ATTN: UW TL: Clearbra question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, you did it in 2 hours? The guy told me it was going to be a 4-5 hour job, and that's why he was charging me $275. And this guy is supposedly a pro at it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Now, if I mess it up, I assume there's no damage done to the paint or factory clearcoat, right? The worse that can happen is that I wasted my money on the kit, and I can always open my wallet for this guy to do it right the second time.

DA
Old 03-23-2001, 12:15 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't think you will mess up. work fast and apply a lot of the shampoo solution so the car and the bra are partially sticking to each other but at the same time you can still move it around and readjust the location.

if you mess up, after the solutions are dried... i don't think you can put it back on after you peel it off because the adhesive will be gone... I am not sure.. Ask TLon19's and see what he says. he's got clear bra too. hope i helped.

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
Dude, you did it in 2 hours? The guy told me it was going to be a 4-5 hour job, and that's why he was charging me $275. And this guy is supposedly a pro at it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Now, if I mess it up, I assume there's no damage done to the paint or factory clearcoat, right? The worse that can happen is that I wasted my money on the kit, and I can always open my wallet for this guy to do it right the second time.

DA
Old 03-23-2001, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by UW TL:
i think the clear bra is totally worth the investment. I installed the bumper and the hood (which has hood and mirrors).

it took me a little more than 2 hours to do it (i try to make things too pefect). You have to read the instructions very clearfully before you do it. and i mean very clearfully, like you have to kinda memorize all the steps.

Personally, I don't believe in others making so much money off the simple labors that I can do so I really depends on how comfortable you are with cars. You might want to call up a friend and have him/her help you. Because all you need are two kinds of solution. 1) shampoo solution, to lubricate the surface between the clear bra and the car. 2) alcohol+water, to activate the sticking power of the bra. You apply 2) after you have put the bra on the car and have made sure the location is ideal (watch for gaps and make sure they are all even). Then use the rubber sqeezer and sqeeeeeeeeeeze the hell out of the bra and remove ALL the water bubbles and air bubbles....

Kinda like laying a tint down, but on the outside....
Old 03-23-2001, 12:21 PM
The Doctor

exactly!!

Originally posted by VTEC Animal:
Kinda like laying a tint down, but on the outside....
Old 03-23-2001, 01:14 PM
Pro

whats up guys, I think that you can put it yourself. Its alittle like putting on tint or a sticker. but this material is alot thicker and easier to work with. Something that X-Pel doesnt disclose is that you can only apply this to factory paint and nothing that has been repainted. It took off some of my clearcoat from my repainted bumper. I think the product is well worth it!!! UW purchased that precut sheets, I went with the bulk. Advantages of going with the precut is its precut! No hassle with test fitting a big sheet over your car. The advantages with buying bulk is that I made the bra the size i wanted and was able to protect my mirrors, door moldings and the key hole area. I've done 4 cars now with this product and even with the precut sheets, i still had to modify it alittle. Overall I think that you can do this yourself!

------------------

1999 stock Silver TL w/Navi
1990 orange CRX with no more radio
Old 03-23-2001, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any of you guys tried the headlight kit? I'm thinking of getting all 3 kits. I read the instructions and it really doesn't look that hard. DA...I wouldn't pay someone that kind of money to have it installed. Give it a shot yourself first. I'm gonna order it for my mustang and try it on that car first. What did you guys use to remove the wax from the car? Did they include some stuff with the kit? Also, do you wax the clear bra? If so, does it feel different from the rest of the car.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver TL
- Factory Rear Wing
- Factory Body Kit
- Factory Wood Kit
- Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-23-2001, 01:44 PM
The Doctor

good job TLon19's

------------------

2000 Metalic Silver TL
Comptech springs
AEM Short Ram
Custom mesh grill
Polarg M-12 Side signals
Bra - XPEL clear bra, that is.
Pikkachu on the back passenger window
Old 03-23-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro

I washed the area and cleaned it with bug and tar remover. Nothing comes with the kit for cleaning.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by UW TL:

if you mess up, after the solutions are dried... i don't think you can put it back on after you peel it off because the adhesive will be gone... I am not sure.. Ask TLon19's and see what he says. he's got clear bra too. hope i helped.

I'm sure if I mess it up, the kit will be wasted cause the adhesive will be gone.
I can live with that. I can pay the installer to get another kit, and have him install it.

I just want to be sure there will be no damage to the factory paint and clearcoat from my screwing it up (if that should happen).

Thanks,
DA
Old 03-23-2001, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Post ATTN: UW TL: Clearbra question

Noticed that you installed the xpel clear bra yourself. Which kit did you install? I just visited the site, and they have a hood, fender and mirror kit, and they also have a bumper kit. You did a nice job as I certainly can see it from the pics.

Do you recommend doing self-installation? I don't want to have any air bubbles like you often see with crappy tint jobs. I called a local installer, and they quoted me $275 for labor to install both kits. The kits will total $210, with a grand total of $485 plus tax.

Is it worth it? Also, has anyone seen the stuff xpel sells to protect headlights? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
DA

Old 03-23-2001, 11:56 PM
The Doctor

i think the clear bra is totally worth the investment. I installed the bumper and the hood (which has hood and mirrors).

it took me a little more than 2 hours to do it (i try to make things too pefect). You have to read the instructions very clearfully before you do it. and i mean very clearfully, like you have to kinda memorize all the steps.

Personally, I don't believe in others making so much money off the simple labors that I can do so I really depends on how comfortable you are with cars. You might want to call up a friend and have him/her help you. Because all you need are two kinds of solution. 1) shampoo solution, to lubricate the surface between the clear bra and the car. 2) alcohol+water, to activate the sticking power of the bra. You apply 2) after you have put the bra on the car and have made sure the location is ideal (watch for gaps and make sure they are all even). Then use the rubber sqeezer and sqeeeeeeeeeeze the hell out of the bra and remove ALL the water bubbles and air bubbles....

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:
Noticed that you installed the xpel clear bra yourself. Which kit did you install? I just visited the site, and they have a hood, fender and mirror kit, and they also have a bumper kit. You did a nice job as I certainly can see it from the pics.

Do you recommend doing self-installation? I don't want to have any air bubbles like you often see with crappy tint jobs. I called a local installer, and they quoted me $275 for labor to install both kits. The kits will total $210, with a grand total of $485 plus tax.

Is it worth it? Also, has anyone seen the stuff xpel sells to protect headlights? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
DA