Automatic one-touch sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, I'm thinking of making this into a kit - any of u interested? I'd make it a little circuit board with connectors (hopefully i can find connectors that fit stock ones.. if not, i'd put some T-clips or something in)
Old 04-16-2002, 09:38 PM
BDI
Banned

What ever happened to the Voice recognition thingy??
Old 04-16-2002, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BDI
What ever happened to the Voice recognition thingy??
Oh damn, I remember that!!! What did happen to that thingy?

Bebber,

1st, you are the man!!! Fortunately I can understand your diagram. My father, grandfather and uncle's are all electrical engineer's. I just had to look closely at the pics of the diagram. No scanner around? No matter, much obliged.

2nd, thank you very much for sharing the info. I could imagine how long it took to post it. Thanks.

I cannot believe I just came across this thread.

And like Nate said, the hell with Narcissus from Texas.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:29 AM
Racer

voice recognition thingy has been on hold for a while, but i'm hoping to get it out this year.. for now, I just made a little 1.25" square circuit board for the automatic sunroof thing that has the timer circuit on it.. i'll test it and hopfully integrate something with both automatic open and close and hopefully find a matching connector .. then we'll be cookin'
Old 04-17-2002, 02:02 AM
Pro

Hey Bebber,

Excellent mod! I think I'll try it this summer!

alex
Old 04-17-2002, 07:23 AM
jbn
Instructor

I would be interested if somebody was to put a kit together for it. This would be an awesome mod!
Old 04-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Bebber,
Excellent mod. Thanks for posting it.

One question...what is the timing duration on the DEI relay? I guess it should be somewhere around 5 seconds. I have a bunch of programmable timer relays I want to use.

TOTL
Old 04-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bebber thanks for working on this. I am going to do it for my car and i jut need to know exactly what kind of Diodes to use.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:20 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Thumbs up

I've seen it in person, and all I can say is WOW!!!! I liked it!!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

What's a diode?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Fiddler
voice recognition thingy has been on hold for a while, but i'm hoping to get it out this year.. for now, I just made a little 1.25" square circuit board for the automatic sunroof thing that has the timer circuit on it.. i'll test it and hopfully integrate something with both automatic open and close and hopefully find a matching connector .. then we'll be cookin'
Yeah, I've been visiting your site every few months but didn't see any new news! I wish I lived close enough to ya to be a Beta tester, too!

I'm definitely interested!

V.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Closer
What's a diode?
Diode- An electrical device that will allow current to flow in one direction only.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Come on NOW, lets be nice here. I wasnt asking "whats a diode" i was asking info on what type of diode i should be using. I am not an electrical engineer but i have used diodes before and i know there are different kinds. I would like help from someone about which type to use in this application, AND i am not afraid to ask for help... i have no pride here when it comes to having a one touch sunroof open/close system
Old 04-17-2002, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the diode definition was for Closer, not you 2002acuraTL...read a few posts up and you'll see...
Old 04-22-2002, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Hey Fiddler---

I know nothing about diode's and the like; however, I would be very interested in this mod if someone could create a more simple device such as the box that Fiddler is talking about.

Fiddler: if your thing works would you be willing to make one for me with simple instructions?
I would be very appreciative.

-Thanks.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Almost any diode would work since this isn't precision electronic work. Just make sure it can take over 12V and handle like 1 W of power or something really small. It should have a Vfb(forward biased) of less than 2V.

If you want a part number, get the 1N4004. Radio Shack and any electronics supplier should sell these. It should be like 50 cents for a pack of two. If they're out of them, get something similar to it. Really, for this application almost any off the shelf diode will work.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:12 AM
Safety Car

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TUFF GONG
And like Nate said, the hell with Narcissus from Texas. /QUOTE]TUFF GONG = teh win That the best description to date!!!
Old 05-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up Re: Automatic one-touch sunroof

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bebber
[B]I figured I should disclose the wiring schematic for the one-touch sunroof since BobaTimez liked it so much.

Parts: 1 DEI 528 timer relay. 2 SPDT relays. 4 diodes. wire, connectors, wire taps, and tools.

Estimated parts cost: $35-50.
Estimated install time: 3 hours.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Bebber,

Thank you so much for sharing the information on the sunroof. What year and model was this one-touch sunroof open and close functionality installed on? I have a 2001 Acura 3.2 CL-Type S (w/ Navi), will your diagram be identical to work on my car? I was directed to your message from someone on the CL site in response to my inquiry on VIPER control of the sunroof. Specifically, I posted a question about whether the VIPER (DEI) sunroof control (530T or 529T) would control the sunroof (open from the VIPER remote, close when arming alarm, one-touch open and close from factory sunroof switch, still keeping vent button /functionality intact). I've had two installers attempt it, it almost worked...where it failed is that when the roof closes upon arming the alarm, after it closes it bumps back up to a vent position. DEI says use micro-switches. The installers say easier said than done and they think that the only thing that would really work is putting sensors in the tracks to signal when roof is closed, and say they would almost positively have to take down the whole headliner and get to the sunroof motor itself, a HUGE undertaking---they aren't sure how to do it, and seems they really don't want to try/do it.

It seems to me that your one-touch functionality may be the solution I am looking for (without messing with the sunroof motor, the tracks, and ripping down the headliner). What do you suggest on how to do this, can it be done, and what DEI equipment to use. My understanding is that the 530T allows one touch open and close, the 529T does not.

