Anyone experienced engine Damage/premature wear from UR pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:33 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone experienced engine Damage/premature wear from UR pulleys

I have been browzing the thread on this topic below and a question that hasn't been addressed yet was premature engine wear due to using UR pulleys ...

Has anyone here had solid evidence that the lighter pulleys will cause premature engine wear?

Understand that this car isn't designed to drivin' WOT all the time like some members drive. I drive casually with my Tl and enjoy the Hp and torque it has. I would obviously want more and I am leaning twords the UR pulleys because of the low end gains - most MODS will give high end HP which isn't as useful for casual driving - .

The main reason for these comments on the premature wear, was because the stock pulleys have a "Harmonic Ballancer" or something like that??

Someone made the comment that race cars that use these racing pulleys have the ability to rebuild the engines after each race, and we obviously don't.. Race cars are also driven for the majority of the time fractions from redline, hence "racecar".

So my question, as long as you don't always drive like a maniac, would the pulleys cause much engine damage?

and, How long has anyone here had pulleys installed on their car? any problems? any reccomendations regarding the "charger seriese" vs the "regular" UR pulleys?

Thanks for any replys ......
Old 05-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
that old thig about them causing the engine to wear out came along time ago, from alot of cars havng to remove the harmonic balancer, that isnt a issue on the honda. i have a honda engine that has over 150,000 mile on it with a whole set of ur pullies on it and its still running (well it would be if i were to ever put it back into another car)
it wont make a divverence on how you drive either. if you like to hammer on it alot you will be fine. on the tl the only thing you are replacing is a pullie and not a balancer.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:59 PM

it seemed like the ballancer was built into the pulley, I have no first hand knoledge with this, but it sounded that way when I read the other post.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
on the tl the only thing you are replacing is a pullie and not a balancer.
fsttyms1:
can you confirm this statement? i'm with residualfreedom on this one, as i've heard that the harmonic balancer was designed as part of the stock crank pulley. if you can drop a link or show me something that proves the harmonic balancer is not part of the oem crank pulley, then i would feel "safe" about doing this UR crank pulley mod. let me know what you find out. thx!
Old 05-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My opinion about the whole problem with worrying about a mod damaging something on your car is..

DON'T DO IT IF YOU ARE PARANOID ABOUT AN AFTERMARKET PART DAMAGING YOUR CAR.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongolian
Old 05-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by patrick
fsttyms1:
can you confirm this statement? i'm with residualfreedom on this one, as i've heard that the harmonic balancer was designed as part of the stock crank pulley. if you can drop a link or show me something that proves the harmonic balancer is not part of the oem crank pulley, then i would feel "safe" about doing this UR crank pulley mod. let me know what you find out. thx!
this was covered indeapth last year. i cant find the thread but its in there.
i have to agree with Mongolian though.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mongolian
My opinion about the whole problem with worrying about a mod damaging something on your car is..

There is a big difference between Research and Paranioa, this is the first time I have asked questions about this and the search feature isn't working so I thought I would ask. that is usually the best way to research something you're going to be doing to your car...ask questions....but thanks anyway.

fsttyms1 : have you had the pulleys on a while, I would assume you have. It looks like you have been modding a while. I was just looking for someone that has had them installed a while for an opinion. I am leaning twords picking one up, I think I will pick up the charger series though..
Old 05-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Show me da MONEY

You might want to get some first hand info from chuckstl. I met him at one of our track meets here in MD. He has pulley's and plenty of other mods on his 2000 TL, and he has 175,500miles on it. I'm curious to know what his input would be. I am also thinking about purchasing the UR crank pulley, so any info is greatly appreciated. There are a few post on the CL site regarding these as well.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
There is a big difference between Research and Paranioa, this is the first time I have asked questions about this and the search feature isn't working so I thought I would ask. that is usually the best way to research something you're going to be doing to your car...ask questions....but thanks anyway.

fsttyms1 : have you had the pulleys on a while, I would assume you have. It looks like you have been modding a while. I was just looking for someone that has had them installed a while for an opinion. I am leaning twords picking one up, I think I will pick up the charger series though..
i dont have them on my tl (if i had the spare money to spend on them i would have them) but i have had them on many other cars. my friend has had them on his maxima for close to 100k now and no problems what so ever. many members have them and their engines are fine. yea i would check with chuckstl, he has the mos miles on his car and probably has the most miles on the ur pullies
Old 05-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Just get 'em!

I think there is one story total of any problems with the pulleys and it was due to some rather unrelated issues.

The pulleys are pretty sweet. They almost give a bit of a supercharger whine when they wind up. The car responds noticeably quicker and at the top end the needle gets to redline a whole lot faster. If anything, I, and a number of members of ACL.com, have noticed that the car actually feels smoother after the install. You wouldn't believe the difference in weight and quality compared to the stock parts!
Old 05-13-2004, 11:51 PM
O.G.

Damn, now I need to get them. I hate you guys!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:07 AM

check and mate.....here come the pulleys
Old 05-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Do it! Order the gates belts once you get them and you'll be set!

I ordered the polished set and they look sweet. Also, just order the whole set so you can see them--the crank is almost not visible unless you really look for it.

You really feel them in the top end-as ususal for our cars--but the low end revs up faster as well. Money well spent.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Racer

did u guys get the Ultra S or the Ultra Sc version?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:31 AM
In Pursuit of Perfection

If i purchased only the UR crank pulley will everything still work fine? purchasing the 3 peice set doesnt increase ne gains correct? Are the other 2 pulleys just for show and are just lighter? So the major part is the crank pulley which gives hp/tq?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah 30,000 miles of pure abuse on my pulleys, no problems at all!
Old 05-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcuraTL2000
If i purchased only the UR crank pulley will everything still work fine? purchasing the 3 peice set doesnt increase ne gains correct? Are the other 2 pulleys just for show and are just lighter? So the major part is the crank pulley which gives hp/tq?
yea the otheers sre for show. all you really need is teh crank pulley