ATTN: Canadian TL Owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN: Canadian TL Owners!!!

Hey guys, I need some advice on the tranny warranty.
I have 03 Tl-s.
My car shakes like crazy in 3rd gear around 50-60km/h @ 2000-2300rpm. I think this is the tranny problem.
So I took it to the dealer last week and tried to show what is happening but didn't happen when I was with mechanic.

But unfortunately, they told me my car is out of warranty. I have 133,000km on it now. But I read some of the post that Acura still covers even if the warranty expires. At that time the service manager was on vacation, so I am going to the dealer tomorrow and will speak with the service manager about the warranty/good will replacement and also will have to prove it to the mechanic about the problem.

Please give me some tips how I should deal with this issue.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Instructor

dnam85,

Well my warranty is extended up to 7 years or 160,000 km so that's quite a bit of warranty for my car. I am not sure why your car is not under warranty anymore. They usually use the vehicle identification number (VIN) to determine whether your car has extended warranty - they know which batches of car have which types of transmissions put into them and hence, the ones which are prone to failure. Considering your car is 03, it still should have warranty on it.

Ways to deal with it:

1) Yes, talk to the service manager directly. This maybe with yourself or if your parents are involved, they should go with you too or anyone else to support your stand/claim. Tell them that is is a "well-known" issue with the Acura TLs in the generations 98-02 and that Acura should be liable for their manufacturing screwups and flaws in their transmission design which caused premature failure. Be ASSERTIVE and VOCAL about this!! Complain like a son of a bitch. Buying an expensive sport-luxury car should not result in, or be expected, this kinda of shoddy workmanship.

2) Another possibility. Go to another dealership; actually many if needed. Get different opinions also. You are likely able to get to one dealership that will be honest, helpful, and competent to deal with your situation and repair/replace the parts through their labor cost. Talk to the service manager of each of these respective dealerships again. Each dealership is different, much like each person is different.

3) If all else fails, contact Acura of Canada head quarters customer service division and explain the situation, tell them it's a "known" problem with that particular models years of the Acura TL. Again you may need to talk to someone who has authority and can make decision making choices to have your transmission repaired, replaced; you might have to pay for some labor cost but see if you can get all inclusive kind of deal from them for good will to keep a loyal customer.

I have a question: Did you buy your car used or as a rebuilt vehicle?

Be ASSERTIVE and COMPLAIN, justify your position, refer them to any links such as this forum if they bullshit you and say it's "only a few" transmissions that actually fail, but also try not to be rude and be tactful in your expression.

If you were local, I would refer you to one of the dealerships around here which I think has good service and is honest in dealing with Acura customers.

Good luck and hopefully this helps. One of these options are going to work for you. Be persistent!

Michael
Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 AM
極品インスパイア32V

Originally Posted by Michael03TLS
dnam85,

Well my warranty is extended up to 7 years or 160,000 km so that's quite a bit of warranty for my car. I am not sure why your car is not under warranty anymore. They usually use the vehicle identification number (VIN) to determine whether your car has extended warranty - they know which batches of car have which types of transmissions put into them and hence, the ones which are prone to failure. Considering your car is 03, it still should have warranty on it.

Ways to deal with it:

1) Yes, talk to the service manager directly. This maybe with yourself or if your parents are involved, they should go with you too or anyone else to support your stand/claim. Tell them that is is a "well-known" issue with the Acura TLs in the generations 98-02 and that Acura should be liable for their manufacturing screwups and flaws in their transmission design which caused premature failure. Be ASSERTIVE and VOCAL about this!! Complain like a son of a bitch. Buying an expensive sport-luxury car should not result in, or be expected, this kinda of shoddy workmanship.

2) Another possibility. Go to another dealership; actually many if needed. Get different opinions also. You are likely able to get to one dealership that will be honest, helpful, and competent to deal with your situation and repair/replace the parts through their labor cost. Talk to the service manager of each of these respective dealerships again. Each dealership is different, much like each person is different.

3) If all else fails, contact Acura of Canada head quarters customer service division and explain the situation, tell them it's a "known" problem with that particular models years of the Acura TL. Again you may need to talk to someone who has authority and can make decision making choices to have your transmission repaired, replaced; you might have to pay for some labor cost but see if you can get all inclusive kind of deal from them for good will to keep a loyal customer.

Be ASSERTIVE and COMPLAIN, justify your position, refer them to any links such as this forum if they bullshit you and say it's "only a few" transmissions that actually fail, but also try not to be rude and be tactful in your expression.

