anyone interested to know if stock Type-s catback will fit on the TL premiums?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
anyone interested to know if stock Type-s catback will fit on the TL premiums?

Any 99-03 base TL (non type-s) wanting to put stock type-s catback exhaust system on? I will have an answer soon.

Someone hit me from the rear a few months ago and bent up my exhaust pipes. I finally got around to ordering the stock TL type-s catback system(Mid-pipe/B-Pipe and exhaust.) Some might ask why did I go with stock stuff? Well I wanted to keep my car stock with mostly oem parts and since other aftermarket ones don't add that much HP I decided to go this route. I also didn't want a noisy exhaust. (just my preference)
I have heard it will not fit and I have also heard it will fit. So we'll see.

As for pipe differences, the type-s mid pipe and exhaust pipe from the Catalytic convertor to the exhaust is definately bigger in diameter.

btw, I am having them installed tomorrow. Stay tuned...
Old 02-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wont fit to the cat. without modifiying it I tried. Does anyone know if alphawerks headers will fit on the non type S? (someone with firsthand experience) I am planning on trying to put them on this Sat. Feb 12
Old 02-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Comptech Freak

headers will fit any model
Old 02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Comptech Freak

no the b-pipe will not fit since the exhaust resontor size is different

you should get a type-S cat converter as well
Old 02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Pro

Correct! out of the box it will not fit.... it will all line up correctly if it wasn't for the position of the type-s CAT and the flanges. If you take it to a shop to mandrel bend the pipe to meet up with our CAT, and adopt some new flanges... it will work just fine.

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by samkws
no the b-pipe will not fit since the exhaust resontor size is different

you should get a type-S cat converter as well
lol, I would but that would cost me a leg. dealer cost is around 750 I believe and you can't buy it used. So I'm going to have to live without it.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Correct! out of the box it will not fit.... it will all line up correctly if it wasn't for the position of the type-s CAT and the flanges. If you take it to a shop to mandrel bend the pipe to meet up with our CAT, and adopt some new flanges... it will work just fine.

Good luck!
yea man, thanks. I guess I'll find out soon enough tomorrow. I'm going to get my CT sways put in at the same time. I'll be posting what happens and/or what I had to do.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by ncxvtguy83
lol, I would but that would cost me a leg. dealer cost is around 750 I believe and you can't buy it used. So I'm going to have to live without it.
i would do the comptech axle back or apexi catback if i am you

it's not loud and has a nice sound, but not annoying at all
Old 02-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Alright, I got the TL type-s Mid pipe/B-pipe and exhaust installed on my car. Very minor adjustments had to be made for it to fit.

I think my car sounds a lil' more aggressive due to the type-s exhaust system. It might just be me but I think this swap gave me very minimal gains. It feels different, a little stronger in vtec. I wanted to drop a type-s catalytic converter in too, but it was too expensive and I don't need to replace my current catalytic conv.
*The type-s exhaust system is said to be 30% more free flowing than the base model TL's. These are minimal gains if any, so please don't ask if I have before and after #'s for you.
I would recommend this to anyone w/ a TL base premium if you have to replace your old system and wanted to keep a stock sytem on. If anyone wants to know more about this, let me know.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Comptech Freak

Alright, I got the TL type-s Mid pipe/B-pipe and exhaust installed on my car. Very minor adjustments had to be made for it to fit.

I think my car sounds a lil' more aggressive due to the type-s exhaust system. It might just be me but I think this swap gave me very minimal gains. It feels different, a little stronger in vtec. I wanted to drop a type-s catalytic converter in too, but it was too expensive and I don't need to replace my current catalytic conv.
*The type-s exhaust system is said to be 30% more free flowing than the base model TL's. These are minimal gains if any, so please don't ask if I have before and after #'s for you.
I would recommend this to anyone w/ a TL base premium if you have to replace your old system and wanted to keep a stock sytem on. If anyone wants to know more about this, let me know.
30%? i don't think so, even it has more free flowing the pipe diameter are still the same, so doesn't matter at all, and with only minimal gain

consider my comptech mufflers only give 2hp increase
Old 02-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Instructor

This is qouted by Honda themselves.
Go down to Exhaust System.
http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?m...asc&archives=t
Old 02-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Anyway, I didn't post this stuff to stirr up anything. Just wanted to share my experience of the install. I remember searching before with mixed information on this. anyhow, to anyone that cares. Hope this cleared it up.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested to know what you did to make it fit. However, the "Exhaust system" is pretty general, and the type-s catalytic converter is the one part that is probably substantially different from the tlp..
Old 02-12-2005, 03:15 AM
Instructor

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3014?m...asc&archives=t
EXHAUST SYSTEM
The lightweight, high-flow, dual-exhaust system in the 2003 TL is designed for low-restriction performance with minimal noise and vibration. The high-output Type-S engine has a larger-diameter exhaust pipe, an increased-flow, low-restriction catalytic converter, and ultra-high-flow capacity dual silencers. The result is a 30 percent increase in exhaust gas flow compared with the 3.2 TL. The Type-S also boasts an aggressive, performance-oriented exhaust note that settles into a subdued tone at cruising speeds.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:15 AM
Instructor

^
With the above statement, its obvious that it's the entire system from the catalytic converter to the very last component, dual exhausts/mufflers. From my visual observations I think the main components in the less restricted exhaust system is:
1) The low-restricted Catalytic Convertor
2) The Mid pipe, also called the B-Pipe (bigger piping and bigger resonator)
^ (ultra-high-flow capacity dual silencers)
3) Both of the actual Mufflers (both have bigger diameter piping on the B pipe side.)