How does your one-touch operation work (timer or sensors, etc??)and is it always accurate/reliable. Thank you for your efforts!! Much appreciated with any help you can provide me to get this solved!

Jay
Old 05-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bebber
I could have drawn the schmatic on PSPICE or PowerView, but white paper is my usual choice.

I'll try the best I can to explain it simpler. When you press one of the stock moonroof switches, you close a circuit and "ground" a wire. The purpose of the timer is to keep the circuit closed and keep the wire grounded for a long enough time that the roof would close/open completely by itself. All that is needed, is the intial input to activate the timer which is done by simply tapping the close or open switch. The output relay is there to allow one timer to be reused for both open and close functions. Of course, you could use one timer for the open function, and one timer for the close function, but that would cost more $.
The interrupt relay is there so that you can stop the moonroof travel during automatic operation. You might not want the roof to open all the way, or maybe there is a dumb passenger sticking his hand in the path of the closing roof. This feature will allow you to stop the sunroof travel. The diodes may or may not be necessary depending on your application, but are there to prevent any feedback from the stock wires from effecting the design. You have to have the diode between the stock open and close wires though. A diode is like a one-way valve in a water pipe in that it only allows the media to flow in one direction. The diode keeps electrical currents/signals flowing only in one direction.
If you opt for the two DEI timer approach, then you need only one relay, don't need any diodes and the install will be easier overall.

If this still makes no sense, then I don't know what else to say, but that this may be a little bit harder than the average person should undertake. If you feel comfortable with wiring, then go ahead and do it. You'll be glad that you did.

Sounds cool and I might try it out myself. Technically the same rul applies with all the power windows as well right? I know they use some kind of multiplexing throughout the car and i do have the ETM so I might look into it, but I think you, being an EE, would figure it out a lot faster
Old 05-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Instructor

looks easy, but needs some better explanation, do you think you could provide us with a color diagram or maybe a little clearer as to what wires go to where and what connects to what. the idea i follow, but the details get a lil confusing.
i have some questions:

1. your first relay shown between the open and vent switch gets a wire from nowhere

2. where do the original open/close/vent wires continue off to or from where do they continue to cars "brain" to control the sunroof?

thanx
Old 05-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: Automatic one-touch sunroof

Originally posted by Jay CL Type-S
I've had two installers attempt it, it almost worked...where it failed is that when the roof closes upon arming the alarm, after it closes it bumps back up to a vent position.
Dude... thats not how it should work. I talked with a friend for a while and he explained why they can't do most sunroofs -- because most use the same switch to go from open to close, and from close to vent. In the TL there are 3 buttons: open, close, and vent. From what you've posted, I'm guessing it is different for the CL. For my TL, my friend just put a timer on the switch to send the close signal for a while when I hit arm. I can't open it from the remote (the windows I can ), but I don't EVER have to worry about rolling up windows or closing the sunroof.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:13 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

deng man... does anyone knows how to do this around my area? I'll pay ya....
Old 05-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Re: Re: Re: Automatic one-touch sunroof

Originally posted by Nate
Dude... thats not how it should work. I talked with a friend for a while and he explained why they can't do most sunroofs -- because most use the same switch to go from open to close, and from close to vent. In the TL there are 3 buttons: open, close, and vent. From what you've posted, I'm guessing it is different for the CL. For my TL, my friend just put a timer on the switch to send the close signal for a while when I hit arm. I can't open it from the remote (the windows I can ), but I don't EVER have to worry about rolling up windows or closing the sunroof.
----
The 2001 CL is the same as the TL, it does have 3 buttons (open, close, vent). Did you not want to be able to open the sunroof from remote, or was it not possible? My first concern is to get it to close upon arming as you have, if that is successful, then getting 1-touch open/close from factory buttons, and lastly sunroof open from VIPER remote. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Safety Car

My remote only has 4 buttons. I didn't want the sunroof to open when I open the windows, plus it would've been more work. It should be pretty easy for your installer to tap into the switch that opens the sunroof and emulate it being pressed. I can't think of what they are doing to make it go into vent... if you press and hold the close button it will slide all the way closed and stop. They just need to emulate that button being pressed with a switch that gets triggered from the alarm brain. Wish I new what wires my installer used.
Old 05-19-2002, 08:29 PM
Cruisin'

you could do this same thing using a DEI 529T, with far less trouble. A DEI 529T Controls one window in two directions, or two windows in one direction. I use two DEI 530Ts for my windows(two windows two directions), and a DEI 529T for my roof. You could also pick up a spare channel extender and tap into your trunk release or unlock button to trigger other events, like rolling all of the windows up with two pushes of the unlock button. Or you can just get an aftermarket alarm with extra auxilary channels. either way it works, and you don't have to make a wiring nightmare.

DEI 529T should be around $30-$35 and DEI 530T should be around $70-$80

I use one aux channel from my alarm and a channel extender with a few diodes to control all of my window functions. All close, open all windows, open sunroof, close sunroof, open front windows, open back windows. Really easy, and not messy at all. depending on how many times I press that button it does different things.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Banned

Anyone have the pics and diagrams from this thread, I tried PM'ing Soopa to get them for me, he said he would look into it, but no response. SOMEONE who might have saved this info.. ne one????