped it on it hazed. When I did applied it was high 60s and overcast. Oh yeah, did you buy the Blackfire Quick Detail Spray stuff? I haven't yet and I'm contemplating whether to or not. It would make life easier if I could just do that quick 5 minute detail after I wash instead of putting on another coat of All Finish Paint Protection...
Old 11-24-2001, 02:24 PM
jps
Racer

bioyuki - I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention when I ordered the new car kit, I assumed the spray was part of the package!

I ordered two bottles of it seperately. I think you could safely use Zaino Z6 or Meguir's Final Inspection as quick detailer also. The Meguir's does contain a trace of wax but it should wash off. I did that with Zaino and it was OK, but the Z6 better.

Maybe I made it more work to apply then needed. I did work it around alot more than Zaino. The first coat polish did come off very easily (I think it dies alot harder than the protectant). For the second coat, it could be I did not wait long enough for the protectant to dry/harden, or because it was barely 50 degrees here?

All in all, I am pleased. It is actually pretty easy to apply and it was the polish that I worked the hardest to apply (and thats a one time deal).
Old 11-24-2001, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update:

I just drove the Hacienda Heights and it started to rain. I thought oh ****, i just Blackfired two days ago. Lollandbehold when I got home there wasn't a drop of water on my car. The windows were still wet but wherever I Blackfired there was no waterspots or drops of water

Kick Ass!!!
Old 12-15-2001, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by bioyuki
Update:

I just drove the Hacienda Heights and it started to rain. I thought oh ****, i just Blackfired two days ago. Lollandbehold when I got home there wasn't a drop of water on my car. The windows were still wet but wherever I Blackfired there was no waterspots or drops of water

Kick Ass!!!

Wax your windows too, that's what I do. I wax EVERYTHING except the tires.