Anyone lock Their keys in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Anyone lock Their keys in the trunk?

Guys---This week I did a bone headed thing by locking my keys in the car trunk. My last car had the keypad on the door and I sure wish this one did too. It caused a big problem for us as I was to take a bunch of friends out to dinner. Half of it I blame on the car not having a lock.......that way the keys would stay in the lock, not on the trunk floor when I had armfuls of stuff. Any ideas, hide a key?
Old 09-08-2001, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If I have arms full of stuff that needs to go into the trunk Im glad I dont have to try and do all the manuevering it takes to put the key into the keyhole. Just put the stuff down in the trunk and dont let go of the keys. I wouldnt blame locking your keys on the trunk on the fact that the car doesnt have a keyhole. If you had a remote release with all that stuff in your hands do you still think you would have used the key instead of the remote? On our Volvo S70 which has both I never use the key itself.

One thing I have on my car is a Clifford alarm with Remote Start, anti carjacking, etc, etc; its the Solaris. It wont let me unlock the trunk unless I disarm it first which opens my doors at the same time. An expensive option for just the trunk pop problem, but if you need an alarm as well....................
Old 09-08-2001, 10:55 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i see a c5 there in the background. Z06 maybe??? You should post pics of that...
Old 09-08-2001, 11:32 PM
Banned

Re: Anyone lock Their keys in the trunk?

Originally posted by QuickRick
Guys---This week I did a bone headed thing by locking my keys in the car trunk. My last car had the keypad on the door and I sure wish this one did too. It caused a big problem for us as I was to take a bunch of friends out to dinner. Half of it I blame on the car not having a lock.......that way the keys would stay in the lock, not on the trunk floor when I had armfuls of stuff. Any ideas, hide a key?
If you're still in the warranty period, call Acura TLC. That's one of the free services provided--unlocking your car when you lock your keys in it.

And I ditto what Mr. Hyde says. Same deal with my Clifford--I have to disarm the alarm to pop the trunk and that opens all doors (disarm). So if I then lock the keys in I can just go punch the button on the driver's door.
Old 09-08-2001, 11:51 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Anyone lock Their keys in the trunk?

Originally posted by pianoman41

If you're still in the warranty period, call Acura TLC. That's one of the free services provided--unlocking your car when you lock your keys in it.

That's what I did. I locked my keys in my TL a few months ago and I gave them a call. They sent me a tow truck guy who came and opened my door for me.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Haven't done that but I have been bitten by the autolock feature. I had set my keys on the console because I was going to be leaving in a few minutes, shut the door, came back out and the car had locked itself. Thankfully it was at home and I had the valet key. If you are going to leave the key in it, leave it in the ignition, because it won't lock the doors if the key is in the ignition.
Old 09-09-2001, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

If your a AAA member they will make you a plastic key that you can keep in your wallet so that you can unlock your car if you lock your keys inside.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:23 AM
Instructor

Had one

>> If your a AAA member they will make you a plastic key that you can keep in your wallet so that you can unlock your car if you lock your keys inside. <<

Had one of those for my ten year old car, but never got a chance to use it...the plastic thing would start that car too but our TL has some sort of chip or magnet that would preclude doing that with the AAA freebie....
Old 09-09-2001, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Anyone lock Their keys in the trunk?

Originally posted by BlackShadow

That's what I did. I locked my keys in my TL a few months ago and I gave them a call. They sent me a tow truck guy who came and opened my door for me.
I find what happened to you strange. I thought that the auto locking feature is disabled once a car door is opened. If you unlocked the door, opened it, and then put your keys on the dash, you should not have any problems.
I'm sure we've all been in the position where we have bags of groceries and first unlock the doors and then open the trunk. By the time you load the trunk, the car doors have already locked themselves again. I know do it in reverse order.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I keep a key outside the car just to avoid this sort of thing/

