Bird dropping ruins paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Bird dropping ruins paint

I had bird $h!t on my hood for a while. I didn't notice it because the trees had covered my TL with a thick layer of pollen. When I went to wash it, it left a mark where it ate the clear coat. Does anyone know if anything can be done for that one smalll spot, or does the whole hood have to be painted?
Old 05-20-2001, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Polish and wax over the hood.... You can also go out and get the bug and tar remover..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator
'66 Mustang Fastback
'99 Mazda Miata
'99 Acura TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech Springs and Sways, CL Type S wheels wrapped with 225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000's, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, Gutter Guard Grille, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 05-20-2001, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do u have any pics of ur stang?
Old 05-20-2001, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Already tried polish and wax. Thanks I 'll try the bug and tar remover I ll post a pic in a little while.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:03 PM
Advanced

I had a similar experience.. Except it ate right through the paint down to the primer! I've got this ugly white patch on my hood now.
Old 05-20-2001, 04:29 PM
Pro

Bird presents are one of the most damaging "natural" disasters that attack our paint. (I have never seen a Yugo attacked by a bird, but just wait till your brand new pride and joy leaves the garage, they swoop in like someone rang the free birdseed bell.) I don't know what we are feeding the birds, but what comes out of the south end of a northbound bird is highly acidic. The longer we leave these psychedelic bird presents on our paint, the more damage they will cause. The acids tend to etch a microscopic pond shaped depression in the paint. Removal as soon as possible will help minimize the damage. Instead of carrying a hose and bucket in your car, carry a bottle of no salt seltzer water. No salt seltzer water is nothing more than water and carbon dioxide which will not harm your paint. When needed, take off the cap, place your thumb over the top, shake well and you have a fire hydrant that will wash the worst of the bird's thoughtful gift from your paint. Try to rub this area as little as possible. Birds use gravel to digest their food and grit is one of the major components of their presents. If you try and rub off the solids, you may scratch the paint. Once you have gotten home and had a chance to wash the area with car wash, rinsed thoroughly and dried, use a little Meguiar #34 or One Grand Show Off to help remove any leftover acids. When you have the time, give the area a coat of wax. If the acids have left a slight mark in the paint, see the article on cleaning your paint. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will usually remove all traces

Complete article at:
http://carcareonline.com/wash_car.html

Hope it helps!
Old 05-20-2001, 07:46 PM
Ain't No Other...

Originally posted by Darla:
Bird presents are one of the most damaging "natural" disasters that attack our paint. (I have never seen a Yugo attacked by a bird, but just wait till your brand new pride and joy leaves the garage, they swoop in like someone rang the free birdseed bell.) I don't know what we are feeding the birds, but what comes out of the south end of a northbound bird is highly acidic. The longer we leave these psychedelic bird presents on our paint, the more damage they will cause. The acids tend to etch a microscopic pond shaped depression in the paint. Removal as soon as possible will help minimize the damage. Instead of carrying a hose and bucket in your car, carry a bottle of no salt seltzer water. No salt seltzer water is nothing more than water and carbon dioxide which will not harm your paint. When needed, take off the cap, place your thumb over the top, shake well and you have a fire hydrant that will wash the worst of the bird's thoughtful gift from your paint. Try to rub this area as little as possible. Birds use gravel to digest their food and grit is one of the major components of their presents. If you try and rub off the solids, you may scratch the paint. Once you have gotten home and had a chance to wash the area with car wash, rinsed thoroughly and dried, use a little Meguiar #34 or One Grand Show Off to help remove any leftover acids. When you have the time, give the area a coat of wax. If the acids have left a slight mark in the paint, see the article on cleaning your paint. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will usually remove all traces

Complete article at:
http://carcareonline.com/wash_car.html

Hope it helps!
thank you...
Old 05-20-2001, 07:57 PM
Pro

A bird’s droppings are very acidic (pH 3.5 to 4.5). When bird droppings fall on your paint, the acid begins to burn and etch the paint’s surface. The longer the bird droppings remain, the greater the damage.

The result of bird dropping damage is a dimple in the paint’s surface, often as large as an inch or more in diameter. This damage is permanent, but can easily be repaired.
Repairing Damage

The only way to repair the damage caused by bird droppings is to polish the paint. You must use the polish to blending the surrounding paint, bringing it down to the same level as the damaged area. This may sound drastic, but it works very well. The only concern is that you’re making the paint thinner. So you must be careful not to polish all the way through to the primer. Do so, and you’ll have a more noticeable problem than what the bird left behind.

Any good paint polish can be used to fix the damage with a fair amount of rubbing. I’ve found that it’s better to start with a mild compound, as you would find in a “scratch remover” (Eagle One Scratch Remover is a good example), followed by a good hand polish.

Source: http://autopia-carcare.com/birdbombs.html

Old 05-21-2001, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Thanks everyone! I'll post before and after pics!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Darla:
Instead of carrying a hose and bucket in your car, carry a bottle of no salt seltzer water. No salt seltzer water is nothing more than water and carbon dioxide which will not harm your paint. When needed, take off the cap, place your thumb over the top, shake well and you have a fire hydrant that will wash the worst of the bird's thoughtful gift from your paint.

That's a handy tip with the seltzer water in the car. Gotta try that sometime, although I think it would only work on newly dumped crap. If it's dried up, don't know how effective the seltzer water would be. Might need to do some rubbing. Usually, I just spray the area down with Meguiars' Quick Detailer, allow to penetrate for a minute, and wipe off with a towel/napkin...
Old 05-21-2001, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Bummer! I hope it comes out. Another good reason for not parking under trees.

------------------
Fins^
2002 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
(The Silver Bullet)
Debadged