Bike rack??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike rack??

hey, im just wondering if n e of u guys have bike racks on ur TL.. Im looking for 1, but i dunno which one. Im looking for something that attaches to the trunk, not the kind on the roof.

Also, i have a OEM spoiler, and OEM bodykit on the car, so i dunno if that might affect which one i should choose.

-------
Clement
NBP 2003 TLS
-OEM Spolier and Bodykit
-airfreshner :P
-f*cked up multi-colored foglights('suppose to be white, but i went cheap, and white turned to multi-colored.)
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Mugen CL9

I actually just ordered a roof rack by Thule for my TL-S. I had to since my gf and I have mountain bikes, and need a way to transport them. Plus I need a way to transport my snowboard in the winter since it won't fit in the trunk.
I don't recommend a trunk rack since the weight of the bike/s will put pressure on the rear bumper. Thats what happened with the trunk rack on my Civic anyways. Plus I don't think a trunk rack will fit since you have the rear spoiler.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Advanced

Re: Bike rack??

Originally posted by Clement
hey, im just wondering if n e of u guys have bike racks on ur TL.. Im looking for 1, but i dunno which one. Im looking for something that attaches to the trunk, not the kind on the roof.

Also, i have a OEM spoiler, and OEM bodykit on the car, so i dunno if that might affect which one i should choose.

Stay away from the trunk mount too much stress on the paint job and bumper. If you don't want the roof rack go for the hitch mount bike rack. I just picked up the hitch and an allen bike rack on ebay And the price of this set up was about 160 delivered.

agees on ebay has pretty good prices on bike stuff and ship really quick

-------
Clement
NBP 2003 TLS
-OEM Spolier and Bodykit
-airfreshner :P
-f*cked up multi-colored foglights('suppose to be white, but i went cheap, and white turned to multi-colored.)
Old 05-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Racer

I have a Thule roof rack for my TLS it works great. Stay away from trunk mounted racks, they will damage your bumper. The hitch mounts are also a great way to go.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i have a trailer hitch style, i love it! dont have to worry about scratching the car, you can take it off easy, and if you forget you have the bike on it when you pull into the garage there is no damage done
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Instructor

So ALL trunk racks WILL damage the bumper? I was looking into the Saris Bones, and a few Hollywood racks..(Baja, Express, and Expedition). Looking at the pics of the Hollywood ones it looks like it'll clear my OE spoiler as well...I have an old school Hollywood F1 and it didn't even come close to clearing the wing. Roof rack and hitch routes are TOO expensive at this moment and I hate putting my bike inside. I try hard to be careful, but it's starting to tear up my interior...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also suggest getting a roof rack rather than the trunk rack. I used a Thule trunk rack on my TL with two bikes loaded on it and the 2 hooks, which have a rubber material surrounding them, that go on the sides of the trunk lid started to rub the paint off . It did put a lot of pressure on the bumper too. I'm not sure of the possibilities of the roof rack rubbing the paint off though.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
i was wondering the same thing about the trunk racks, i have a trek 7.2fx and it only weights about 10lbs, would that still be heavy to ruin my rear bumper
?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
trunk racks are not the best cause remember they are only attached with straps, so unless you can get all stretch out of them (and super tight), they are going to move around a little, but you could get like mini clear bras to go under the contact points to prevent rubbing

roof racks one, they are alot nicer in that they have custom fitted adapters for the majority cars, so they mount extremely solid, but if they are installed a little loose they can slide around still and again scratch the paint, again clear bras would be an answear ,
also they put every thing right into the airstream, so worse fuel mileage, where other options are kinda behind the car which breaks the majority of the wind

hitch style, nothing touches the paint so no scratches, but there is the possibility if the handle bar is not secured that the wheel may turn and such and scratch up the paint , but that is just making sure the bike can't swing foward and hit the car