It is in a small poly bag, folded over, and silicone glued to the area behind the bumper vover. It stays pretty clean, and has bailed me out once or twice.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Always keep your valet key in your wallet in your pants pocket.
I have done this for the last 21yrs & got locked out once & did not have the key on me. That time it was a 4th of July & I had my 90 Accord in the middle of the street runnnig 95 degrees A/C on.
My elderly Aunt was in the front seat & trying to stand up to get out the car. She pushed the power lock & it locked all 4 doors.
This time my extra key was in my wallet inside the glove box in the car & I was outside. I waited for AAA for an hour & a half with the car running in the street. When I had my 94 Accord with Alpine Alarm I had the autolock/arm feature turned on. This will lock all doors & arm alarm. The installer said to always keep the spare key on you because the car will lock you out. In 6yrs of owning that car it never locked me out except when I was washing it & I had the keys in the house. My TL has the Clifford Alarm & the autolock/arm feature is also turned on. I still keep the key in my wallet. The Clifford Alarm will overide the the factory key in the ignition feature & lock the doors if the autolock part is turned on.
I say always keep the spare key in the wallet.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Had one

Originally posted by eztider
Had one of those for my ten year old car, but never got a chance to use it...the plastic thing would start that car too but our TL has some sort of chip or magnet that would preclude doing that with the AAA freebie....
There is a chip in our cars that will not let the car start without the original key, however the issue here is locking keys in our cars. I have the AAA key and it works fine to open the doors.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Road Rage
I keep a key outside the car just to avoid this sort of thing/

It is in a small poly bag, folded over, and silicone glued to the area behind the bumper vover. It stays pretty clean, and has bailed me out once or twice.
Free TL-S in Virginia!!!!
Old 09-09-2001, 04:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

It doesn't matter whether a trunk has a key hole or not. You can't really use the key hole if you don't have a key anyway.

I usually unlock the car or open the trunk without taking out the key chain from the pocket.
Old 09-09-2001, 04:37 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Had one

Originally posted by ferrari527

There is a chip in our cars that will not let the car start without the original key, however the issue here is locking keys in our cars. I have the AAA key and it works fine to open the doors.
If you're going to keep a key in your wallet (or purse for the ladies), make sure it will *only* unlock the doors and not start the car. I've known a couple of people that have either lost their wallet and/or had it stolen with a backup car key in it. Guess what happens? Someone finds the wallet (or the thief), reads the address off the license, goes to the house and gets themselves a nice ride with key and all. Take your chipped key and bring it to a locksmith and have another key cut without the chip. Put that one in your wallet or purse.

I have two car keys on me at all times, but neither are in my wallet. I have my remote (Clifford) and my regular car key by themselves on one ring that I use for the car. My house/work/P.O. box/misc keys are on another ring, which includes my valet key. So if for some unknown reason I lock my primary key in the car with the remote, I've got the other one to get in. Never locked myself out of a car in 17 years of driving as a result.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

My TL-S came with two sets of keys and remotes. I keep my house keys on a separate ring from my car key, as I hate the sound of jingling keys when I drive. If I do end up locking my keys in my car I can always get the spare remote from the house.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:55 PM
O.G.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone lock Their keys in the trunk?

Originally posted by Acuraboy

I find what happened to you strange. I thought that the auto locking feature is disabled once a car door is opened. If you unlocked the door, opened it, and then put your keys on the dash, you should not have any problems.
I'm sure we've all been in the position where we have bags of groceries and first unlock the doors and then open the trunk. By the time you load the trunk, the car doors have already locked themselves again. I know do it in reverse order.
I had locked all 4 doors with the remote. Then I forgot to get something from my trunk so I used the remote to open my trunk. I had to carry a few items so I put my keys down inside the trunk and closed it by mistake. So now all 4 doors are lock plus my the trunk with my keys IN it. I guess I didn't explained it clearly before.
Old 09-11-2001, 06:22 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keys

Guys--Your ideas were great. I'm really pleased with the idea of cutting a blank key without a chip in it, that way if I get loked out a hide-a-key is a safe way to get in without it starting my car.