If you were local, I would refer you to one of the dealerships around here which I think has good service and is honest in dealing with Acura customers.

Good luck and hopefully this helps. One of these options are going to work for you. Be persistent!

Michael
Michael...nice write up! clear explanation and really helpful...

I got the same situation on my car (shakes when going uphill at low rpm)

I booked an appointment for service at North Shore Acura and told them this situation, they will have a mechanic to test drive my car with me and see if the problem is there.

One more thing, my car is 02 still under the "extended tranny warranty". If you got a letter from ACURA, you should be fine.

good luck
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced

dnam85,

Ways to deal with it:

Michael

Hey Michael, thanks for your input.
well, I bought my used 3 years ago. and I already checked the VIN with the dealer last week and they told me it's only cover til 100,000km. They said some of the latest 03 models are only covered up to 100,000km because the problem has solved etc. BS....
Anyways, I made an appointment at Lougheed Acura that's the one I always go to, but I think if they don't help me out then I will be going to Richmond or Burrard or mabye North shore...
Anyways, I going to the dealer soon, I will keep you updated later on today.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Instructor

You're welcome guys for the feedback and glad it's helpful; most people probably think it's long reading and don't read it hehe , but oh well.

InspireUA5,

Yeah good choice. If there is any dealership that will help you out, I think it's North Shore Acura. They are good at diagnosing things when it goes wrong. I had a engine mount crack on my car, for whatever reason, probably defective, and they changed it out for me under warranty while I did maintenance service on my car there.
Good luck. I am sure they'll take care of the problem for you, especially if it's under warranty.

dnam85,

Either you didn't have your signature showing you were local in B.C. or I was blind in not seeing it lol. I do NOT recommend Lougheed Acura. They are like misers or always making up excuses about not giving out warranty claims; this can be confirmed by other members on this board saying the same thing. "Richmond" is iffy too. I tried to claim my headlights leak water and had fog inside my lights and they said you have to bring it back on a rainy day to show evidence of it. Funny thing is that I dealt with another guy there and he just took my word for it and change it, however, my lights didn't aim properly and the lights were not quite flush against the body of the car. ( North Shore Acura "tried" to say it was okay too but I insisted and eventually got them to change it )

You're best bet is "North Shore" Acura for sincere, honest, and helpful information. I am not sure about my schedule next week as I might be out of the country, but I might be able to come with you if you are going to the dealership to try to get your transmission issues covered. I am a regular at North Shore so we can just talk to the service manager, Mark Chambers, directly - good guy who tries to help the best he can. Sharon - other service advisor - is "ok" but don't really like her. Jason, the newer guy - pretty cool guy who worked at Lexus in North Shore mall previously. I claimed alot of warranty stuff from them and most of the time they did go through with it.

Head office Acura will be next if no local dealerships will help or make the judgement call to fix your problem.

I'll PM my phone number and you can give me a call if you have any questions.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the help Michael.
I went to the lougheed dealer yesterday and I coudln't even get chance to talk to the service manager, rather I was told by assistant manager that the service manager told her to tell me that I should call the customer relations. I was a bit ticked off...

But I called a customer relations while i was at the dealer, after waiting for 30mins on the line, I finally spoke with this guy and told everything about this situation.
He said because it's out warranty he needs to see any transmission maintainance invoice from me like fluid changes at 48,000km 96,000km etc before preceeding any further.

But the thing is I only have one record at 100,000km. I don't know if that will be helpful enough.

so I don't know...trying different dealer maybe an option as you suggested, but I already made a call and spoke with one of the customer relation guy.
Do you think it will still be helpful to go to the different dealer? (north shore)

I got your number by Pm thanks again man.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Advanced

hey guys,
i just got my 3rd tranny from lougheed acura, 02 tls and 155k. anyone know the tsb number? i heard the extended warranty is actually 7 years, 170,000km? can anyone confirm?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Type S personality

Mine 03's warranty for the tranny is good for 7 years, 160000km.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Instructor

My warranty is 7 years or 160,000 also.

The one record at 100,000 should prove something; you did service the car. You bought the car used so those other records from other owner(s) is probably unattainable at least on our end but not Acura's, as to whether your car was serviced during its lifetime. But I don't think that's the main issue. We all know there are flaw designs in the Honda/Acura transmission problems.

He said because it's out warranty he needs to see any transmission maintainance invoice from me like fluid changes at 48,000km 96,000km etc before preceeding any further.
This sounds like there is some "hope" for possible leeway.

