Is this ATF OK to use in our TL's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 08:35 AM

Lightbulb Is this ATF OK to use in our TL's?

http://www.mobil1.com/mobil1_racing/...atf/index.html

I bought a couple cases of Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF back when we had the Civic. Now that I have the TL, it has a stronger statement about only using Honda premium ATF. I'm cool with that, but this product qualifies as an equivalent or superior product, I want to make use of it.

Do any of you oil experts know?

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.
Comptech axle-back exhaust.
225/55ZR-16 RE730s on OEM alloys.
205/55QR-16 Alpins on steel wheels w/covers (winter).

Pictures
Old 12-30-2000, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline Sythetic is also one of the best ATFs...Mobil one should be sufficient, but most importantly, change it as frequently as you can afford. Especially because when you change ATF, you only get about 1/2 of the total amount out of the transmission. There's usually a quart or so sitting in the in the torque converter alone.

If you're planning on keeping the car for a while, or are operating in warm condidtions for most of the year, I'd say a tranny cooler is the way to go. A tranny cooler costs about $50, plus an hour or two to install...And when you change your ATF, it's much more efficient because you can put the hose with the used ATF coming out the tranny into a bucket, and the input hose into a bucket full of your synthetic ATF of choice.

I've been considering a tranny cooler myself, but I'll probably wait until winter's over

------------------
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." --Dark Helmet

www.distributed.net
Old 12-30-2000, 01:10 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey E, I don't recommend it. I have spoke with the tribologist at RedLine about their ATF's (they make several kinds) and he does not recommend anything for the TL except Honda's ATF. Most ATF's are parafinnic, and the componentry and additivs are specilaized to provide the proper engagement prorperties and pressure for all the valves in your AT. These oils are so light that there will be no HP or fuel economy gain expect at Arctic temps. For my money, I will stick with the Honda product. However, I do recommend swapping the original fill for the bottled ATF. In a previous post I discussed what can happen when 55 gal drums sit around, and the anti-wear compounds drop to the bottom of the vat. I store all my oils upside down so that I am assured all the goodies are getting used when I transfer the lubes to my car. I swapped the ATF a few weeks ago, and I swear (could be placebo effect) that the tranny ran smoother and had more positive shifts.

------------------
Rage On!
2000 TL w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Fender lips rolled
Old 12-30-2000, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, changing tranny fluid at home will leave a lot of old fluid in the pan and converter and all the little tubes. This is one of those jobs where it's worth it to go to a shop, and pay them to power flush the tranny. They have a machine that will get all the old junk out, and I seem to remember a lube stop type place around here that does it for like 60 bucks or so. I'm sure they'd be happy to put your fluid in that you brought them, but don't expect much of a materials credit on the price.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-30-2000, 09:34 PM

Cool

Thanks Road Rage. You were the expert I was hoping to hear from I haven't been around much, and didn't know if you were as well.

The ratings on ATF is kinda screwy... depending on the manufacturer. It's so hard to tell what is compatible with what!!

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.

Pictures
Old 12-31-2000, 02:04 AM
Pro

can i get some more info on the trnny cooler, i will be towing a motorcycle and want to add b/c of this also i want a small temp guage to go with it

------------------
2001 acura cl type s
coming to a garage
near you soon
1997 toyota 4runner ltd
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850 glt
Old 12-31-2000, 10:47 PM
Racer

You can obtain the actual tranny cooler from a variety of places.... www.carparts.com (go to www.importhookup.com first to get a coupon for a nice discount). Your local discount auto parts should carry one also. Basically, it's like a radiator, just a bunch of coils and fins. The cooler itself is attached to the front of the radiator, closer to the front of the car that is...and is held to the radiator with snap ties (I know it sounds low-tech, but you blow up gas to move a car, good job caveman....).

As for installation.....you could really do it yourself, but you could get a mechanic to do it for about an hours worth of labour...it's just up to you. Hell, Acura might even do it for you, it's good preventative maintenace...

Good luck man, a tranny cooler will add a good bit of life to your tranny, and remember a rebuild costs $2000+! :

------------------
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." --Dark Helmet

www.distributed.net
Old 01-01-2001, 09:23 AM
Not a Blowhole

Thanks Einstein, I am fine, just been busy with the Christmas thing, and my full-time job in IT, in addition to the audio and auto journalism.

I think RedLine is to be commended, BTW. It would be easy for them to give a lame-ass answer to a question about Honda ATF such as "we have never had a problem" or "you are the first person to ask" - the same crap we get at the auto dealers. Instead, they examie the propertries of the competition and get real-world results before making a recommendation. I have had this from them repeatedly in the past, such as saying that their MTL doesn't work very well in certain BMW manual boxes, even though it is rated to the same API GL spec. That sort of candid customer-centric focus is a class act.

BTW, I called a company that makes a Purple synthetic ATF and asked specifically whether it can be used it a Honda. The answer was "Our ATF can be used in any car" That is entirely bogus, what with Ford Type F, Chrysler's specific fluid, etc. Just underscores my point!

End of rant.

------------------
Rage On!
2000 TL w. Comptech header/exhaust
SSR Integral A2's
17x7 45mm offset
Pirelli P7000 (Summer) 215-50/17
Fender lips rolled
Old 01-01-2001, 11:49 PM

Question

When my car was in for service at 15,000 miles, they changed my tranny fluid and added "BG additive".

What do you think about the BG product they put into my car? I was kinda pi$$ed they used non-Acura additives, or any additives at all (per the owner's manual).

What do you think about using one of three quarts at each change Mobil 1 synthetic? Am I being stupid... maybe I should give it to a friend to get it out of my house?

------------------
2000 3.2 TL, Paper maps.

Pictures
Old 01-02-2001, 02:00 AM
Pro

thanks atomix

------------------
2001 acura cl type s
coming to a garage
near you soon
1997 toyota 4runner ltd
1992 camaro
1993 volvo 850 glt
Old 01-02-2001, 02:29 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I would just stick with Honda ATF. Just give the synthetic Mobil ATF to your friends.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 01-02-2001, 06:59 AM
Not a Blowhole

Einstein, amigo, there comes a time when you just got to let it go. Mixing will change the parameters, possibly enough to cause problems.

A point I missed in my first reply - what is to be gained from the Mobil 1? ATF is very thin to begin with, so you won't gain power or pumpability. And since you change the fluid often, there is no issue about extended drain benefits. I doubt M1 has significant benefits in this application. It might be useful in manual trannies that use ATF, but here RedLine MTL is tops in my experience. Do not use MTL in an auto, however.

Give it to a friend, a fiend, or Goodwill.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:04 AM
Not a Blowhole

I doubt the BG stuff will huret, but I also doubt it will benefit. It might be good to add it to top off the transmission at mid-life of the fluid (say 15k for normal people) to replenish the additive package of dirt suspension agents, anti-wear compounds, anti-oxidants, etc.

Some of the BG Products I would watch carefully, such as 44K. It is a very strong cleaner for the fuel system, but the solvents can (we determined this at Nutz and Boltz mag) delaminate the windings on some injector coils, ruining them. We also saw an instance where a product they make called Synchro-Synch messed up the shift quality of a BMW box.

Caveat emptor. Semper Fi!