Belt Problems Now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 AM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Belt Problems Now!

Well, i had just finished installing my CAI and was reving the engine a couple times to hear the sound. Everything was great. Then i closed the hood. Later on i went outside to rev it a little more before i was about to leave for a test drive, and all of a sudden i heard a nasty ass noise. Bad enough that it made me turn the car off right away. Sounded like something got caught in the belts or something. I pop the hood and the picture below is what i discovered. Looks like the belt apparently shifted over to the left and just shreded itself. Why or How this happened, i do not know. I know its just a belt and can be replaced but it just sucks that it has to happen after i installed my new CAI and i didnt even get to test drive the car for god sake!

Does anyone know what could of caused this and is that belt easy to replace? Also, how much does that belt brand new cost? Should that belt just be replaced by a shop or should i do it myself? Below are some pics...

looks like it shifted to the left in this pic

Some rubber/wire from the belt that shreded off it that i pulled out from down in there
Old 12-10-2005, 01:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well thats just pure BAD luck. The CAI had nothing to do with it. As far as what it costs, it should be less than 20 bucks and you can do it yourself.

run into any Problems post it and we will do our best to help you reslolve them
Old 12-10-2005, 01:54 AM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well thats just pure BAD luck. The CAI had nothing to do with it. As far as what it costs, it should be less than 20 bucks and you can do it yourself.

run into any Problems post it and we will do our best to help you reslolve them
What would you say is involved in changing that belt myself as far as what i might have to disconnect to get a new belt on there. Will i have to disconnect that motor mount or loosen the alternator so i can get the other belt down in there out first or what?
Old 12-10-2005, 01:58 AM
Senior Moderator

I honestly wouldnt know, but i would say it would be less than a 30 min job looking at it. (im still on my original belts after 196k.)

But what i would say is to replace them both at the same time if you r doing it
Old 12-10-2005, 02:05 AM
99TL-p 114K

I honestly wouldnt know, but i would say it would be less than a 30 min job looking at it. (im still on my original belts after 196k.)

But what i would say is to replace them both at the same time if you r doing it
Yeah i think your right about replacing both belts at the same time. That would be a good idea. DAMN, ORGINAL BELTS AT 196K Miles on your car. SHITTTTT, what belts you runnin, i need to get my hands on a pair of those LOL j/k. Nah but, any job is never 30 Min. CAI was said to be 1hr. Well, for a newb to it, its more like all day LOL. I catch your drift though. The weird thing about this shit is that, we bought the car a year ago from Car Max with 45K on it. Ive had it for 1 year now and im up to 53K on my car. If carmax replaces belts like they say, that belt should still be goin with no prob. And now on the day i install my CAI, it blows even before i get to test drive. THAT AINT RIGHT MAN. THATS JUST WRONG TO A TL OWNER lol. My concern is why did the belt shift over to the left and what could of caused it to shred so nasty all of a sudden. It happen during the reving. Wasnt pretty!!
Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Yeah i think your right about replacing both belts at the same time. That would be a good idea. DAMN, ORGINAL BELTS AT 196K Miles on your car. SHITTTTT, what belts you runnin, i need to get my hands on a pair of those LOL j/k. Nah but, any job is never 30 Min. CAI was said to be 1hr. Well, for a newb to it, its more like all day LOL. I catch your drift though. The weird thing about this shit is that, we bought the car a year ago from Car Max with 45K on it. Ive had it for 1 year now and im up to 53K on my car. If carmax replaces belts like they say, that belt should still be goin with no prob. And now on the day i install my CAI, it blows even before i get to test drive. THAT AINT RIGHT MAN. THATS JUST WRONG TO A TL OWNER lol. My concern is why did the belt shift over to the left and what could of caused it to shred so nasty all of a sudden. It happen during the reving. Wasnt pretty!!
How ever it happend its a fluke. It shouldnt shift. and it shouldnt go bad that early. Chalk it up to bad luck. Here is what id do. BUY a UR pully and swap out your belts at teh same time. Make alot more HP and be really happy knowing that you have new belts with not much to worry about and alot more HP.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:23 AM
99TL-p 114K

How ever it happend its a fluke. It shouldnt shift. and it shouldnt go bad that early. Chalk it up to bad luck. Here is what id do. BUY a UR pully and swap out your belts at teh same time. Make alot more HP and be really happy knowing that you have new belts with not much to worry about and alot more HP.
Yes, UR pully would be real nice, but i aint got the money for that right now. I just need to get this replaced so i can drive again, especially since this coming week here, i have finals for college and i drive 25 miles to school and 25 back. Thanks alot though. Later.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
99TL-p 114K

Talking Belts Have Been Changed

Ok, today i went and got the new belts, both the alternator/a c belt and serpentine belt. Changed both of them. My dad actually did it and i watched so now i know how to change them. Wasnt too hard. Disonnected the motor mount, put a jack under the engine, loosened one bolt on the alternator, and loosened one bolt on the power steering pump so that we could take the belts out and put the new ones in. Put the bolts back on, Tightened, and wala. all done. No more then 1hr depending on how quick you are with it.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:49 AM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup a very easy job...shouln't have taken half an hour though

a month ago when my corolla shreded the crank belt the same way yours did...while in high revs...sounded like busted a cam bearing or something. It turned out the crank belt got shreded. so i had to drive home (5mi) without ALTERNATOR NOR WATER PUMP!!