Do you think it will still be helpful to go to the different dealer? (north shore)
Yeah, I certainly think this is a good choice. PM me your number. If you are available Friday, we can try to go there in the morning and talk to the service manager; he should be there early Friday morning to talk to.

Can you replicate the "shaking" or any kind of gear slipping you are talking about lately?? It would certainly help if you can replicate it, otherwise they'll just say it's fine.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PankrationIsFun
hey guys,
i just got my 3rd tranny from lougheed acura, 02 tls and 155k. anyone know the tsb number? i heard the extended warranty is actually 7 years, 170,000km? can anyone confirm?
PankrationIsFun,

Can you tell me roughly the amount of kilometers when each time the transmission was replaced? Like when did the first and second fail at? I hope you go the latest revision of the transmisson for your car because your 155,000 is running close to the end of warranty 160,000. But believe or not, some guys on this forum had their transmission replaced beyond the warranty period for "good faith" reasons by some dealerships in the US dealerships.

Thank You
Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Michael03TLS

second tranny went at 127,000
got my 3rd at 155,000

how can you tell if you got the latest revision on the tranny?

does anyone know of good faith being done in vancouver?
Old 08-09-2007, 02:18 PM
極品インスパイア32V

My warranty is 7 years or 160,000 also.

The one record at 100,000 should prove something; you did service the car. You bought the car used so those other records from other owner(s) is probably unattainable at least on our end but not Acura's, as to whether your car was serviced during its lifetime. But I don't think that's the main issue. We all know there are flaw designs in the Honda/Acura transmission problems.

This sounds like there is some "hope" for possible leeway.

Yeah, I certainly think this is a good choice. PM me your number. If you are available Friday, we can try to go there in the morning and talk to the service manager; he should be there early Friday morning to talk to.

Can you replicate the "shaking" or any kind of gear slipping you are talking about lately?? It would certainly help if you can replicate it, otherwise they'll just say it's fine.
I am also going to North Shore Acura for serivce on Friday (Tomorrow at 4.00pm)
Old 08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PankrationIsFun
Michael03TLS

second tranny went at 127,000
got my 3rd at 155,000

how can you tell if you got the latest revision on the tranny?

does anyone know of good faith being done in vancouver?
I think there is a decal on the inside of your car body as soon as you open up your driver's door. You will see the serial number, VIN, and Acura knows which VIN # fall within a certain time frame as to whether your car has the "supposedly" updated transmission.

Haven't heard of any "good faith" dealerships in Vancouver yet.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow I can belive "PankrationIsFun" got his 3rd tranny replaced so fast after the 2nd...

I've getting abit worried as I haven't got a tranny fluid change yet....

I'm at 70000 kms now
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
極品インスパイア32V

I am moving onto 2nd tranny in a week or so......

I brought my car to North Shore Acura last Friday. They have tested my transmission and

they confirmed that my car needs a new tranny.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by InspireUA5
I am moving onto 2nd tranny in a week or so......

I brought my car to North Shore Acura last Friday. They have tested my transmission and

they confirmed that my car needs a new tranny.

Hey man, how was the service at North Shore Acura? are they nice?

I guess you are still covered by warranty. good for you... I am having hard time

dealing with this out of warranty issue...I hate the customer relations, it takes

30mins to talk to anyone and the extension # doesn't work too.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 PM
極品インスパイア32V

Originally Posted by dnam85
Hey man, how was the service at North Shore Acura? are they nice?

I guess you are still covered by warranty. good for you... I am having hard time

dealing with this out of warranty issue...I hate the customer relations, it takes

30mins to talk to anyone and the extension # doesn't work too.

The service there is pretty good. They gave me a 2007 CSX premium loaner but

they charged the price for service which is a little bit higher than Lougheed Acura.

Also they told me that there's no "brakes" on my car, which needs to get all four

brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced. They kept asking me on the phone to

get this job done at the time they do the service, which costs roughly $500.

I refused the offer and took my car to an autoshop which sometime I used to go

to. They only charged me 370 for 4 brake pads and 4 rotors resurfaced, which I

saved a lot and got better brake pads compared to OEM ones.

For your situation, you should go to other dealers and ask around. I don't know, I

think any TL under 160k km/ 8 yrs should be covered.

Good luck and wish you all the best
Old 09-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Update:

After talking to the customer relations, and sending out the tranny maintainance record( ATF change) they offered $1500 off of the tranny. Which means I will have to cover the rest of the part cost and the labour. It will be around $2640 plus taxes.

