anyone thinking about the comptech rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post anyone thinking about the comptech rotors?

any of you heard of them? supposedly they arnt released yet.
comptech wants $150. im sure tims price will be well under that

theyre gold, crossdrilled

i figure i'll get them if my stock rotors warp again and another resurfacing isnt covered under warranty

whats the difference between cross drilled and slotted? slotted is more for racing right?

------------------
Follow as i ride
99 Satin Silver
oem kit
ctech exhaust
ctech sways
aem intake
system
Old 05-09-2001, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

I thought about them... but couldn't wait.
Old 05-09-2001, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I'll get Cross-drilled or slotted rotors pretty soon... Once I get sick of the vibrations when they come back.. I predict soon....reaaaal soon..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech Springs and Sways, CL Type S wheels wrapped with 225/45/17 Dunlop SP9000's, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, Gutter Guard Grille, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 05-09-2001, 06:18 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want the AEM rotors which are slotted and cross drilled on the same rotor. Unfourtunally they don't have them for us.
I will probably end up buying the comptech's when they come out, if they ever come out. I already have the vibrations again. My rotors were re-finish about two months......they really suck.

Originally posted by Shoofin'TL:
I'll get Cross-drilled or slotted rotors pretty soon... Once I get sick of the vibrations when they come back.. I predict soon....reaaaal soon..
Ed

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Bitium on May 09, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-09-2001, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish someone would release some rotors. I've already had mine resurfaced at 12k miles. Tim, what's the word on AEMs rotors??
Old 05-09-2001, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Talking

Yeah I thought about em - but I'll probably get the silver,cross-drilled OEM rotors like Nate has - not to fond of gold anything on my SSM.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

i dont like the gold color either

whats the point of buying the oem drilled rotors? sure, theyll last longer, but they are still oem
Old 05-09-2001, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by mr tl:
whats the point of buying the oem drilled rotors? sure, theyll last longer, but they are still oem
True. And there's no guarantee that they will not warp under hard braking. I'm also looking for a set of rotors that can take more abuse (eg. driving school).

And what does Comptech mean by 'Not for racing use!'? That the rotors are just for show and will handle no better than OEM?

------------------
2000 Acura 3.2 TL (Nav)[*]Comptech Springs[*]Home Depot Grill

Old 05-09-2001, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by eujinc:

And what does Comptech mean by 'Not for racing use!'? That the rotors are just for show and will handle no better than OEM?
good q. i guess you cant take them to the extreme-extreme

Old 05-09-2001, 10:16 PM
Instructor

The TL rotors are actually quite huge. I mean the calipers have hardly any breathing room from the inner edge of the rims. The front rotors are in fact a little larger that the NSX's front rotors (although the NSX's rear rotors are larger than it's front). Our rotors are also ventilated and yet they still warp (assuming lugs are torqued to specs and we don't do crazy things like splashing cold water to hot rotors).

So, the conclusion would be the material of the OEM rotors are less than desirable for the type of braking some of us subject our cars to. Hence, cross-drilled or slotted, they will still be prone to warpage.

------------------
2000 Acura 3.2 TL (Nav)[*]Comptech Springs & Sways[*]Home Depot Grill

Old 05-09-2001, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Bitium:
[B]I want the AEM rotors which are slotted and cross drilled on the same rotor. Unfourtunally they don't have them for us.
I JUST ORDERED THEM FOR THE 98-01 ACCORD V6 YESTERDAY. FRONT AND REAR! I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THEY WORK OUT.

------------------
2000 3.2TL[*]AEM CAI[*]COMPTECH SPRINGS[*]COMPTECH HEADER[*]COMPTECH EXHAUST[*]18" GIOVANNA BOLZANOS[*]WOOD DASH KIT[*]TLS TAILIGHTS[*]WW KIT,MUGEN SPOILER,
CUSTOM GRILLE [*]ICED WITH AUDIOBAHN,
JL, PANASONIC, DVD, PS2.[*]19" CLUB
MEMBERSHIP SOON
Old 05-10-2001, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by eujinc:
So, the conclusion would be the material of the OEM rotors are less than desirable for the type of braking some of us subject our cars to. Hence, cross-drilled or slotted, they will still be prone to warpage.
Not necessarily true... warped rotors could be the result of extreme braking and then holding the brake pedal down while stopped. This would hold the brake pad against the rotor, keeping the area of the rotor under the pad hotter than the rest of the rotor, causing uneven cooling and possible warpage.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.natestl.com/images/sigs/big/sig2big.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>
www.NatesTL.com 2001 Silver TL (non-navi), 19x8.0 +47 Alstadt IVs w/ Yokohama AVS Sport 235/35ZR19, SuperCrystal lug nuts, Inspire wood steering wheel & tails, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S AC trim, Alumapro BP-10 sub & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold amp, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), blue alarm LEDs, factory spoiler & body kit, Mugen grill, black chrome emblems, Solaris 9005 high beams, AEM short ram intake, Comptech sways, springs & exhaust, Apex'i V-AFC with custom install, all season mats, Polarg dome & map lights.

Not installed yet: Crossdrilled rotors, Axxis Metal Master brake pads, Denso iridium spark plugs.
Arriving someday: Comptech headers.
------------------
"Deadly to the eyes, worth seeing."
Old 05-10-2001, 09:54 AM
Retired MOD

Let me know for sure. Let Tim know too. I hope they work for our cars. Did you buy the big brake kit(4 piston caliper) or just the rotors. Thanks

Originally posted by DANK*TL:
I JUST ORDERED THEM FOR THE 98-01 ACCORD V6 YESTERDAY. FRONT AND REAR! I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THEY WORK OUT.

------------------
Old 05-10-2001, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Someone post a link...

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels with Bridgestone RE 730 - 225/45/17's. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 05-10-2001, 12:03 PM
Retired MOD

Exclamation

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/brakes14.html

Originally posted by MikeS:
Someone post a link...

------------------
Old 05-10-2001, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Nate:
Not necessarily true... warped rotors could be the result of extreme braking and then holding the brake pedal down while stopped. This would hold the brake pad against the rotor, keeping the area of the rotor under the pad hotter than the rest of the rotor, causing uneven cooling and possible warpage.

That's a good point. This actually reminded me of a driving school I attended a few years ago. We were told not to park our cars with the parking brake on after returning from each session. Just leave it in gear or risk warping the rear rotors due to uneven cooling. Of course, this does not apply to our TLs since we can leave it in park and the parking brakes are drums.

Either way, the rotors on my TL were warped under some rather 'enthusiastic' braking during one such school. I could feel it getting from normal, to bad, to worse (lugs were all torqued to specs).

------------------
2000 Acura 3.2 TL (Nav)[*]Comptech Springs & Sways[*]Home Depot Grill

Old 05-10-2001, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn they are $145 a piece!

------------------
Tom

2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Comptech drop in filter,Inspire tailights,Burlwood shift knob,Razo carbon fiber pedals,Inspire fog light switch (Piaa fogs on order),BEL 870 radar detector