Axxis Ultimate Pads If Your Interested In Them Or Other Pads Look!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 01:39 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axxis Ultimate Pads If Your Interested In Them Or Other Pads Look!!!

I was doing some research on many many different brake pads out there and was getting some mixed reviews but after finding a link on (believe it or not) the Mazda Miata site I've got my answers!!! This board should have something like this but I don't think anyone uses there TL for real track use but Miataz are always there... ANYWAY HERE'S SOME INFO FOR EVERYONE!!!

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM THERE BOARD...

AXXIS Ultimate Brake Pads
Applicable to: '90 - '97 1.6 liter 1.8 liter

Axxis pads billed for use in street and light track applications.

Scott @ RoadsterPerformance.com recommended these when it came time to replace my Porterfield R4-S pads. My experience with the pads is much the same as found in Ben Reyes' review. In short, the pads work exactly as billed. Between some aggressive street work and a two-driver track day, the pads just did not give up. When cold, they aren't noticeably different from the OEM compound, but they are markedly better as temps increase. When hot, they bite nicely; not quite as hard as a "true" racing pad, but harder than the R4-S, and most decidedly harder than stock. They also seem to have better longevity than the R4-S as well, not showing the crumbling that is typical with the Porterfields.

...And if the track performance wasn't enough, the dusting characteristics are wonderful to boot. They dust quite a lot more than stock, but somewhat less than the Porterfields. What impresses me most, though, is the quality of the dusting. With R4-S', I had to SCRUB the wheels to clean the dust off. Not so the Axxis Ultimates. I'd say that ~80% of the dust simply washes off with the hose, and the rest comes off with just a trivial swipe of a rag. I haven't seen another pad compound that can touch these for hot and cold performance, durability, dusting, and price. A great deal!

THIS REVIEW IS GOING TO HELP YOU TOO TIM

I've been looking into the PORTERFIELD'S OR THE ENDLESS OR THE AXXIS OR THE AEM PADS trying to come up with the real answer and there it is!!! AND the reviews keep claiming the same thing over and over!!! If you want to improve your braking A LOT and you don't or can't pay for the big brake kits, the Axxis Ultimate pads are very cheap and well worth the $$$, weither you keep the stock rotors or replace them!!! SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT IT'S WORTH IT!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Racer

Also plz don't edit this..... this site also tells you how you should brake in your NEW pads when you get them.
http://www.carbotecheng.com/faq-pad-q3.htm

This is good info that everyone should have!!

SORRY ONE MORE QUOTE ABOUT AXXIS ULT. FROM THAT SITE...

Performance brake pads billed as dual purpose for street and track use.

I read about these pads on Roadster Performance's web site and thought I'd give them a try to improve my Miata's frightening wet braking with the OEM pads. I also knew I'd be attending the Thunderhill drivers school. I ordered the pads and put them on in early January.

They leave a lot of black dust that easily washes off and they tend to squeak around town. But wet braking is vastly improved over OEM pads, judging by my seat of the pants (no more of that scary delay until the pads bite the rotors). At Thunderhill, the instructors asked if I had ABS. No, just fabulous modulation at incipient lockup. No fade either in repeated high-speed braking. Two long days at the track used up about a third of the pad material on the front, but didn't appear to chew up the rotors. Rear pads appear to have at least 90 percent remaining. I'll definitely buy them again.

DOESN'T CHEW UP ROTORS + GREAT WET BRAKING!!!! AGAIN THIS IS WHAT WE BUY PADS 4!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:47 AM
Racer

THE MIATA SITE http://www.miata.net/products/perform/axxis.html

THEY HAVE ALL THE PRODUCTS LISTED AND IF YOU'VE PURCHASED THEM YOU REVIEW THEM!!! VERY SMART!!!

WE SHOULD DO THAT HERE!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:50 AM
l33t

yeah they are great from what i hear, but they will eat our stock rotors alive... im geting them plus the rotora package...
Old 11-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Racer

ACTUALLY FROM THAT SITE AND MANY MANY REVIEWS OF THE AXXIS PADS PEOPLE ARE SAYING THERE "STOCK" ROTORS WERE FINE??? I ALSO THOUGHT THAT THE AXXIS PADS WOULD EAT UP THE ROTORS TOO (that's why I did so much research) but it seems like they don't!!! AND THIS IS FROM HEAVY TRACK USERS AS WELL!!! THAT'S A VERY IMPORTANT POINT!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 03:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
with a light car the pads are good! with a heavy car like ours the pads SUCK! they over heat fast and get spungy! the factory pads are better!, if you want a good pad that work well with all sorts of driving the Green Stuff is the best. low dust, takes a beating, and is track worthy. i ran about 6 laps at road america and switche back to the factory pads because the axxis was too spongy and couldnt slow me down fast enough once the rotor was hot. the factory pad was able to over and over. the green stuff is alot like the factory pad but it is alot less dust
Old 11-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Racer

I know you have experience with them but ALL I'VE HEARD ABOUT GREEN STUFF PADS IS THEY AREN'T WORTH A DAMN!!! They blacken the rotors really easily and then that has a tendancy to warp them???
Old 11-09-2003, 11:55 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been using the Axxis pads on my TL with stock rotors since 5000 miles. They are WAY BETTER than stock and do not eat up the stock rotors..... They have been on my car for about 4 years now.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:50 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read the bed-in instructions for the pads and it says to brake hard 6-8 times and let the car sit overnight.

it gets in conflicts with the rotors break-in instructions.. i was told not to brake hard for the first 200-500miles..

what do i do

@cUr@-TL
Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by BFOR3
I know you have experience with them but ALL I'VE HEARD ABOUT GREEN STUFF PADS IS THEY AREN'T WORTH A DAMN!!! They blacken the rotors really easily and then that has a tendancy to warp them???
ive never seen the green stuff blacken rotors, as far as them warping rotors,good rotors are about the only way to help reduce rotors from warping, not the pads. ive warped rotors with the very best pads and the cheapest pads. i know ALOT of people who run green stuff pads for street use and for racing(not 1/4 mile) (its a good pad for both uses) and will only use them. i am one of them. i had the axxis and if i had kept them on 1 more lap i probably would have ended up smashing my car because they couldnt handle heat
Old 11-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Racer

I just purchased the Rotora Slotted Rotors, Axxis Ultimates, 95 Legend cpe 2 piston calipers, Goodridge brake lines, and ATE superblue fluid and I'm going to install everything over Thanksgiving. So I will report how they all work first hand!!!