Old 01-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Housing

Is there a DIY for making ur headlights Black Housing. I have a 99 TL
Old 01-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i also have a 99TL and i always wondered how i was supposeed to black it out. its possible, but removing the actual headlamp is annoying to do.

alright so, after you get it removed (which means youre gonna have to drop the bumper and pull the whole piece out), put it in the oven. get it enough so that the glue in between the glass lens part and the actual housing starts to fall apart. pull it off, then the pieces inside are all seperate pieces. everything inside the housing can be taking piece by piece. just paint that chrome frame part (since thats the only part you could actually "black out" on a 99-01 TL). put the pieces all back together. actually while you have it open, might as well pop the ugly orange reflectors. you have to put the whole headlamp back in the oven for a good 15 minutes and when you take it back out, make sure the part where the glue is sticks with eachother before it dries and cools off again. put the headlamp back in and youre pretty much set.

the only thing is, it takes a while to do, and its a really annoying process. give yourself a day or two off and start this project. its gonna take that long.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Who Dis Is?

Here's a DIY for clearing and taking the headlights apart. This is a very accurate DIY so follow it closely if you do it alone. If I were you once I got it taken apart take the housing up to your local paint/body/collision shop and have them paint it professionaly instead of Dupli-color.

Headlight DIY
Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Racer

Black it out.. its looks good!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 AM
i

Originally Posted by aaronnn
i also have a 99TL and i always wondered how i was supposeed to black it out. its possible, but removing the actual headlamp is annoying to do.

alright so, after you get it removed (which means youre gonna have to drop the bumper and pull the whole piece out), put it in the oven. get it enough so that the glue in between the glass lens part and the actual housing starts to fall apart. pull it off, then the pieces inside are all seperate pieces. everything inside the housing can be taking piece by piece. just paint that chrome frame part (since thats the only part you could actually "black out" on a 99-01 TL). put the pieces all back together. actually while you have it open, might as well pop the ugly orange reflectors. you have to put the whole headlamp back in the oven for a good 15 minutes and when you take it back out, make sure the part where the glue is sticks with eachother before it dries and cools off again. put the headlamp back in and youre pretty much set.

the only thing is, it takes a while to do, and its a really annoying process. give yourself a day or two off and start this project. its gonna take that long.

well said. The really hard part is getting the headlight back together. I cleaned off the original honda bond with a heat gun and screw driver and then used silicone slealant, but i think heating up the casing in the oven for 15 min at 200 degrees wouldve melted the honda bond really good to reseal it with it, cuz that honda bond crap is stroonnnnnggg.

for removal, i found it was pretty easy jus to keep it in oven for 12 minutes at 200 degrees. Then jus follow the diy on abunchofcars.com or acurainspired.com
Old 01-12-2005, 01:38 AM
i

Originally Posted by Tunaboy
Here's a DIY for clearing and taking the headlights apart. This is a very accurate DIY so follow it closely if you do it alone. If I were you once I got it taken apart take the housing up to your local paint/body/collision shop and have them paint it professionaly instead of Dupli-color.

Headlight DIY
jus noticed ur thinkin of gettin 19's on ur cardomain page. If u want a bling show car look, go for it, but if ur gonna be racing it around an stuff, stay with the 18's. They look damn good already.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:27 AM
7th Gear

Not That Hard Do It For My Customers All The Time.let Me Know If You Need Help.