I kept asking why they only cover a portion of it, the answer they gave me was I did not maintainanced my car at the Acura dealer, and I did not buy the car from the dealer. I only did some oil changes.
Basically they are saying that I didn't contribute enough to their revenue.

I still think that I deserve the full coverage, at least full coverage on the parts.
But I don't know what to do. They are kept saying other managers will give me the same answer.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and pay around $3000 to fix the tranny or sell the car? I am thinking both ways, but can't have definite answer.

Any other suggestions dealing with customer relations?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ If you sell the car the way it is to a used car dealer ... you might luck out and the car not do anything funky on them during the test drive. You will get a value far below Black Book (so that might hinder your sale). If you sell privately, you have to tell the potential buyer of the problem you're experiencing if s/he asks or be liable for any bills they incur (ie if you lie and say it's 100% problem-free ... that's illegal since you are misrepresenting the status of the item you are selling. I think if you sell the car "as is" ... you still have to say what you KNOW is not working properly IF they ask you.)

I don't know what to tell you. If you got issues with money, then you might have to bite the bullet and get the tranny fixed or else it could crap out on you at an inopportune moment (ie on expressway!) Maybe call the previous owner to see where the car was serviced -- if you can get that ... and prove it was regularly maintained, then you can get the tranny fixed by Acura Canada's coin.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
How "crazy" is your vibration/shaking? I have an 02 TL-S with about 130000km too which I got 2.5 years ago. The tranny is still working but like what others have said, I don't know when it will give up on me. Sometimes I have that vibration when going uphill or accelerating in 3rd gear, but it's not to a point where it would scare me. By the way I live in Vancouver BC, Canada too. And is there any website where I can check my VIN number, as in whether I am still covered or not?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Eh?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iforyou
How "crazy" is your vibration/shaking? I have an 02 TL-S with about 130000km too which I got 2.5 years ago. The tranny is still working but like what others have said, I don't know when it will give up on me. Sometimes I have that vibration when going uphill or accelerating in 3rd gear, but it's not to a point where it would scare me. By the way I live in Vancouver BC, Canada too. And is there any website where I can check my VIN number, as in whether I am still covered or not?

I think every 02 tls are covered til 160,000km. I think you can just call any dealer and give them your VIN and ask if it is covered or not. Otherwise, use acura web site to see if you are covered.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by derrick
^ If you sell the car the way it is to a used car dealer ... you might luck out and the car not do anything funky on them during the test drive. You will get a value far below Black Book (so that might hinder your sale). If you sell privately, you have to tell the potential buyer of the problem you're experiencing if s/he asks or be liable for any bills they incur (ie if you lie and say it's 100% problem-free ... that's illegal since you are misrepresenting the status of the item you are selling. I think if you sell the car "as is" ... you still have to say what you KNOW is not working properly IF they ask you.)

I don't know what to tell you. If you got issues with money, then you might have to bite the bullet and get the tranny fixed or else it could crap out on you at an inopportune moment (ie on expressway!) Maybe call the previous owner to see where the car was serviced -- if you can get that ... and prove it was regularly maintained, then you can get the tranny fixed by Acura Canada's coin.
I think calling previous owner is not going to change anything. I bought my car at 45000km. Also if the previous owner reguarly maintainanced at the dealer, they would know becuase the VIN is the same.

I guess I am going to fix my tranny soon. But I kinda want to wait until something really happend, like finally dead. But I guess that's too dangerous and may cause other problems. Love the car but hate the tranny....
Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dnam85
I think every 02 tls are covered til 160,000km. I think you can just call any dealer and give them your VIN and ask if it is covered or not. Otherwise, use acura web site to see if you are covered.
hmm.......which Acura website should I use? I went to www.acura.com, and I found this "ownerlink" site, I registered for it, and entered my VIN. But they couldn't find my VIN, apparently they only have info for cars in the States. Is there any other website that I can check?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you tried .ca or acuracanada.com?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

hmmm I tried www.acura.ca too, and acuracanada.com doesn't exist....
Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Hey guys, I am still running on the bad tranny.....I don't know when it will die but I am just ignoring that vibration by just putting D4 on normal driving. When I put in D4, the shaking problem goes away, but I still feel the shifting is not too good.

How long did it take for the tranny to completely die once you found out your tranny is slipping? I am hoping to last it longer until I save up for the new tranny.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Type S personality

What winter tires do you guys use on your TL? I have Falken 512 all seasons, wonder if I need winters. I am in Calgary.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^that was really off topic???? lol