Bad header resonance is worrying me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 03:27 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad header resonance is worrying me.

Hey, i didnt drive my Tl for 2 weeks (driving my 1986 corolla ) and i've been driving my tl for the last two days and the resonance from the headers around the 1500rpm and in the 2300-2500rpm band is INCREDIBLE!!!

i tried retightening the bolts on the frontal headers but the ones in the back not yet. Any helps??? maybe those bolts on the rear aren't tight enough from the begining. (i did installation myself with help of friends)

This are some OBX stainless steel, they went on pretty easy exept i had to force the downpipe to align with the headers. Let me know what you think.

thx
Old 01-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
thats teh bad part about the obx. many have gotten that
Old 01-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Initial D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by etxxz
Hey, i didnt drive my Tl for 2 weeks (driving my 1986 corolla ) and i've been driving my tl for the last two days and the resonance from the headers around the 1500rpm and in the 2300-2500rpm band is INCREDIBLE!!!

i tried retightening the bolts on the frontal headers but the ones in the back not yet. Any helps??? maybe those bolts on the rear aren't tight enough from the begining. (i did installation myself with help of friends)

This are some OBX stainless steel, they went on pretty easy exept i had to force the downpipe to align with the headers. Let me know what you think.

thx
Does thermo-wrap (by Thermo Tec) help to dampen the resonance? Some people don't like their exhaust system to be wrapped up like a mummy. But that is something to try for around $40 if you want to keep OBX, plus you got the benefit of hotter exhaust.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by TunedTL
Does thermo-wrap (by Thermo Tec) help to dampen the resonance? Some people don't like their exhaust system to be wrapped up like a mummy. But that is something to try for around $40 if you want to keep OBX, plus you got the benefit of hotter exhaust.

I wouldnt bother with a heat wrap on our hearders.. if we were running some sort of FI it would help out alot... but since most of us are NA they arent going to offer any advantages. Another thing with heat wrap is then after they get wet they tend to harden up and in some cases have caught fire from all the heat....
Old 01-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Initial D

ndawood:
Wrapping is suggested as an attempt to lessen resonance problem not performance.

But I am interested in about the fire. Thermo Tec heat resistent paint should be applied after wraping, it is supposed to keep water and dirt away after curing and withstands continuous heat up to 2000°F (acoording to Thermo Tec web site).
Old 01-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Resident Troll.

Originally Posted by TunedTL
ndawood:
Wrapping is suggested as an attempt to lessen resonance problem not performance.

But I am interested in about the fire. Thermo Tec heat resistent paint should be applied after wraping, it is supposed to keep water and dirt away after curing and withstands continuous heat up to 2000°F (acoording to Thermo Tec web site).
the head wrap is used on FI cars to reduce the amount of heat in the engine bay so the turbo is able to stay cooler. as far as the fires are concered I can only go by what I have seen at my mechanics place. He specializes in porsches and I have seen a few of them come in with the thermal heat wrap all burnt up...

I cant say anything about thermo tec since I am not sure what was on those cars..
Old 01-17-2005, 02:09 PM
@ slide or die @

-sry for lateness i was in Fl kesys-

so this heat wrap thing would help resonance in what way?
also, should i even attempt at retightening the bolts? (front are easy to get but rears are a pain in the lower intestinal track)
Old 01-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by etxxz
-sry for lateness i was in Fl kesys-

so this heat wrap thing would help resonance in what way?
also, should i even attempt at retightening the bolts? (front are easy to get but rears are a pain in the lower intestinal track)
it may not be loose bolts and it may be just the header design causing that. if they were hard to go together and had to be forced together that may be part of the issue.
the wrap probably wont help
Old 01-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Advanced

I have the same problem with my OBX headers... the resonance is pretty loud.

The sound--to me--is like something is vibrating underneath the car. I was going to say something to Acura, but maybe this is the norm. The sound is fine when low, but if you are speeding up at a certain torque, it gets pretty loud.

Is this the same for you etxxz?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I say take your car out for a nice spirited drive. Get those header pipes nice and hot then try to retorque them. Obviously be careful as they will be very hot.

Sounds like a common problem with OBX, either

1 - Poor weld - have you noticed any holes where the welds are? - obviously the above mentioned rememdy will do nothing to solve this
2 - Header flanges are warped - heating them up might help get them to straighten out a little
Old 01-17-2005, 02:52 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

get an exhaust system it will solve the problem

i had resonance before and after i had the exhaust put on it went away..