Armor-all on the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 09:59 PM
MCD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Armor-all on the dash?

Should I use armor-all on the dash? I used it on my Integra with good results, but the dash on the TL is less plasticky and it appears to be a flat black (ebony interior obviously).

I'm afraid if I use Armor-All I'll get too much reflection on the windshield but I want to protect the dash from cracking or fading.

On another note, what do you guys recommend for the leather seats, and how often? This is my first car with leather seats.

Thanks for the info!

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S w/ Navi
Aegean Blue
Underbody kit
Spoiler

Former: 1997 Acura Integra GS-R
Pioneer Head Unit, CD-Changer, EQ, Boston Acoustics separates, 2 - JL 12W4s, Kicker & Pioneer Amps
Old 04-04-2001, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
IMHO: Do not use armor-all -- it's geared towards more vinyl/plasticky dashboards and interior parts. The flat black (flat parchment in my case) is a perfect match to the non-gloss leather upholstery. I thought about that too, but I quickly thought to try it in a little spot first, and now I'll totally avoid it in the future. However, I wonder how the armor-all would look on the Black plastic stereo fascia and instrument panel frames?? Maybe it would prevent the easy-scratches??

Old 04-05-2001, 07:13 AM
MCD
Instructor

So what do you use to protect your dash? The first time I did it, I just used a wet rag, but I'd like to put some kind of protectant on it especially with the summer sun coming (hopefully)

------------------
2002 Acura TL-S w/ Navi
Aegean Blue
Underbody kit
Spoiler

Former: 1997 Acura Integra GS-R
Pioneer Head Unit, CD-Changer, EQ, Boston Acoustics separates, 2 - JL 12W4s, Kicker & Pioneer Amps
Old 04-05-2001, 07:45 AM
The "old" guy

Cool

The dash is vinyl covered...Armorall will do fine on it as a protectant. As far as the reflections on the windshield, just try it and see. As for the leather, I have always used Lexol...as a matter of fact, I have already used it on my seats.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I was actually gunna ask the service-guy what he recommended or what Acura "recommended" (probably like $50 in cleaning supplies) to maintain the dash/plastic.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:58 AM

I was told by a few people that using Armor All on your dash can lead to it cracking. Dunno how much of that is true or not.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:22 PM
Pro

I don't know about you guys but armor all and other 'vinyl' protectants cracks dashes.

Under the sun, think of it as a suntan oil for your dash. Just as a magifying glass magnifies sunlight, the oils in these protectants magnifies the sun and cooks your dash--plus it's under the windshield so it also increases heat, creating a greenhouse effect on your dash.
Old 04-05-2001, 12:26 PM

I had my old Honda for more than 10 years without using any dash protectant or Armor-All crap. Some of the protectant product actually cause flacking! I haven't seen any hint of craking on any of the palstic/vinyl stuff on my 10+ years old Honda.

One time when I had it in the body shop for a fender repair. They detailed the car and put that slickery shiny stuff all over. It looked awful and I removed it immediately with a damp cloth.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by LegendCpeGS:
I don't know about you guys but armor all and other 'vinyl' protectants cracks dashes.

Under the sun, think of it as a suntan oil for your dash. Just as a magifying glass magnifies sunlight, the oils in these protectants magnifies the sun and cooks your dash--plus it's under the windshield so it also increases heat, creating a greenhouse effect on your dash.

LegendCpeGS,
I was told of that too. Therefore I have not put any protectant on any dashes on my cars.

Old 04-05-2001, 01:47 PM
The "old" guy

Arrow

Hmmm.....I've used armorall for years...many...many years. Never had a problem with any haze or film on the windows of any of my vehicles. Just dont use it on the steering wheel.....LOL!
Old 04-05-2001, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay use Lexol Cleaner to clean the seats.
Get Lexol Conditioner to protect them. Lexol also makes some stuff called Vynilex do not put this stuff on the dash. Its good for the trim around the bottom of the doors ect.
I have only cleaned the dash one time since I got the car. This was back last summer & I got the car Dec of 99. I used some stuff that I had around the house that I had used on my last car. I think it was called Dash Gaurd. I also put some Low Gloss ARMOURALL on.The dash was kinda oily but not to bad. The dash does not look bad now with nothing done since then. I will use one of them plege grab it Mitts to get the dust off. I also use my Sunshade & Carcover to protect the inside also. I was just looking at MAY 2001 CAR & DRIVER they have an add for MOTHERS PRESERVES PROTECTANT its say prevents cracking & its non oily. I might get a bottle & try a little every now & then.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by FTM-1 on April 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 04-05-2001, 11:17 PM
Instructor

I use Armor-All on my dash, but to avoid it being too reflective I use the Low Gloss Armor-All.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill
Old 04-05-2001, 11:21 PM
The "old" guy

Cool

Originally posted by Turbotc:
I was told by a few people that using Armor All on your dash can lead to it cracking. Dunno how much of that is true or not.
Just the opposite is true. Vinyl cracks when it loses its moisture. Thats why you use a protectant on it.

Old 04-05-2001, 11:26 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

I tried one of those vinyl-protectant products on the plastic trim - I made sure to buy the 'mattte' finish and everything - and it made the plastic look cheap. I couldn't wait until it wore off.

Another thing - as it evaporates, it will coat the inside of your windows with a thin, opaque film. It's a real pain to clean off.

Don't do it.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 04-06-2001, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Where do you get Lexnol?
Old 04-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JTang:
Where do you get Lexnol?
You can get Lexol at places like PEP BOYS, TRAK AUTO or other atomotive stores. You need a bottle of cleaner & a bottle of conditioner.