Availability

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Availability

Anyone in the know - is Acura going to increase, decrease or leave as is the supply of the new Type-S Sedan? The two dealers in St. Louis, MO basically will only sell at list. It's not that I don't think the car is worth it, I just don't care for giving a dealership that much profit. I even e-mailed a Chicagoland dealership who had advertised great deals on the internet on the 2001 Type S coupes. (Pauly Acura if anyone is wondering) Same story - list price due primarily to availability.
Thanks.

Sincerely

Hopefully a soon to be former GTP owner.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:23 PM
Advanced

There is even a big demand for the regular TL. We were able to get a little bit of a discount (more like we got free accessories). Plus there is atleast a month wait for us. You may not get a discount, but you can work some stuff in.

Acura probably won't increase the production it unless they think they can make more money from it. To increase a plant's productivity is much more costly and time consuming than it looks
Old 07-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Pro

Wait list! Full MSRP! Incredible. I can't believe the demand is still so high for TL and TL-S. With the economy heading into the ash can who has $$$ to throw around.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
(Pauly Acura if anyone is wondering) Same story - list price due primarily to availability.

I would be careful about Pauly Acura. I posted a message here recently on the tactics I experienced with them a couple of years ago, when the '99TL came out.

I had a '93 Vigor (80K miles at the time) I was looking to trade-in. Everyone was selling the TL at sticker, so there was none of the fudging the numbers with the trade-in. Trade-in on my car at the time was around $8500. Went to Acura of Libertyville (where I bought my Vigor) and they were close ($8200), there was a waiting list so I didn't get serious with them so I don't know if they would have budged further. Went to a few other dealers and they were in the ball park. Even went to Highland Park Lexus (I was cross shopping the ES300) and they were close, complimented me on the condition of my car, and told me that if I was serious about buying that there was probably a little more wiggle room on the trade. Then went to Pauly Acura and the following conversation occured after they looked at my car:

Salesman: Nice car, we'll give you $5,300.
Me: Huh, why is everyone else quoting me around $8K?
Salesman: On what car?
Me: What do you mean? My car.
Salesman: No, what car to purchase?
Me: (Getting pi$$ed now) THE REASON WHY I'M HERE... A TL!
Salesman: There's no way I could give you $8K on a TL purchase. If other dealers are willing to pay for that, I'll sell it to them for $8K.

How pompous and arrogant. I promptly walked out. Why would I do business with them. I vowed to let everyone know their tactics. What they were doing was the same as adding a $3K surcharge to the sticker price, they just did it by low-balling the trade.

They pi$$ed me off so much I figured I'd drive my Vigor a while longer. When I did eventually buy early this year, I didn't even call Pauly, I didn't care if they had the only car in the Chicago area, they wouldn't see my money. I would gladly drive to Wisconsin or Indiana to buy the car. Acura of Libertyville didn't have the car I wanted, Arlington Acura did and came close to selling me the car, but I got a better deal from Woodfield Acura.

Just my two cents.

By the way, two years later I got $4800 (111K miles) for the Vigor and $1,800 off the sticker on the TL.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Same availability (lack of) story in NE OH - we've got one dealer who carrys little inventory. We had to drive to Columbus to find any color selection at all.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:29 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Eskimo
Wait list! Full MSRP! Incredible. I can't believe the demand is still so high for TL and TL-S. With the economy heading into the ash can who has $$$ to throw around.
It doesnt affect the TL market, They have been getting buyers who were orginally in the $40K market, because of the economy, these $40k buyers are now looking at the TLs. All in all great value for you money. I got a $1700 discount off list.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Check out this discussion in the TL-S forum....
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=18368

There are deals to be had... it just depends on location and how much time you're going to put in looking around. Also, like these guys said.... the TL-S is easier to find then the TL. My dealer had 3 TL-S' and zero TL's on the lot when I picked up my car yesterday.....
Old 07-31-2001, 06:58 PM
Racer

For the 1999 model, Marysville TL production capacity was around ~55,000 units. That was upped to ~65,000 in 2000 as Japan was ramped up on the KA Accord 4-cyl. For 2001, production capacity was upped again roughly 10,000 units. I don't know about 2002 orders, so I have to stop here.

The TL, CL, Accord Coupe and the Accord V-6 sedan are all made in Marysville. There is a tremendous demand for all of these cars, so none can be shorted. The capacity of Marysville is ~420,000 units/ year w/ all of the models supported. The increase in TL and CL capacity has only come as Japan was tooled in 99 for 4-dr 4-cyl accord. There really isn't much available capacity.

So no, there will not be a large increase in the supply of the TL. Hey, it keeps the re-sale high (a dealer offered me $24,000 for my 2000 TL/Navi and 51,000 miles!).