*To clear things up, it's clearly stated that the Type-S catalytic converter is less restricted. It is not the only thing though. I also compared the TL premium and the TL-S entire Mid pipe side by side during the install, and the TL-S is slightly larger in diameter. Another observation is the two pipes are identical in shape, BUT the first Resonator on the TL-S mid pipe catalytic conv. side is bigger than the TL-P and is located further back. Hence, that probably has something to do with the more free flowing "exhaust system". I wish I had taken pictures, b\c the stock mid pipe on the TL-S looked like it was stainless steel and the first resonator looked much bigger and overall nicer. The third difference is the inlet part of the actual TL-S mufflers. They are bigger in diameter also.

From my visual observations and from what Honda states, I concluded it is the entire pipes from the Cat. all the way back that makes it more free flowing not just the cat. converter.

The install:
Everything aligned PERFECT, including the hangers. Despite the first resonator being bigger and placed closer to the 2nd resonator, it all aligned well. The ONLY modification I had to make to the mid pipe was to widen the 3 flange holes a slight bit to fit the cat. due to the bigger pipe diameter. I took a dremel type bit to make the three flange holes that mount to the cat. a little bit bigger. It was not much, maybe .5 cm on each 3 holes. It was tough though, we were using an air compressor dremel and it took about 2 minutes. **(Common sense, be very careful when drilling metal b\c a lot of metal pieces/sheddings will be flying around. I say let a professional do it to avoid any dangers)** My buddy and I had the car on the lift so it was easy to install. -The car did sound very slightly different, more tone in it. Sounds slightly more aggressive. Goodluck to all that will gain from this.

*AGAIN, becareful if you are drilling the hole on the flanges and wear proper eye protection and hand protection. You don't want any metal sheddings in your eye or losing a finger. Kind of dangerous so just simply take it to a muffler shop or Do at your OWN Risk.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro

ncxvtguy83, thanks for taking the time to explain, subjects like this one, are prone to cause some stir.... We all know that an exhaust in general, regardless of OEM, aftermarket, etc Will not yield much gains.

I look at it this way, many people say, headers is the only thing that trully produce power, and it's worth the money, and you should only get them, yes, it's the one bolt on that produces more power for the money.... but think about it! If we only added headers, which for our cars produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-17hp... And we neglected other mods like:

ICE Box = 5-7hp 250.00
UR Pulleys = 4-6 240.00
TB spacers = 1-2hp 60.00
type-s TB = 1-2hp 120.00
axle/cat back systems (Type-s for premium models or aftermarket) = 2-3hp depends, junk yard for the type-s and aftermarket could be 300.00 - 1100

Ground wires and spark plugs, just help bring everything together, and I did not even get in to the addition of a VAFC.

Aprox total hp neglected = 16hp almost equal to headers and that impact the entire power band.... We all know you can't just messure horse power gains by just adding numbers, but you get the picture. With an exhaust giving you less bang for your buck

If modifying your car is a hobby, and squeezing power out of your car with some bolt-on's or changing the body or adding audio and video is your thing, then do it!

Many people don't touch their cars in that way, because it's a lease or they just don't own it. If it's yours, you can do whatever you want with it.

Enjoy modding brothers!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent info..I have the axlebacks now and I was looking for a solution similar to the type-s catbacks..sounds like the type-s systems will fit pretty easily with the above mods.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the positive inclined response El Pana. I respect that and I totally agree with you about mods that have more bang for the buck. I couldn't agree more. I mean who wouldn't if they had the money? I agree that everyone has their own personal preference when modding their cars' is involved. Again, I'm not trying to cause any anomosity among our group, which shows a lack of maturity. I posted this already, my intentions of this thread was NOT to PROVE any specific gains or best bang for the buck of this setup. It was to expand and inform the possibilities for other TL-P owners that the stock TL-S catback would be a perfect OEM Factory upgrade replacement if neccessary.(I didn't say how much of an uprade b\c I don't know, but hey it's an upgrade for the same price) So just another positive note, continue to do what pleases you and be happy.

My main objective of this thread was to inform others of this experience that are in the same scenario. This thread wasn't intended to prove HP numbers after the stock TL-S catback install. As I posted above from:
Post #9

It might just be me but I think this swap gave me very minimal gains.
I would recommend this to anyone w/ a TL base premium if you have to replace your old system and wanted to keep a stock system on. If anyone wants to know more about this, let me know.
If you read my first post, someone rear ended me and bent up my entire exhaust. So I planned on replacing it from the get go. I have heard other catback systems not yielding much gains, so in MY PREFERENCE I just decided to preserve the stock exhaust components and just chill for the time being with stock resonance. Instead of buying the TL-P catback system, why not get the TL-S for the same price. For the same amount of money I was going to spend for the stock system, atleast I knew it was an Upgrade. So that worked for me. Again, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying an aftermarket catback. This was just for the very few TL-P's that might find this info useful as it served for my main purpose, which was replacing my damaged stock catback system for a better stock one for the same price. Goodluck to everyone and their modding. I'm still a newbie, but only to the TL scene. Thanks guys while I continue to enjoy this site with the knew knowledge thats available everyday.